Happy Belated Birthday Steve Irwin!

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I still remember hearing about his death. I was sitting on the train with my mates coming home from school and we heard the rumours. I didn't believe it until I got home and had it confirmed, he just seemed like the kind of guy who was larger than life.

Happy B'day Steve. I never really got you when I was younger, but I can recognise all the work you did now.

Jack Macaque

Jan 29, 2011
Best wishes to his family, this was a sad moment for me when he passed, he was and will always be missed.

RIP

Happy Birthday.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
A great loss for the world, especially for kids, he had a major influence on them. Still, he knew the risks of the business and sadly he lost that bet.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
baconsarnie said:
warprincenataku said:
I think we stop counting birthdays once someone has died.
It's actually quite common to still remember anniversaries after people have died, a birthday has so much more meaning knowing that person never got to be that year older.

OT: He was a serious legend, you might take the piss out of him but you can't fault him for doing what he loved.
RIP dude
The problem with this logic is when does one stop counting birthdays. Do you say, "If Steve Irwin was alive today he'd be 65. He'd be 100. He'd be 265!"

Yes he was epic, yes his death was a great loss, but I just don't understand the logic about wishing a dead man a happy birthday.

America still celebrate's past presidents' birthdays, this is another mystery to me. I'm not trying to be insensitive, just curious is all.

Agreed, RIP Crocodile Hunter.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
No fond memories.

I honestly couldn't stand him in his shows. At all.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
warprincenataku said:
baconsarnie said:
warprincenataku said:
I think we stop counting birthdays once someone has died.
It's actually quite common to still remember anniversaries after people have died, a birthday has so much more meaning knowing that person never got to be that year older.

OT: He was a serious legend, you might take the piss out of him but you can't fault him for doing what he loved.
RIP dude
The problem with this logic is when does one stop counting birthdays. Do you say, "If Steve Irwin was alive today he'd be 65. He'd be 100. He'd be 265!"

Yes he was epic, yes his death was a great loss, but I just don't understand the logic about wishing a dead man a happy birthday.

America still celebrate's past presidents' birthdays, this is another mystery to me. I'm not trying to be insensitive, just curious is all.

Agreed, RIP Crocodile Hunter.
It's just part of remembrance, it stops when people stop doing it depending on how important he was to any given person. Although obviously it has to end when he passes out of living memory

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The only reason people remember him fondly is because he's dead.

Seriously, the guy was a total moron. Dangling his own baby infront of a crocodile; An icon indeed.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
It's always sad when we lose a world legend. Well all I can say is Happy birthday and we surely miss you.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
I'm baffled by the hypocrisy in Australia regarding Steve Irwin.

Before his death, he was "making Australia a stereotype." He was considered on par with the "shrimp on the barbie" ad.

Then, after his death, he was a national icon, our greatest hero. Now, I'm not saying support for him is a bad thing, but it were me, I'd be insulted that all the attention was only due to my tragic death, not all the good I've done. Of course, people will say that he was remembered because of all the good he did, but none of that was even considered before his death.

Just a thought.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I remember when he came to New Zealand and was extatic about finding, of all things he deals with, a hedgehog. He was absolutely overjoyed. It was wonderful to see, the guy had such passion.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well, it's the first time I've seen this kind of thread.

Well, I have fond memories of the man, so, yeah, Rest In Peace, sir.

Saying "Happy Birthday" doesn't really seem that right.

Laurie Barnes

May 19, 2010
Casual Shinji said:

Seriously, the guy was a total moron. Dangling his own baby infront of a crocodile; An icon indeed.
Fair enough. But we still miss him. Seriously, a sting ray? It should have been a croc or a shark at least.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
It's not my birthday. Oh... oh you meant him. Well. My mistake.

It's too bad he had to go the way he did. The good die young, as they say. And I know that some say that he should've expected to die from the dangerous lifestyle he lived, but he was a professional at what he did. His death was still unlikely and still tragic.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Omg, I forgot about his guy.

I remember when he dangled his new born Daughter over the Crocodiles lol. What the fuck?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Laurie Barnes said:
Casual Shinji said:

Fair enough. But we still miss him. Seriously, a sting ray? It should have been a croc or a shark at least.
I'll admit that the first time I saw him do his thing years back, it was new and interesting to see a guy do a nature documentary in this fashion. But after a while you could tell it wasn't about showing the beauty of nature, but about Steve crying for attention. He reminded me of a little 8-year old screaming, "Mom, mom, look over here! Look what I can! Look over here, come on! Come on, watch this!!!"

Plus, it paved the road for other overreactors like Bear Grylls. *shudder*

As for the stingray. What did you expect? The guy was all about handling crocodlies, snakes and other deadly animals. A stingdray was probably the least thing he expected to be dangerous.