Happy Doctor Who Day!

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Happy Doctor Who Day!

Everyone's favorite time lord started traipsing around the universe 47 years ago today.

On November 23, 1963, William Hartnell began gracing televisions as Doctor Who, the Time Lord who zipped around the universe in a TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space) disguised as a police call box. 47 years later, the Doctor is in his eleventh incarnation, and the show is back in production after a hefty hiatus.

Today isn't a birthday so much as an anniversary, as the show has not been airing for 47 consecutive years. The first show aired on the BBC until its cancellation in 1989. A television movie briefly satiated fans' desire for more Doctor Who, until the series was reinvigorated in 2005. Matt Smith is currently gracing television screens as the Doctor, having just this year taken over for the Tenth Doctor, David Tennant.

Source: BBC: Doctor Who [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_101123_02/Happy_Anniversary]

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
This page written in psychic html in order to be the most awesome news ever.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Not only is it Doctor Who day, it's also my favourite teachers birthday. He's a also a huge Doctor Who fan.

Feb 13, 2008
The most awesome news would be that Michael Grade admitting he was wrong for cancelling it. And Russel T Davies admitting it was the fans that helped bring it back. But I guess I can settle for just awesome.

Happy First Regeneration Gallifreyan Orbit Cycle, Doctor.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
47 years? I knew it had been around for a while but I didn't think it was that long, obviously I was mistaken. Happy Birthday Doctor Who, may your future incarnations be awesome and your TARDIS always be a police box.

nmaster64

Nov 7, 2007
bleachigo10 said:
47 years? I knew it had been around for a while but I didn't think it was that long, obviously I was mistaken. Happy Birthday Doctor Who, may your future incarnations be awesome and your TARDIS always be a police box.
It's the longest running and most successful sci-fi series in history.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
nmaster64 said:
bleachigo10 said:
It's the longest running and most successful sci-fi series in history.
I knew that much, but for some reason I was under the impression that it started in the 80's. Now I just feel stupid.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Anything acknowledging William Hartnell is A-OK in my book. Bout time these kids realise there is alot more DW than Tennant and co.

Also BEST AND MOST INFLUENTIAL SCI-FI SHOW EVER. Happy birthday DW, god you're/were awesome.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Is it seriously another month til the next instalment, feels like it hasn't been on for ages

That first episode was all about man first discovering fire and the doctor getting involved, pretty interesting sci fi concept and pretty fun series

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Ubermetalhed said:
Anything acknowledging William Hartnell is A-OK in my book. Bout time these kids realise there is alot more DW than Tennant and co.
TESTIFY!

In addition, please allow me to point out just one thing: Bow ties are cool. :)

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
When I was really young, my dad and I used to watch Doctor Who on PBS. This went on for years and it used to scare the shit out of me!

I recently just got back into Doctor Who and have been really enjoying it especially because it brings such feelings of childhood nostalgia. I cherish the time I spent sitting next to my dad on the couch watching such a zany show. Now, when watching the newer ones, the nostalgia heightens the experience and I absolutely love it.

Yay Doctor Who!!

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I love Doctor Who, I even own a remote control Darlek based of Invasion Earth. Shame the current stuff is somewhat lacking.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Happy Doctor Who Day? Aw man! No one ever tells me anything!

Well, happy birthday, Doctor, and many years to come!

Nostalgia Ripoff

Sep 2, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
Well all he has to do to fix that chameleon circuit is just try hot-wiring the fragment links and superseding the binary, binary, binary...

OT: This makes me feel ashamed as a Doctor Who fan because I never saw the original series. I'm sorry, but I don't want to go look for decades of episodes and serials just to get the full back story.

Zahri

Dec 15, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Ubermetalhed said:
TESTIFY!

In addition, please allow me to point out just one thing: Bow ties are cool. :)
Ah, you forget to mention in your addendum the coolness factor of the almighty FEZ.

I believe i have won. =3