Happy New Year: Netflix To Stream Internationally In 2011

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Happy New Year: Netflix To Stream Internationally In 2011

Netflix, buoyed by its success in the Canadian streaming market, intends to expand its international streaming services in 2011.

Netflix entered the Canadian streaming market in September, and spokesman Steve Swasey told CBC News that the company would very likely break even finiancially by next September, a very short time in which to become profitable. Based on this success, Swasey says the company is looking to branch out into other international markets in 2011. He was vague regarding specific countries, or even continents; his exact words, as quoted by CBC, were, "based on the early success of Netflix.ca we're going to continue our international expansion next year and we're going to allocate significant dollars to it."

Netflix's streaming services in Canada have gone over well, despite some misunderstandings and weird omissions in service. According to CBC, Swasey says many Canadian customers expected Netflix to provide streaming access to many new releases, and complained, "where's my Avatar or It's Complicated," about which Swasey notes, "we've had to do a little bit of resetting of expectations." Netflix's solution is to be more proactive with marketing new titles when they're available to stream.

Another complaint is that there is no way to set up a queue of streaming films, known as an "Instant Queue" in the U.S. Bizarrely, Netflix has no intention of adding this feature to its Canadian streaming service. My stupid computer kept recognizing my U.S. presence, and kept redirecting me away from the Netflix.ca site, so I couldn't observe this weirdness first-hand.

Source: Geek [http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/12/24/netflix-canada.html]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Yeah, I would be all over this if the selection was any good.
But it really isn't. Nothing really new, and the TV shows are laughably bad in terms of selection.

When they get more up-to-date, then I'll happily slap down my $10 a month.
Until then, I just don't see the value in it.

However, this is good news that they are expanding internationally. Hopefully this'll bolster their profits in a way that allows them to concentrate, as they suggest in the article, on more up-to-date content.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Going international huh? How about you guys finish hashing deals in canada so the selection of movies isn't so shitty. We get like new releases half as often as the US and no dvd by mail and all they did was shave 1 dollar off. Seems like anything worth watching has a big fat unavailible in your region on it.

There limited selection is so laughable that yesterday when my subscription was supposed to renew, I bumped it back to the end of january because it wasn't worth the money, I mean All I watch on there is anime's I never got to see before and for some reason the new season of heroes, the rest of it is just tiny.

Edit: and fix the bloody instant ques, what the hell kind of wii version of netflix do these chumps expect us to shell out for.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This is awesome! I hope it comes to Sweden, and we're big on TV, so we should be a nice market. I also hope we'll get it on Xbox live. I guess I'm not quite ready to get excited yet, but it's going in the right direction!