Hard boss in an easy game?

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
The King of Fighters series.

If you play it on a medium difficulty so that the opponents are a good challenge, but not insurmountable, then you get past the playable characters, to the boss, and he is cheap as fuck. He can summon his special moves at any time without limitation, and some of them are even unblockable. He does far more damage than you, and takes a lot more.

So, I decide that, in order to get through the game, I will play it on the easiest level. I get through the playable characters like a lawnmower over grass, and reach the boss again. I do a bit better, but I'm STILL not beating him. (I fluked out a couple times, but they were purely flukes.) In one of the games, I finally managed to beat the boss, only to discover that there was one more after him, who can essentially kill you at will, and so I haven't the slightest clue how one should even TRY to beat him. I seem to even recall a special move that strikes from behind so that it's impossible to block...

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Hel in Viking:Battle for Asgard.Not the hardest game in the world.Think I only died maybe 8-10 times up until the final boss and a few of them were through my own stupidity but goddamn I just can't beat that *****

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
D Bones said:
De Ronneman said:
Ron stays behind fallen rubble. He has an acceptable attack stat, compared to everyone else's. .
That's where I call BS. Everyone that has seen those movies knows Hermione should have a better Strength statistic than Ron or Harry!!!!

P.S. I love those movies.
It's physical attack, so it's okay. Hermione has the best Magic attack. Harry has high defences. Pretty useless to send a tank to a fight where DPS is what you need...

Nov 28, 2007
Poison Ivy in Arkham Asylum. Dear lord...the second part of the battle is doable on Normal, but on Hard, it's insane. Oh, so I just have to dodge vines and attack the guards attacking me at the same time, and if any guard is in the way of me dodging the vines, I just flip over him and get attacked anyways? Fun!

Other than that, on Normal, the battle against two Venom Giants and an optional mob is brutal if you are a noob like me and didn't realize the mob is optional. Fun.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I haven't looked through the entire thread so I might have been ninja'ed but Hells Gate from a JRPG called The Last Remnant. It is the half-way-through-the-game boss, so should be challenging but definitely doable, it's part of the story afterall. The rest of the game, for the main story arc, has an occasional challenging part but is all what you'd expect, except this guy.

I can't remember if it had a mad move that it abused or not, I think it did. The main trouble though was that it attacked loads of times per turn, when it should only get one attack it attacked at least three times. I tried for about two weeks on/off (on = come on I can do it!, off = fuck this cheating mug I'm going out!!!) before giving up and starting the game from scratch (no saves outside of the dungeon). Beat him the second playthrough because I'd abused a weirdness in the levelling system so that I was much more powerful than I should have been at that level.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Brok3n Halo said:
On the Ares in God of War he's pretty variable. The first time I got to him he just kept getting into a sequence that wold completely own every time I'd get get him low on energy. Each match would be exhaustively long because of the constant back and forth and a shared health bar.eventually I got so angry I turned off the system and walked away (I rarely get angry at anything and usually never take a break from a challenging part of a game, I'm more the type to keep obsessively trying until I succeed) Turned it on an hour or two later and he was a piece of cake. It's happened multiple times too. and every time he is insanely hard and cheap, he stays that way until I restart the console. I think it's a AI glitch. Or a very cruel practical joke...
Now that you say that... I think that you might be right...
He was impossible to beat when I was trying over and over but when I turned off the console and went away for 10 minutes he was a piece of cake.

That or I just had to chill down a bit :p
And overall GoW was quite easy game for me... except for walking on those damn planks
I HATE THOSE DAMN PLANKS IN GOW! I died like a bagillion times on those damn things!

Generator said:
MadeinHell said:
God of War. Entire game was easy (maybe even too easy)
What the heck are you talking about? Climbing those stupid rotating towers with the spikes on them in Hades is driving me insane! Combat-wise, though, I agree.
MY GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THESE O)o!
Thanks now I will have nightmares again... and I need to buy myself some adult diapers.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
end_boss said:
The King of Fighters series.

If you play it on a medium difficulty so that the opponents are a good challenge, but not insurmountable, then you get past the playable characters, to the boss, and he is cheap as fuck. He can summon his special moves at any time without limitation, and some of them are even unblockable. He does far more damage than you, and takes a lot more.

So, I decide that, in order to get through the game, I will play it on the easiest level. I get through the playable characters like a lawnmower over grass, and reach the boss again. I do a bit better, but I'm STILL not beating him. (I fluked out a couple times, but they were purely flukes.) In one of the games, I finally managed to beat the boss, only to discover that there was one more after him, who can essentially kill you at will, and so I haven't the slightest clue how one should even TRY to beat him. I seem to even recall a special move that strikes from behind so that it's impossible to block...
Same thing in tekken 4. I can beat every other enemy in the game without much trouble on normal (I'm not stupid ;P I don't even try higher dif) but the final boss...
It's just trial and error. Mostly error... well basically if he uses "the super beam" that takes 60% of your health (it's basically unblockable because you don't know he's going to do it and the animation takes like 4ms) and he can INSTANTLY attack you h2h after that = YOU ARE SCREWED.

So the fight is basically:
1. You start the battle
2. MASH THE BUTTONS MASH THE BUTTONS MASH THE BUTTONS (Believe me I tired tactics they don't work)
3. MUSH SOME MORE
4. If he uses the super beam ignore point 2-3 and simply restart the fight.

I hate that guy...

sarge1942

May 24, 2009
paper mario, 6th boss, cloud guy, in one turn he could regenerate all of his health, he could generate additional men who would heal him, his attacks did more damage than you, you had to use massive amounts of items and stuff to kill him, the 7th, 8th, and final boss were defeated by me on my first try, but the 6th took me like 50 tries.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Trismagia in Devil May Cry 2. The game is piss-easy, but that boss is controller-snappingly difficult.

MetricFurlong

Apr 8, 2010
I don't know that I would call Lost Odyssey easy, but the two hardest bosses in the game are both on the first disk: The Grilgan, a huge griffin-like creature, and the Bogimoray, a huge electric worm.

The Grilgan is hugely overpowered, but very straightforward: you attack as hard and as often as you can, and if it doesn't choose to do its superattack more than once, you may survive.

The Bogimoray, however, is just nightmarish. It has an appalling amount of health relative to your damage capabilities, and can charge a superattack that deals ridiculous damage and paralyzes your whole party. And when you finally kill the thing, which so far has made for one of the hardest battles in the game, another one immediately spawns, at full health, with its superattack fully charged. It's so ridiculously unfair. No other boss in the game is as frustrating.
I take you've managed to repress such fights as the battle against Kakanas' tank brigade on disk 4. This fight is essentially impossible unless basically your entire team is immune to fire damage, due to the fully charged cannon shot which hits your entire party for about 2k damage each. Which he can do pretty much every single round, a lot faster than you can heal. The kicker? It is entirely possible to reach this fight without even being aware the the fire-proof skill exists, let alone having the item that grants it in your possession. At least with Bogimoray (who is still horrific) you will definitely have access to anti-paralysis which if you set it to everyone makes the fight notably easier.
Living Ice, however, is another matter entirely. You're forced to fight this guy with a party consisting entirely of spell-casters. Not too bad, you might think. Except he casts reflect. At random. And his casting speed is guaranateed faster than yours. Given how casting in Lost Odyssey works, if you're unlucky he'll cast it immediately after you've ordered most of your casters to hit him with their offensive spells, all of which will promptly hit you and most likely kill at least a couple of your own party after which he'll simply crush the rest of you. Even if you get lucky about when he casts it, you're then forced to use your weaker physical attacks. Even then, you could probably deal with this if it weren't for the fact he can also cast a powerful shield spell thereby making your attack damage almost nonexistent. All of which basically makes defeating him largely a matter of luck.

Lost Odyssey boss fights are an... interesting experience. To the extent they can outdo the Original Shadow hearts, and given some the incredibly cheap status-effect inducing tactics the bossess would pull in that one that's no mean feat. On the other, any boss in Lost Odyssey that isn't rage-inducingly bad is typically a complete pushovere. The game doesn't have much middle-ground/

The final boss of Shadow Hearts: Covenant. The entire game is pretty easy and you don't really have to go out of your way to keep up the difficulty.
But then you get to the final boss and it pretty much ***** slaps you across the face
I actually had no trouble with him whatsoever, although I was probably a bit over-levelled due to having beaten the optional boss beforehand (who is a major, major, pain).

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
For me the bosses that come to mind are the "floor bosses" in persona 3 some of them were just plain mean while the actual full moon bosses were super easy even on hard mode. Also that hidden boss you can fight in Kingdom hearts one in Agrabah on the magic carpet beat me silly like 10 times before I could get him done.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts. It probably could have been easier but I was like level 50 (I think) and well the rest of the game was easy by that point.

Kurt Zisa was also another PISSY boss, but I did beat him eventally.

Sorafrosty

Nov 19, 2009
real life potato said:
Golden Sun. I flew through the campaign with little trouble. But f*kin Deathbeard.... And in Golden Sun 2, Dullahan is a freaking beast that I will have nightmares about because he is so difficult.
I remember that too. Deathbeard came as a surprise to me the first time when walking around on that ship of his, as I did not know that he would pop up, and I was not prepared with all my djinn set... Silly me for thinking that a ghost-looking ship would be filled with free treasure. The again, Dullahan was so much worse. So much worse.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
LordNue said:
Silver Patriot said:
Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts. It probably could have been easier but I was like level 50 (I think) and well the rest of the game was easy by that point.

Kurt Zisa was also another PISSY boss, but I did beat him eventally.
Zisa was the only one of those super hard optional bosses I beat my very first time playing the game. The phantom was the one that I couldn't ever get close to dead. Sure I beat them on my second and third (Which was most likely my final playthrough of that game forever) playthroughs but fuuuck phantom still gives me a ton of trouble. Maybe I'm retarded.
He was difficult. I lost the first time playing against him but I didn't realise he was doing that instideath thing at first. After you got past that. (By spamming Time Stop if I remember correctly) he was more annoying than anything. He wasn't easy though. None the optionals were. (Well maybe Ice Titan) I remember Tinker Bell saved my life so many times in thoes fights.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Generator said:
MadeinHell said:
God of War. Entire game was easy (maybe even too easy)
What the heck are you talking about? Climbing those stupid rotating towers with the spikes on them in Hades is driving me insane! Combat-wise, though, I agree.

OT: Crash 3: Warped always seemed like a pretty easy game to me (at least the easiest of the three originals for PS1), but Dingodile drove me up the wall trying to beat him! Every time I was about to kill him, he'd get me with his stupid flamethrower! He did have a catchy theme song though, so that sort of made up for it.
i agree that game had bullshit boss fights...

but dingodile wasn't one of them.