Hardcore, or Just Plain Troll?

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Something a friend told me got me thinking, according to him people who aren't trolls aren't "real" "hardcore" gamers. Let me elaborate: people who don't use the word "noob" and "fag" as adjectives aren't real gamers.

I know that subjectives topics like these lead to no end, but personally, I'm on the fence on this one. Sometimes I feel good when I'm an asshole to someone on the internet--especially at a game I'm good at--and other times I know that those who excel at their game don't really need to be complete dicks. But being a "troll" (sometimes) differentiates us from the Twilight crowed--a crowd we all love to hate.

So am I the only one?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The terms people use don't define the type of gamer they are. To me, it's their appreciation of games that does this.

replingham153

May 23, 2009
noob and fag are leet words, but saying them only means you have heard them. So sometimes, 8 year olds say them and i know that half the time they're not pro, just copycats. So no, saying noob and lol dont make you pro, but more or less fit into the crowd of "HARDCORE" gamers. so yeah

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
It's kinda like saying that you aren't an Escapist if you don't troll or insult others.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
So instead of people being listed as Gamers for playing video games, he believes gamers should be listed as gamer based on their vocabulary? Tell your friend he should stop being so close-minded and stop splitting gamers between Hardcore and regular gamers.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Okay, "troll" is not synonymous with "gigantic douchebag".
A troll is someone who deliberately acts like a tool to provoke a reaction for fun and profit.
A gigantic douchebag is just a gigantic douchebag.
One could argue that trolls are douchebags but the clear difference is that one does stupid, obnoxious shit on PURPOSE.

But anyway, your friend is a fucking moron and I struggle to understand how he has enough mental power to keep himself breathing for more than ten minutes without getting a massive headache.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
there is a simple solution, hang out with him when he plays and every time he calls someone a noob or a fag, hit him upside the head till he learns not to say it, it will probably take awhile but eventually he will learn

Belgian_Waffles

Jan 24, 2010
Hardcore gamers and assholes are often swept under the same stereotype as well as lazy and casual gamers. We need to work harder to differentiate between these archetypes

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'd say your friend is an idiot. I don't even play games online, but if you tried to suggest that I'm not a gamer I'd have a few choice words to say to you.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Theres nothing i can say here that hasent been said, and i dont feel like going on probation when im so close to Neo, so yea...

garlicncow

May 6, 2010
Eqan Asif said:
Something a friend told me got me thinking, according to him people who aren't trolls aren't "real" "hardcore" gamers. Let me elaborate: people who don't use the word "noob" and "fag" as adjectives aren't real gamers.

I know that subjectives topics like these lead to no end, but personally, I'm on the fence on this one. Sometimes I feel good when I'm an asshole to someone on the internet--especially at a game I'm good at--and other times I know that those who excel at their game don't really need to be complete dicks. But being a "troll" (sometimes) differentiates us from the Twilight crowed--a crowd we all love to hate.

So am I the only one?
He does not actually know what I troll is, I am a troll when I want to be and I never use "noob" or "fag" when I am trolling people...

trolling ≠ hardcore gamer
at all, ever.

YES that is a not equal to sign

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Monkfish Acc. said:
A troll is someone who deliberately acts like a tool to provoke a reaction for fun and profit.
One could argue that trolls are douchebags but the clear difference is that one does stupid, obnoxious shit on PURPOSE.
Uhhh... Yes it is. It's just one of those things. You know, all trolls are gigantic douchebags, but not all gigantic douchebags are trolls.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Monkfish Acc. said:

But anyway, your friend is a fucking moron and I struggle to understand how he has enough mental power to keep himself breathing for more than ten minutes without getting a massive headache.
If Escapist every employed the system Yahoo Answers uses, I'd rate this the "best" answer.

And no I'm not getting on my knees.....you sick, sick fool.