Hardest decision you've ever had to make in a Video Game?

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
To "euthanize" the Companion cube.
It was just a simple cube with a heart on it, I had it held over the incinerator ready to drop at the push of a button.
But I couldn't do it. I knew it was just a game and all, but my hands were literary paralyzed.
Of course I eventually did it... five minutes later, after I had tried every other option available, including sacrificing a security camera in the hopes that it would be enough.
And then comes Portal 2. where you run into the companion cube again. I wasn't going to give up on it THIS time.
I didn't let it go this time, but I think you know what happens...

AlwaystheUnlucky

Oct 5, 2010
"Which girl should I go with in every dating sim game ever?"

While most are filled with bile, some actually have girls that I would care about.

LSPena

Apr 2, 2010
I actually read the spoiler and didn't even get the full Unrelenting Force... oh well

Fallout New Vegas' final quests, the ones in which you start to choose which path you will choose

I was siding with the NCR but when they asked me to kill the Khans, the Brotherhood of Steel and Mr. House I actually took a few days to get back to the game. In the Khans' quest line I could make an alliance but screwed up when I had to prove that the Legion was bad because I used a Speech check instead of using their agent's journal. I could also assassinate the Khan's leader and the second in command would make the alliance or steal Caesar's journal in his nest. So I traveled to The Fort, killed everyone and looted Caesar's slave journal just so I wouldn't be forced to kill the Khan's leader.

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
Not a decision you actually make yet but mine is how to resolve the quarian conflict with the geth in mass effect

Shane McCay

Oct 18, 2011
The final decision in Mass Effect 2 was nerve wracking. I still wonder what ramifications I'll face because of it.

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
Shirastro said:
Wait, you killed Fartaplux?
How could you!!!

Anyway on topic. The toughest decision i had to make was in ME1 whether to kill or spare all the Krogans on that planet....and i killed them :D
What krogans, or did you mean Rachni?

NastoK

Jun 4, 2011
It's kinda sad, really. Nice of you to edit your post and include a spoiler thingamajig, but the first commentator didn't * sad face *

Anywho, it was either Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age (not sure which one), and it was something around half an hour sitting in front of the screen weighing the options. Funny thing is, I don't even remember what it was about.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Does the decision to stop playing Mafia II count?

Otherwise I guess the decision to sell a woman into slavery after rescuing her in Fallout 3, or maybe the choices in either of the Witcher games.

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
chasdemerak said:
Mass Effect, Virmire. If you played it, you know which decision I'm talking about.
Exactly the one I (and most likely what many others will) was going to say. Other than that one, I'd have to choose whether to start a military campaign in Civilization or wait a few more turns and gather up more units.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
RagnarokHybrid said:
That choice between the two thugs in GTA IV

The choice between the really rich thug and the one who had just gotten out of jail and pretty much had his life ruined. It was a superficial choice, money over "the right thing", but the characterization made it feel all the more real.

Actually, a lot of the choices in GTA IV were some pretty difficult choices--for me, at least.
I know how you feel, I had a tough time choosing between Dwayne and Playboy X. There really wasn't an ounce of levity with Dwayne and it did make spending time with him a little taxing just because he'd always bring me down, but at the same time he just got out of prison and was still coming to terms with the changes in the society he helped form. While Playboy X wasn't the most likable of characters, he did have some charm to his personality, even if he did turn his back on his mentor. I ended up doing the "right thing", but as Dwayne's demeanor never really changes, I kind of lamented my decision, even if it was the less morally reprehensible option.

While that was a somewhat difficult decision to make, my hardest choice came from:

The decision whether or not to kill Francis McReary or his brother, Derrick McReary. It wasn't so much because I liked one character over the other (I didn't), but it was because I wanted to stay on good terms with Packie and Kate. Unlike many, I actually enjoyed the socializing aspect of the game as it helped flesh out these characters who only seemed to exist in cut scenes and the occasional mission. It made them feel three dimension, with flaws, insecurities, and a backstory that helped explain their current situation. They were well written and the voice actors delivered their dialog in a believable fashion, so the idea of having all of that ripped away from me if I made the wrong decision really made me think hard on who I sniped.

The Woolly One

Nov 25, 2010
ME2 spoilers. (I don't really know how to do the spoiler box thing - I don't post here often).

Legion's loyalty mission in ME2. Rewrite (brainwash) or destroy the Heretic Geth for their beliefs.

Garrus' loyalty mission in ME2. Help a friend hunt down and assassinate someone who betrayed him, or impose my morality on him and tell Garrus to spare him. That was a very tough choice for me - first time through I assumed that letting Sidonis go would lose Garrus' loyalty.

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
AMAZED said:
Shirastro said:
Wait, you killed Fartaplux?
How could you!!!

Anyway on topic. The toughest decision i had to make was in ME1 whether to kill or spare all the Krogans on that planet....and i killed them :D
What krogans, or did you mean Rachni?
Bah its all blurry now.
I remember it had something to do with Krogans....oh wait it was ME2 cause that awesome Salarian scientist was there as well....or maybe it was some other Salarian.

I know i was on a planet and had some big decision to make about Krogans and that disease they have. But if i remember correctly that Krogan from ME1 was with me and he would leave if i didn't side with him (which i didn't but managed to persuade him to stay thanks to my high Paragon speech).....or was he.

Now when i think about it, i'm not sure if there was any killing involved, or was it something else.

Bah, i swear i have ME1 and ME2 all mumbled up in my head.

P.S. Rachni i do remember, and i spared them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much choosing which Pokemons to raise and who to replace in my team (yes I did make an initial team before the game release but it's alot more different once you had a go using that Pokemon).

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
Torchlight: "This helmet has way better stats, but this hat looks way baller!" Okay, I jest.

These questions. I can never think of a proper answer until an hour after posting. So this time I'll say: Civilization 4 (and other similar games). A weaker but trustworthy and friendly civilization gets attacked by a super power. Will I step into a undoubtedly long and bloody war to help a friend, weakening my other fronts and significantly slowing down my technological progress.

Similar situations in Stalker games. If I see a group I like more being attacked by a group that's neutral towards me. Getting involved will propably result in quite a bit of trouble later.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Probably Jade Empire many a moon ago; to kill the water dragon, or not... and killing is the good option; it wants you to kill it. I was an evil character that game and that one decision put me almost entirely to good. I felt that sort of last-minute redemption thing was a pretty cool touch.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Mass Effects 2 legions loyalty mission was a hard one, made me question at what point does something come alive.

ks1234

Mar 12, 2011
I-Protest-I said:
Thanks, Skyrim comes tomorrow and between this and 3 other threads without spoiler alerts I know half the names of people who will die during the main quest.
Don't read threads about Skyrim then.
EDIT: OT... hardest decision for me would of been a few of the Mass Effect decisions... one of the easiest ones... Punching that ***** of a reporter in the face in ME2