Hardest decision you've ever had to make in a Video Game?

eggmiester

Mar 10, 2011
infamous 2; the big decision at the end.

but more than that, it was the action you had to do at the end of either choice. in both endings...i couldn't bring myself to do it.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
How to go about accomplishing what I want to in any video game ever. From Saints Row to Space Invaders, you need to choose how to get what you want.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Grand Theft Auto IV

at the very end

Make the deal, or kill the deal. . . it's the only moment in a video game that forced me to pause the game, and think for like 2 minutes. Every other moral dilemma in any game I've played, I swiftly resolved in a mere 10-15 seconds MAX. . . but GTAIV really, really stumped me.

I applaud Rockstar

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I actually found Legions loyalty quest a ridiculously easy decision to make at first. Okay so changing the Geths minds stops them being able to self-deteriminate in one scenario where they'd basically been brainwashed in the first place. Against that we have utterly destroying them which removes their ability to self-deteriminate in all scenarios.

You are a lot less free when you're involuntarily killed than in basically any other situation.

... wait a minute. I was going to end this bit with 'but then (I'm very much a Christian) I realised that God had basically made the other choice. He let us choose our own path to the extent that he would let us decide to die rather than change the part of us that turns away from him and good things...

But I just realised, no it's still really easily. God gave us the choice and went to enough effort to actually die so that we could have that choice and he works in the world everyday so that we know it's the choice we're making.

Whereas the Geth weren't given that choice. The right solution would have been 'Geth we're can either brainwash you or kill you, which do you want?' That is giving them the ability to self-deteriminate, as it is you're just choosing death for them.

I also agonised over the last choice in ME2 because I had to choose between what was obviously the right choice and the way to save the galaxy with myriad ways to prevent the only negative consequence happening. (Telling the Solarians about it and just getting the STG to frickin' kill any Cerberus dude trying to approach the Omega gate for instance) But I had to weigh that up against ME2 which was not going to let you do sensible things like that and treat it as though you weren't doing exactly what you'd done with the dead reaper before, and all the alien tech in ME1.

However the Krogan genophage. Still haven't worked that one out in my mind and I still can't decide. I chose to keep the data because, even if I decided against the cure I could just make sure that Solus didn't use the data.

But in all honesty, probably the hardest choice has been in the free flash game 'In The Company of Myself' where you choose between a death and not being able to progress with the game. Even now I wish I'd had the courage just to turn the game off and not press the button

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Naming anything other than the main character in games. Seriously. Pokemon is one of the worst. I've had to spend lengths from 10-15 minutes to a full hour just trying to figure out what I want to name some of them. And granted, most of this time is spent perusing various sites to look up words in different languages, mythological characters, or even characters from other games in the rare circumstance. And if the entire cast of a game can be named, I'll usually spend almost as much time trying to figure out what "theme" I want to name them by.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
The choice at the end of Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
Where you have to choose whether to let Adrian Andrews take the fall for murder and allow Maya to live or let her go free and risk Maya's life. Though in the end it didn't exactly matter...
I remember being dumbstruck and feeling like I'd just been punched in the gut... then resolving myself and making my choice. It was intense.

cormacd12

Dec 26, 2008
What to do with the Krogan genophage in Mass Effect 2. Though about it in bed that night, tossing and turning , wondering if I made the right choice.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Literally all decisions in DA:O are hard for me. When such well characterised characters have their fate in the palm of my hand I realy take time to weigh the consequences.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Whether or not I should kill Darko Brevic. I wasn't the biggest fan of the game, but man, that was a powerful scene. All that build up, and when you finally find him is a week and almost pathetic addict who sold your squad out for a paltry sum of money.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Geneforge 1. Had to choose between taking ultimate power that could be used to help free the oppressed, and destroying this power, the same one that caused the conflict in the first place.

Geneforge as a series was chock-full of tough moral choices.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
Almost every decision from Clan Chief to King in King of Dragon Pass, along with a bunch of decisions I have to make in multiple Paradox games (Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Victoria, etc).

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Naming my Guild in the opening scene of Etrian Odyssey. It took me a few days of staring at the name screen offhandedly before I put something down to just run with.

Aiden Raine

Oct 3, 2011
Deskimus Prime said:
1. Save Saber.
2. Bring the knife down.
gah, I hated that choice... and actually picking choice 2 shows just why I would want to pick choice 2... but then you lose.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Save the Keep or the city in DA: Awakening, and the end of Phoenix Wright: Justice for All, on my first playthrough of each. Of course now that I know what happens, they're easy. :)

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Kyle1527 said:
AlternatePFG said:
Kyle1527 said:
I was inspired to make this thread because I just decided to kill; Skyrim Spoiler:
Parthuurnax in Skyrim, but It took me like two days to finally make the decision to kill him.
So, what's the hardest decision you've ever had to make in a video game?
That was a pretty easy decision honestly.

Help the people who have done nothing to help me throughout the entire game, or side with the fucking dragon that is possibly one of the few interesting characters in the game and helped quite a bit. The Blades really don't give a great reason for why Paarthunax has to die, and it really sucks that you're locked out of their faction/radiant quests if you decide to spare Paarthunax.
Yeah, that was one of the few gaming decisions where I actually felt attached to a character and didn't want to kill them. Great job Bethesda on making an interesting character!
It's a sad day when we actually have to thank someone for including interesting characters. Not saying that having interesting characters is a bad thing (of course it isn't), but when they are so few and far inbetween that we have to thank developers for including them...
OT: I have one:
The video game form of Harlan Ellisons "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" had some tough decisions. Of course, I loved all of the characters, so it was more of a decision as to trying to find which option wouldn't get them sent to an eternity of suffering (which is surprisingly REALLY easy to do)

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Uhm.. all more important decisions in ME 1 + 2 to be exact. Who dies? Who lives? Twice the decision "genocide or not". And the sidemission with the two nukes?
Only a sidemission, but i still fear the repercussions my decision have on Sheep Shepard in ME3. (And yes, i named him Sheep).

Phototoxin

Mar 11, 2009
People in deus ex HR extra content : save them or the scientist... I picked the people as they didn't deserve it.