Hardest decision you've ever had to make in a Video Game?

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
chasdemerak said:
Mass Effect, Virmire. If you played it, you know which decision I'm talking about.
Agreed. The first time I had to make that choice, I was agonizing for about five-ten minutes. Which led to me thinking of a way BioWare could have made that worse: you have a TIMER to make the choice. If you don't make the choice within, say, one minute, the one you rescue will be injured because you took too long to decide, and their injuries will be severe enough that they'll be alive but unavailable for the rest of the game.

Shane McCay said:
The final decision in Mass Effect 2 was nerve wracking. I still wonder what ramifications I'll face because of it.
Really? Easiest decision for me. "Well, gee, I guess could keep the fully intact Reaper artifact when we know that 37 million-year DEAD Reaper artifacts can horrifically brainwash an entire scientific team aware of the dangers in a matter of weeks, or I could flip this switch and blow the whole thing up and it suddenly stops being a problem while also eliminating a possible base for the Reapers to use when they get here." Yeah, saving the base MIGHT have given us an edge, but at the cost of how many brainwashed soldiers?

Of course, given some of the spoilers regarding Mass Effect 3, it turns out that it doesn't really matter what we decided regarding stuff like that base or the Rachni or the Geth? freaking BioWare.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Whether or not I want to start a new game in any Pokemon ever, and essentially kill my friends that I worked so hard raising.

WHY NO MULTIPLE SAVE SLOTS GAME FREAK, WHY?! WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!

That's why Im thankful for the GTS. Now I can trade away my friends before starting a new game, knowing that someone out there is still taking care of my precious Smugleaf...

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
First time I played Fable 3

Literally the first actual moral decision, have your partner or the peasants executed. I took so long trying to decide that the bastard had them all shot. To be honest, it had quite a few difficult decisions to make in that game.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Pokemon battle.

My Honchkrow against an opposing Starmie.

If I were to use a sucker punch, it would take priority and eliminate the Starmie. But if my opponent were to switch into his Lucario, my sucker punch would be pointless.

If I were to use superpower in preparation, it would eliminate the Lucario, but the starmie could still outspeed and kill honch if he didn't switch out.

Keeps me up at night.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Silent Hill Homecoming

Euthanizing Alex's mom or not.

Though the result is the same.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
DarkRyter said:
Pokemon battle.

If I were to use a sucker punch, it would take priority and eliminate the Starmie. But if my opponent were to switch into his Lucario, my sucker punch would be pointless.

If I were to use superpower in preparation, it would eliminate the Lucario, but the starmie could still outspeed and kill honch if he didn't switch out.

Keeps me up at night.
Hm.. Switch into Jellicent could be dangerous because of Thunderbolt. Meh, no just switch into Conkeldurr. If he stays, Conk can take the Sp.Attack beating and then Mach Punch the shit out of the star and if he switches into Lucario, you still gonna Mach Punch his steelass out of the arena.

I mean just look at him, Conkeldurr looks like a problemsolver, doesn't he?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Adeptus Aspartem said:
DarkRyter said:
Pokemon battle.

Keeps me up at night.
Hm.. Switch into Jellicent could be dangerous because of Thunderbolt. Meh, no just switch into Conkeldurr. If he stays, Conk can take the Sp.Attack beating and then Mach Punch the shit out of the star and if he switches into Lucario, you still gonna Mach Punch his steelass out of the arena.

Conk is great. I love conk. He's on almost all my teams.

But this was back in gen 4. And I had only Honch.

I suckerpunched anyway, and he didn't switch. I still lost to Lucario, though.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Probably the option to either Destroy the Geth Separatists or to reprogram them in Mass Effect 2, I was actually thinking more about the moral dilemma and consequences rather than the points I needed for Paragon and Renegade. Mass Effect games have been some of the few that I actually really took pause on decisions, in most games they are usually very easy morally, or are just about which gun do I want.

ChaosEternal

Feb 4, 2011
Infamous 2
When I had to kill Zeke. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in a game. I was actually crying, I had really grown to like the guy. (Granted, the only decision in that was my decision to see the ending even if it meant killing Zeke.)

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Easily it was in Dragon Age Origins.

SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!!

SPOILER!!!!!

---
-
---
Anywho it was about the Dark Ritual the very first time I played the game.
On one hand I could die forever and have my warden lose everyone he loved and NEVER see them again, through soul death.
Or I could trust a demon baby to Morrigan of all people.....

One the one hand my Warden had a good thing with Leliana, and had made friends out of Sten, Alistair, Zevran, Wynne, Oghren, Shale, and even Morrigan. Losing that would have really sucked, and the whole soul death thing.....

On the other...its Morrigan, and so much power on the loose...and Flemeth not far behind.

I literally got out of my seat, walked outside sat on my deck and mulled it over for a good 30 minutes or so.

In the end I turned Morrigan down and was proud yet sad at the games ending.
Really that was the most powerful choice I ever had to make.

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
Oh I have made tons of hard choices in games. There was...um...let's see...for some reason I can't remember any hard choices I have made (though I swear there were some). Does that mean they weren't actually that hard? Or do I just have a bad memory? Well actually one I can think of that is recent, if it counts, is in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. In the harder difficulties especially you have to decide which characters you are going to use (limited number per level), who you are going to give exp to, if you are going to let most of your people die and just keep a powerful core group so that you can access the extra levels and get the good items, and if someone does die do you accept it or restart. The last one especially I find to be heart rending because some of the characters have rather sad dying lines and others I am just plain attached to, not to mention gauging their usefulness vs. what their death can gain you or whether it is worth it to restart and just try again but lose possibly large amounts of progress or good level ups.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The first genuinely difficult decision I had to make was during Fate/Stay Night. Heaven's Feel route. The decision to kill someone very important to me, when I knew that killing them was the only thing I could do. I knew what I had to do. It took me five minutes to work myself up to clicking the mouse button.

I'm talking about killing Saber, of course.

Well...Dark Saber, which was the reason.

Also, <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.206764-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Kana-Little-Sister>Kana: Little Sister. Do I let my sister associate with our aunt, who's basically waiting to die of breast cancer, knowing it might strengthen her later? Do I nix the idea, to protect Kana that much longer from the idea of her own mortality?

Hell, do I tell her the truth about why the hospice let our aunt out of the hospital to visit her daughter one last time?

Ranthus

Mar 7, 2009
ChaosEternal said:
Infamous 2
When I had to kill Zeke. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in a game. I was actually crying, I had really grown to like the guy. (Granted, the only decision in that was my decision to see the ending even if it meant killing Zeke.)
inFamous?
Ok-WAIT, INFAMOUS 2?! NO! I'VE SPOILED IT!
I'll have to agree, that will be tough when I get to it.

Hardest decision I've made in a game belongs to just about everything important in every Bioware game. Seriously, they know how to make decisions tough.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
That was an easy decision, the blades don't help at all, so I don't care what they want. Esbern is only good for his voice in the trailer.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Mass Effect 2...keep the Collector Station or destroy it

Most of the difficult decisions came from that game and ME1. Maybe DA:O and KotOR. I'd have to think about it, though.

Edit: Bioware has the market on tough decision making in games.

Mugen Weston

Jan 4, 2011
Had a difficult one recently in Dark Souls with Priscilla the Crossbreed

She basically says "if you want to kill me then kill me, otherwise please leave my lair" and killing her isn't necessary to finish the game

So I was all "she did ask me to leave nicely...but killing her gets me souls and an achievement...hmmm" and it basically rattled around in my head for a while until I eventually decided to fight and kill her, although I did feel a little bad afterwards :\

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
DarkRyter said:
Adeptus Aspartem said:
DarkRyter said:
Pokemon battle.

Keeps me up at night.

Conk is great. I love conk. He's on almost all my teams.

But this was back in gen 4. And I had only Honch.

I suckerpunched anyway, and he didn't switch. I still lost to Lucario, though.
Imo Conk is too strong. Bulk-Up and his natural stats make him close to immortal and Mach-Punch on him is just insane.
I couldn't understand how DW Skelabra and DW Fire-chicken both got banned and Conk was just tolerated. I don't know how you could not put him in any team unless you'd go for a weather team.

The new mixed Lucario is pretty mean, with both Aura Shphere and ExtremeSpeed can dish out incredible and flexible damage. Backed up by Hidden Power, Darkpulse and 2 prio moves (Mach and Bullet Punch) and equipped with the x1.5 init item ..
Shee i was suprised when i got hit by that the first time <.<

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
For all my faults, I'm a very decisive person and I'm good at making decisions like that in game. I haven't been stumped yet.

maiqtheliar said:
What to do with Anders in Dragon Age 2... That game taught me that maybe I'm a little too forgiving.
What? Siding with the gaurds was like siding with the nazis. I think I gave him a massive bollocking and sided with the mages because she was just adorable. I mean, who do you lose when you side with the mages? The two least interesting characters? And you're supporting the persecution of innocent people who have helped you all the way though, not to mention your sister. As far as I was concerned, there was no decision to make.