Hardest dificulties that are ACTUALLY BLOODY HARD!

aescuder

Aug 24, 2010
Diablo 2 Hell mode sent me crying back to my mum. Demon's Souls (on normal? are there harder difficulty options?) made me want to punch a baby. And as mentioned, Ninja Gaiden was plenty hard on normal difficulty, hard mode was just ridiculous.

This doesn't really count but SC2 on "Korean" difficulty is damm nigh impossible.lol

madmsk

Apr 18, 2010
Oh, and Pokemon Puzzle League for the N64. I threw literally thousands of lives at Mewtwo and Gary at S-Hard. (Keyboard is cheating here folks. You get so much more speed with the arrow keys its not even fun)

Dr Pyramid Head

Aug 16, 2011
The 3rd Birthday, anyone?
I mean, the hardest difficulty (Genocide) didn't just add whole HP bars to most enemies. It obliterated any extra features that made the previous difficulties possible. I would go into detail as to what aspects, but I wouldn't want to bore anyone. In short, unless you had a perfectly sculpted DNA board and the right weapons for each new area, you are truly ----ed.
After finding the difficulty of the Chapter 1 end boss incredibly ramped up, I had to sacrifice all the time I spent going through Chapter 1, saving civilians just to grind a few levels spamming liberation in Chapter 0, and no difference.
Then again, my DNA board was full of crap.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
Killzone 2 and 3 on the hardest difficulty setting were pretty frustrating. Especially when they starting sending out the enemies with jetpacks. My favorite hard setting has to be Infamous 2. It's difficult, but manageable, and it really forces you to use the full potential of Coles mobility.

LeafofStone

Nov 19, 2009
Ok pretty much any rouge like ever. Yes most of them don't have difficulty settings but most have perma-death, and can be a real pain in the ass if you are not carefull

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I haven't played many games that are all that hard but I found Halo: Reach legendary solo was a good challenge. It wasn't exactly rage inducing but I definitely had to rethink my tactics. MW2 veteran wasn't that hard but I found it was great practice for online.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
Expert mode on Modnation Racers, I see no difference between this and the Casual mode in the game. The weapons in that racing game are some of the cheapest weapons of all time, worse than anything mario kart ever had. Sure, you can build up a shield to avoid the projectiles but you'll end up draining it avoiding one thing and then two more will explode your car and first place will be stolen from you. That happened to me almost every race I had trying to unlock all the bonus items in story mode, it's so frustrating you'll take a hammer to your PS3. It's a good game, one of the best racing games out there but god is it annoying sometimes.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
crudus said:
Stalydan said:
crudus said:
I am going to go with Devil May Cry 3 (the original English version). I never got passed normal. I can't imagine Dante Must Die mode.
Actually Dante Must Die mode was the same in all versions of DMC3... but still pretty damn soul crushingly difficult... my inner child cries as he feels controller vibrate a third time, telling him he just died.
English Hard was Japanese Dante Must Die mode. Wasn't English DMD mode harder than Hard mode?
No actually, Original English Hard mode was Very Hard mode in all other versions. Dante Must Die is kept the same difficulty level across all versions of the game because of the rules it implies.

Collins254

Jul 30, 2011
The suffering: Ties that bind... that game was an absolute *****. Apparently only 2 members of the design team managed to beat that game on hard, 3x the ammount that have beaten devil souls, which apparently is harder than demon souls btw :/

on the note of civ games and strategies, their not that hard to beat, i got the xbox achievements for all 4 victory types on diety, now i just need to unlock all famous people which is unfortunatly random, and beat a game with each race which is just boring lol.

same as C&C games, on red alerts i have beaten a hardest difficulty ai, my mate tom has 100% completion on EVERY C&C game he has ever played.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Left 4 Dead tends to be a bastard when you've vamped it up to full and your dragging about the CPU dullards, especially when while you manage to pirouette past a witch and land right atop a car alarm, then your clueless companions run right into Mrs. Witch and get fed a claw sandwich.

White Deer

Mar 28, 2011
RUSE on the highest difficulty - heck I can't even get out of North Africa!And they are the tutorial missions!

Evil Teddie

Feb 7, 2011
Any start of any D&D videogame on hardcore rules. Your party is just one critical hit from death. Even the barbarian. Go low level characters! Save and save often, friends.

samfergo

May 18, 2010
Vampire Rain, hardest game i've ever played. Couldnt even get past the first level on normal :S

Smagmuck_

Aug 25, 2009
Halo: Reach on the Semi-Official Mythic difficulty. I've faced hard games before. COD 4? Two days on Veteran. Halo 3's Cortana? 45 Minutes on Legendary. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on Realistic? Two hours. But FUCK Reach was just... *Shudders*

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
For some reason there are few games that have difficulty that I have wanted to play on the hardest mode, so the hardest games I have played are ones that don't have difficulty - they're just hard.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
Viewpoint, SNK and PS1 versions.

Probably the first game in which I really gave up trying to complete. Goes hand in hand with Ninja Gaiden 3, NES.

These games make the God of Smashed Controllers smile.