Hardest dificulties that are ACTUALLY BLOODY HARD!

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Doom on any difficulty above "I'm too pretty to die" had it's own annoyances.

And of course any fighting game like Tekken or Dead Or Alive on the higher difficulties are always RIDICULOUS.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Gitaroo Man's Master mode. I have deep respect for people who are able to compete it with an S (or at all).

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Call of Duty 2 on Veteran. Mainly just The Second Battle of El Alamein. If you've beaten it you deserve more than an achievement.

TehGingaNinja

Aug 13, 2011
Civilization games on Cid difficulty, Age of Empires can be a pain on the higher up ones too. Not forgetting some of the Expert songs in the Rock Band and Guitar Hero games.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Silent Hill 2 on hard is pretty much the same except for the part where PH chases James and Maria. She doesn't run!

The puzzles hard dificulty (because it has two difficulty settings, one for the gameplay and one for the puzzles, for those who doesn't know) of silent hill 3 gives the hardest riddle i have ever heard of.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
There are a lot to choose from but Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja. You go on the GameFAQs board for it and people there consider it a mark of highest honor to beat it.

Or Serious Sam: First Encounter, serious difficulty. You will be facing ARMIES.

I would also say Halo: Reach because of the vastly improved AI and the fact that you're at such a huge disadvantage but you can Co-op through it though so...

But I think the game with the most fun yet hardest difficulty would have to be Doom 3 on Nightmare. It's the hardest difficulty I had the most fun with anyway.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Josh Diaz said:
god mode the hardest dmc 3 difficulty (no scratch that anything besides normal in the revamped version)and i gotta say pro mode in re4 was fking hard
This post says all I had wanted to. I will add a fun fact though. The American/European version had a bug where normal actually was replaced with hard from the Japanese version. The harder difficulties were simply harder than the other difficulties so that makes it one of the hardest games of all time.
Resident Evil 4 had me stuck on a few bosses and once I managed to save over a file where I had reached Krouser so I had to start over. I was so pissed when that happened.

F-Zero GX Mission 1 very hard. Hardest mission in the game. I was never able to complete it and I finished everything else on the hardest difficulty.

Edit: Also Tales of Vesperia if you play it on hard without using New Game +. It will leave you writing in pain. If you also choose to have lower exp you got a good challenge ahead of ya.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
God difficulty in God of War. I've only played the first one, and only that on hard (100%ed), but that was hard, unlike most games.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Hardcore and Very Hard in Fallout: New Vegas. Very hard was a breeze in Fallout 3, but now you need to consider your enemies' damage threshold, adjust to the proper ammo accordingly etc etc.

And by 'have to' I mean, do it or die.

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
Teh Jammah said:
Mass Effect 2's 'Insanity' setting. Everything has at least 2 layers of 'health' and each bar takes a beating. Your shields are like tissue paper if you're out of cover for longer than 1.5 seconds you're probably dead or running from Husks and your decent gun has f-all ammo and F### YOU GODD### F### SCIONS!!!
Finished that off a couple of months ago, you just got to get decent build going and play it cautiously. Be a soldier, take some sort of shield boost ability as your bonus ability, ALWAYS take Miranda (for warp and overload) and Mordin (for incinerate) and you're pretty much sorted. Only parts that gave me trouble were the mission on the derelict reaper and the final boss.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
xitel said:
Devil May Cry 4's Hell or Hell mode. As far as I'm aware, only three people have ever beaten it. You die in one hit, the enemies are as difficult as the highest difficulty level, Dante Must Die.
Actually on Hell or Hell mode it takes one hit to deplete all of your health but you've got three yellow orbs so technically it's three hits. As for the enemies, they're the same strength as the enemies on Son of Sparda difficulty, not Dante Must Die.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
ANY Unreal Tournament game's hard (or if your feeling brave, Insane or higher) difficulties will present even a seasoned gamer some issues. After all, when Bots can be set to "Godlike", what do you expect?

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I am going to go with Devil May Cry 3 (the original English version). I never got passed normal. I can't imagine Dante Must Die mode.

Josh Diaz said:
god mode the hardest dmc 3 difficulty (no scratch that anything besides normal in the revamped version)and i gotta say pro mode in re4 was fking hard
Do you mean Dante Must Die mode?

Stall said:
Serious Sam 1 or 2 on serious mode. You'll get utterly destroyed. If you can somehow manage to beat serious mode, then you'll unlock an even harder difficulty, but good luck with that...
*weeps in fear*

FllippinIDIOT

Feb 13, 2011
realistic on rainbow six vegas 2 was a pain in the ass, as well as putting either fallout 3, fallout NV, or oblivion to its hardest level was a pain in the ass.

TheVurdmeister

May 2, 2011
Zeroththeking said:
Catherine is pretty hard on it's harest difficulty. You can't redo your moves, so if you push the wrong block off of the space, Fuck you, start over.
It's hard enough as is on Normal so far for me, and I am always up for a challenge. Thing is, once you beat the game on an easier difficulty on a game such as Catherine, are the puzzles different? Technically, you'd know what to do, you just gotta do it a bit faster and without messing up.

Technically that works for any game, now doesn't it. Kind of has the Guitar Hero effect. You play enough of easy mode and normal doesn't seem that bad. Then hard, then expert, and you're performing as if it were natural. But I digress. I'd say Catherine would definitely be up there, along with the God of Wars and Devil May Crys. Oh, and don't forget Dante's Inferno. Dx

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Cowabungaa said:
Ninja Gaiden 2...

[HEADING=2]Why!!! For the love of the gods...WHYYY!!![/HEADING]
This, I think they did it just to be spiteful bastards.

OT: Bayonetta on the hardest difficulty. I can't get past the part where you first mean Jeanne, that game isn't messing around and will treat you like it's *****.

Considering the game, it's kind of terrifying. GAH!!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Far Cry on the hardest difficulty got very irritating at times. Nothing like getting one shotted in the head from a guy with a pistol standing 1.3 kilometers away.