Hardest dificulties that are ACTUALLY BLOODY HARD!

pulse2

May 10, 2008
I've played quite a few games and after playing them on Normal the first time through, the hardest difficulty didn't seem that bad afterwards, if anything, there were only slight changes, yes I did notice the difficulty change, but I wasn't really that bothered by it.

But what games have you played where the hardest difficulty made you think, "**** me, that was HARD, not sure if I'll be able to complete this any time soon".

I'm talking about the type of hard that used to exist in some games in the old days, not the hard where there are few saves and obvious game flaws, but the type of hard that makes you grit your teeth and clench your fists.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
CoD4 on Veteran; still not completed it.

Edit: In fact, have only done 2 proper levels; I couldn't get past Charlie Don't Surf's TV station.

Josh Diaz

Oct 23, 2010
god mode the hardest dmc 3 difficulty (no scratch that anything besides normal in the revamped version)and i gotta say pro mode in re4 was fking hard

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
If you're not careful on stalker on normal, you can die quickly.

On master? Christ, the game wants to kill you for existing.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Witcher 2´s Insane difficulty. Have fun being killed in 2-5 hits and then having to restart back at the beginning of a 25 HOUR GAME.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Whatever difficulty you'd say Demon's Souls is set to. Also, LV 999 mode in Deathsmiles.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
I thought Mass Effect 2's insanity mode was difficult but manageable, but fuck Mass Effect 1, I can't even pass the first level.

Aug 1, 2010
CoD 4 Veteran is pretty hard, but even it takes second to Halo: Reach on SLASO.

For anyone who doesn't know, this is Solo Legendary All Skulls On.

These skulls include, but are not limited to, the following: Health doesn't recharge without a melee. No HUD. Dying makes you restart the level. Shit like that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Pharaoh.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/4/46/20110529151150!Pharaoh_Coverart.png

It's not perfectly balanced (one level is actually impossible to beat on hardest due to missing buildings), but HORY CROW IT'S HARD. And always fair (that one level notwithstanding). Basically, as difficulty increases, all it does is make buildings more expensive and starts you with less money, and makes houses harder to upgrade. That's all it needs to ramp up the challenge without feeling cheap. However, it loses points for allowing you to change difficulty at any time.

So I'll give it to Civilization V.

Oh my, Civilization V.

Then again, I'm 99% sure that Civilization V's "Deity" mode simply turns the computer into a cheating bastard (251 gold per turn on turn 30? What is this crap?).

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
Mass Effect 2's 'Insanity' setting. Everything has at least 2 layers of 'health' and each bar takes a beating. Your shields are like tissue paper if you're out of cover for longer than 1.5 seconds you're probably dead or running from Husks and your decent gun has f-all ammo and F### YOU GODD### F### SCIONS!!!

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Maybe I'm just bad at combos and using the weapons, or maybe this is too easy...but Ninja Gaiden II. Screeeeew that. Just no..no..NO.

*Sits in a corner* No more fiery armadillo things...no more. ._.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
God mode - God of War
Titan mode - God of War II
Chaos mode - God of War III

I mean, I beat all these, but. . . holy shit, was it hard.

EDIT: Half-Life was actually pretty hard on hard, too. Health stations only did like 25 HP, enemies dropped little ammo, while dealing insane amounts of damage and taking next to none. . . quite the ride, that was.

fatal2704

May 8, 2010
Diablo 2's hell mode. Gook luck playing past the first dungeon. you'll be swarmed so badly that every potion in the world couldn't reverse the damage.

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox (I can't recall what the hardest difficulty is called, but i can't beat the first boss on it)

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
Square-Enix/Squaresoft games always have this quality of having barely beatable bosses with super-moves that they use right when you think that you might stand a chance.

Also, Uncharted 2's highest mode. Only because you get ambushed every two seconds and it only takes like three shots to kill you.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Ninja Gaiden 2...

[HEADING=2]Why!!! For the love of the gods...WHYYY!!![/HEADING]
lacktheknack said:
So I'll give it to Civilization V.

Oh my, Civilization V.
Gods I'm already having issues with Normal. For some reason the AI manages simply impossible research rates, advancing through the ages at lightning speed. I can best everyone military without issues, but everything else? Good heavens...

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on extreme was pretty hard. there were a few times where i died over and over again. anyone who saw my review of the game will know i was very disappointed with the final boss but she was pretty tough on extreme