Hardest dificulties that are ACTUALLY BLOODY HARD!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well, someone said Ninja Gaiden and the highest difficulty GoWs, so...

Play the second half of Donkey Kong Country Returns. The later you go, the harder it gets. Want to get REALLY hard? Pick one of the mine cart levels. Want to pick something that will make you pull your hair out? Pick one of the rocket barrel levels.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Serious Sam 1 or 2 on serious mode. You'll get utterly destroyed. If you can somehow manage to beat serious mode, then you'll unlock an even harder difficulty, but good luck with that...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
lacktheknack said:
So I'll give it to Civilization V.

Oh my, Civilization V.
Gods I'm already having issues with Normal. For some reason the AI manages simply impossible research rates, advancing through the ages at lightning speed. I can best everyone military without issues, but everything else? Good heavens...
There actually are tactics to rocket your research - if you manage your great scientists right and get your paws on the right Wonders at the right times and research the right techs in the right order while buying the right buildings at the right times with no adherence to public defense or safety (in a strategy known as the "era slingshot"), you can have tanks by 1000 AD.

Yes, really.

Not that any of this will help you on Deity, though. I don't know what sort of black magic you need to summon to win on THAT difficulty.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Doom/Doom II on Nightmare. Enemies are more aggresive, attack faster and respawn 30 seconds after you kill them. It basically turns the entire game into a speed run, since if you take one wrong turn you can easily get overwhelmed if you have to backtrack into a room you just cleared which is now full of enemies again.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I played Crysis 2 on that hard unlockable setting and since I found it easy (I'm really not that great at FPS) it can't of been hard.... I mean what do the aliens do on easy? stand in the road picking their noses?

Hardest game I've played is Ninja Gaiden 2 on the hardest difficulty. I think it actually took months for me to beat it.

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
Nightmare difficulty on Dragon Age: Origins, particularly The Golems of Ammgarak DLC. I've done it once, got the achievement, and will never do it on nightmare again. The Reaper takes a lot of killing, not to mention that room with the 4 boss level and 4 lieutenant level golems.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Stealthygamer said:
Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox (I can't recall what the hardest difficulty is called, but i can't beat the first boss on it)
Definitely this. I had the greatest nerd rage of all time playing this game.

Dead Space 2 hardcore mode is an absolute bastard.

Vindestructable

Mar 5, 2011
Josh Diaz said:
god mode the hardest dmc 3 difficulty (no scratch that anything besides normal in the revamped version)
This is the kind of hard that all games should forever be judged by

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion with the slider all the way to the right. It is really hard, summoning a monster to fight for you is the only way to live and even then it is really hard.

labbu

Nov 18, 2009
I'm already having a hard time with Ninja Gaiden 2's Warrior difficulty (currently stuck at the 3rd test of Valor), can't imagine what Master Ninja is like, I assume all regular ninja's will just spam exploding shurikens and kamikaze attacks.

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
Catherine is pretty hard on it's harest difficulty. You can't redo your moves, so if you push the wrong block off of the space, Fuck you, start over.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Muramasa: Demon Blade on highest difficulty, particularly because it drops your max HP to 1 for the entirety of the game. Not much of a problem really since encounters are random and there's no serious punishment for dying, but the bosses are another story. By the time you manage to beat one, you'll probably have both your character's moves and the boss's pattern completely mapped into your brain, and you'd better win some battles on the way to the boss (again, not that easy with just 1 HP), or you'll find yourself doing only 1 HP damage with each blow you land.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I played Crysis 2 on that hard unlockable setting and since I found it easy (I'm really not that great at FPS) it can't of been hard.... I mean what do the aliens do on easy? stand in the road picking their noses?
I think what makes Crysis 2 so easy on any of the difficulties is the ability to just go in stealth and creep pass/execute the majority of the aliens in the game. I think there was only like a total of 2 area's on the hardest difficulty in Crysis 2 that gave me a bit of hassle.

OT: Call of Duty: World at War on Veteran.

Oct 30, 2010
The Force Unleashed on Sith Master mode. Kazdan Paratus and the first big open level on the Death Star in particular.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Vanquish on God Hard is a bit of a trial.

Bayonetta on Non Stop Infinite Climax was somewhat challenging but not sure I would call it hard, about right is what I would call it.