Hardest dificulties that are ACTUALLY BLOODY HARD!

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
I prefer a game's difficulty to test your ability, and not your patience. In that sense, Dead Space.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
pulse2 said:
I've played quite a few games and after playing them on Normal the first time through, the hardest difficulty didn't seem that bad afterwards, if anything, there were only slight changes, yes I did notice the difficulty change, but I wasn't really that bothered by it.

But what games have you played where the hardest difficulty made you think, "**** me, that was HARD, not sure if I'll be able to complete this any time soon".

I'm talking about the type of hard that used to exist in some games in the old days, not the hard where there are few saves and obvious game flaws, but the type of hard that makes you grit your teeth and clench your fists.
Try STALKER, either of them, on the hardest difficulty.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Civilization: Revolution for Xbox 360. Deity difficulty. The game just loves to screw you over on that. All the other civilizations have three cities and five more technologies than you, and you get a combat penalty whenever you engage enemy units.

The whole world is actively trying to commit genocide against your people, and it sucks.

sniper9474

Sep 3, 2008
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, the easiest difficulty is fairly challenging times. The hardest difficulty has you dead before the first round leaves the enemies weapon.

Hugarh1

Oct 4, 2010
Any Megami Tensei game. Persona 3 portable's special easy mode added in the remake was still harder than most other rpgs

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Devil May Cry 4's Hell or Hell mode. As far as I'm aware, only three people have ever beaten it. You die in one hit, the enemies are as difficult as the highest difficulty level, Dante Must Die.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
moosek said:
I prefer a game's difficulty to test your ability, and not your patience. In that sense, Dead Space.
Agreed, I like coming back to it to see if I can achieve what I couldn't achieve yesterday. I like realistic difficulty, not simply because the AI can now see you a mile off or because you've been severely hindered in some way. Thats just annoying.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Heroes V

Within the three parts of the game there are missions I can't even beat on the easiest difficulty. The hardest difficulty consists of adding two more enemy factions who are out for your guts.

Dan DePuy

Jun 15, 2011
Crysis. Your nanosuit seems all but useless when unsuited enemy infantry outflank you on all sides all the time and fill you up with bullets before you realize they're there.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
Gears of War 2 on insane, but only the vehicle parts... Those are just stupidly hard.

But overall, Ninja Gaiden 2... WHY GOD WHY?

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
fatal2704 said:
Diablo 2's hell mode. Gook luck playing past the first dungeon. you'll be swarmed so badly that every potion in the world couldn't reverse the damage.
You better be playing solo or on hardcore, the only enemies in that game that are honestly difficult are the Ubers with a properly tuned character. Also, get some damn full rejuvenation potions, full health/mana instantly and easy as shit to collect.

Demon's Souls has been mentioned, but that's a battle of attrition more than straight up difficulty, IWBTG falls into the same bullshit classification there.

I'm gonna go with R-Type Final, simply based on Final-C, fuck that stage, and the bullshit you have to do to get to it.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Age Of [empires, empires II; age of kings, mythology] just bumbing the difficulty up above nnormal usually found me fighting off 4 age units just afte5r i reached the second age...

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Senaro said:
Whatever difficulty you'd say Demon's Souls is set to.
More like the difficulty it's set to after you've finished the game once. 40% difficulty increase in that game just isn't fair.