Hardest dificulties that are ACTUALLY BLOODY HARD!

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
Adamc-mh said:
Fallout New Vegas on very hard plus hardcore, the amount of doctor's bags you need to go through and with the different types of ammo it brings in an element of actually thinking about your next attack and what ammo you should keep
FNV was very easy on hardest and hardcore. Disappointingly so. When LR comes out I'll try to tweak it a bit with mods until it plays like Stalker on hardest.

I'm fine with unarmed turning into a completely useless skill when the opponent has a gun. It's how it should be in an action game.

Actually I didn't find Stalker that hard on hardest. Then again I played that game to death.

But here's one real contender: is there ONE person on those forums who has finished Wither 2 on insane?

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
ShatterPalm said:
Maniac Mode on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Make it past chapter six. I dare you.
I wish my copy had maniac mode, or I would. Doing the hardest difficulty available to me was still easy. Radiant Dawn is probably the easiest Fire Emblem. Going through the hard modes on Shadow Dragon though, that's tough. I've only gotten to hard mode 3/5.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Mydogisblue said:
I thought Mass Effect 2's insanity mode was difficult but manageable, but fuck Mass Effect 1, I can't even pass the first level.
If you start with a high level soldier, it is surprisingly easy... though the huge health of the enemies making it very time consuming...

OT: As may have been stated, Ninja Gaiden and it's sequel.
Just as general difficulty (I can't remember if it had difficulty levels) Legend of Zelda II.

ShatterPalm

Sep 25, 2010
Coldflame727 said:
ShatterPalm said:
Coldflame727 said:
ShatterPalm said:
I accept that challenge.
Let me know how it goes, eh?
I will. Do I have to start over if I die?
Only If you're playing by my rules. That is to say, of course, you make it through the whole game without killing any of your party members.

ShatterPalm

Sep 25, 2010
I.N.producer said:
ShatterPalm said:
I wish my copy had maniac mode, or I would. Doing the hardest difficulty available to me was still easy. Radiant Dawn is probably the easiest Fire Emblem. Going through the hard modes on Shadow Dragon though, that's tough. I've only gotten to hard mode 3/5.
Actually I'v always found RD to be pretty challenging, largely because the Dawn Brigade Sucks ass. I agree with you on SD being fairly tough, but if you're looking to let everyone in your aarmy survive to the end of the game in RD, even medium is almost impossible. Hard and maniac are flat out torture.

Nooneishome

Feb 10, 2011
I dont See CoD's Veteran mode as "hard" its just playing against overpowered enemies so thats more of a learning experience

Hard is having to beat AI that are GOOD not overpowered and for that i pick
1. the Forza and GT series
2. Rock Band And Guitar hero games (no ai but some songs are legitimately hard)
3. Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Sorain AI

SupCom Has the most incredibly efficent but dumb as F*** AI the sorian mod makes them 500% more tactical and an actual challenge with out just giving them more health and damage like all FPS games seem to do

Also Iron Mode or anything like that is not difficulty its Just a dick move by the developers

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Games aren't difficult at all nowadays, with a few minor exceptions. No, I remember the original Total Annihilation, an RTS that I'm replaying now at the tender age of 21 come this Monday. And on that game, even the 'Easy' difficulty setting was hard as fuck on some levels. It took me hours and hours the other day to finish Laramb Harbour on the Arm Campaign, until I simply spammed Lurker submarines and had them guard the harbour entrance. Speaking of which, does anyone who's played that game have any tips for me on beating the nuclear silo mission later in the Arm Campaign, on Rougpelt?

Coldflame727

Jul 14, 2011
ShatterPalm said:
Coldflame727 said:
ShatterPalm said:
Coldflame727 said:
ShatterPalm said:
I accept that challenge.
Let me know how it goes, eh?
I will. Do I have to start over if I die?
Only If you're playing by my rules. That is to say, of course, you make it through the whole game without killing any of your party members.
Lulz, I beat Shadow Dragon on hardest without losing any of my squad, but that is because I only use like, five people. (Marth, Shapeshifter he-she, Abel as swordsmaster, Cain as swordsmaster, Ceadia or whatever he name is as archer.) I also have never gotten Falchion or the fake Falchion.

mrmostlymittens

Jul 1, 2010
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on veteran. I got stuck at the missile launch sight place. Got to the point of controller throwing.

Beat Modern Warfare 2 on veteran, rather easily, though. Go figure.

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
ShatterPalm said:
I.N.producer said:
ShatterPalm said:
snip
Actually I'v always found RD to be pretty challenging, largely because the Dawn Brigade Sucks ass. I agree with you on SD being fairly tough, but if you're looking to let everyone in your aarmy survive to the end of the game in RD, even medium is almost impossible. Hard and maniac are flat out torture.
I think I've just played too much Fire Emblem. Half the time, I know exactly what they'll do. The hardest Fire Emblem I've played is definitely 4 though. Every chapter is about the length of four in any other game. That is the only Fire Emblem where I was forced to accept casualties, and that was only before they joined me. I've heard 5 is also pretty masochistic.

SkyHawkMkIV

May 19, 2011
Starke said:
SkyHawkMkIV said:
Fallout: New Vegas. HARDCORE.
...is pathetically easy compared to STALKER on Stalker (Normal).

Seriously though, Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat has got to be it. I've finished Shadow of Chernobyl on Master, but CoP had me dead the first time I ran into a Boar.
Way to make me feel like an idiot for posting what I personally thought was the most difficult. Thanks a lot.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. I'm on Path of the Warrior. And I still can't beat the stupid statue in the first level on the first encounter. >>

docSpitfire

Jun 13, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Cowabungaa said:
lacktheknack said:
So I'll give it to Civilization V.

Oh my, Civilization V.
Gods I'm already having issues with Normal. For some reason the AI manages simply impossible research rates, advancing through the ages at lightning speed. I can best everyone military without issues, but everything else? Good heavens...
There actually are tactics to rocket your research - if you manage your great scientists right and get your paws on the right Wonders at the right times and research the right techs in the right order while buying the right buildings at the right times with no adherence to public defense or safety (in a strategy known as the "era slingshot"), you can have tanks by 1000 AD.

Yes, really.

Not that any of this will help you on Deity, though. I don't know what sort of black magic you need to summon to win on THAT difficulty.
I've seen a few "lets play" on diety level (I play on 7/8 whatever that difficulty is... "Immortal"?) and it seems that swordsmen are the key to victory. If you time your policies right and don't get screwed with nearby resources you can get a free settler the same turn you learn where iron is. Send a worker with him (if you don't park the city on top of it to get it free) and within a few turns you're making swordsmen. At this point the nearest cities should only have 8 or 9 defense and should be easily taken by a few swordsmen and archers in a matter of turns. (best to march your troops to just outside their border before declaring war. Also make sure you have enough melee units to protect your ranged units and declare war on anyone you think will declare war on you. If they get to move into position before declaring war you're at a huuuuge disadvantage, on the other hand if they have to move through your catapult's attack range to get to your city you can bombard them on the way.

at higher difficulties it's not about being strongest on the map, but rather being stronger than someone on the map. Any city you can take and puppet will help you develop more everything, and then by the time you cripple or eliminate them you'll be stronger than the next weakest civ... conquer or cripple them and so on and so on.

Also Arkham Asylum on hard was awful... but I liked it because I learned how to play that game really fast.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
NG+ of Demon's Souls is pretty legendary if you are soloing it like I did. Pretty much everything one shots you, with only the weakest trash mobs 2-shotting you. You go through the normal game kinda figuring things out and learning patterns, you finish it after a lot of patience feeling like a God, then you start NG+ and you are right back where you started, getting curbstomped in every corner. Then you get to a point where you actually never make any mistakes, every encounter and boss fight is like a flawless dance. Such a rare feeling these days.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Megaman X6: Extreme Mode

-Enemies *never* drop energy (health) items in Extreme Mode. Damage you take during a stage is USUALLY permanent (only one stage lets you effectively bypass this via a gimmick; besides any level-based/static energy pickups). Don't fucking get hit.
-There are more enemies in different places in the stages.
-Bosses ramp up to Level 3 quickly, and add new attacks to their arsenal. (Nightmare Mother in particular is crazy fucking difficult; easily the hardest boss in the ENTIRE SERIES, and one of the hardest technical bosses in *all of gaming*. There is only one "cheap strategy" that can help you here).

The game presents ROMhack levels of difficulty on Extreme Mode. It's a fun challenge regardless.