Hardest dificulties that are ACTUALLY BLOODY HARD!

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
It's relatively obscure, but Elven Legacy has ball crippling difficulty on Normal. I'd hate to see it on hard.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
SkyHawkMkIV said:
Starke said:
SkyHawkMkIV said:
Fallout: New Vegas. HARDCORE.
...is pathetically easy compared to STALKER on Stalker (Normal).

Seriously though, Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat has got to be it. I've finished Shadow of Chernobyl on Master, but CoP had me dead the first time I ran into a Boar.
Way to make me feel like an idiot for posting what I personally thought was the most difficult. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome. Honestly, even on very hard, New Vegas is not that difficult. It seems to be a popular choice in here, but it just isn't that hard. Now, if you're modding it, you can easily bump it into a much more challenging level, but the Vanilla game isn't that bad. It does require you to look at the game differently, but it doesn't make it hard.

The STALKER games use a similar kind of difficulty, but are far more murderous about it.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Hardest I've ever heard of is probably Ninja Gaiden Black's Very Hard mode, considering the last time I checked (a while ago, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) only 9 people have ever beaten it. As for the hardest that I've played, that would have to be the hardest mode on DMC 3, I forget what it's called. Tried the last mission (3rd Vergil battle) and got OWNED.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
rt052192 said:
The earlier Halo games and the first couple legend of zelda games
I agree with you on Halo. The last mission of the first game on Legendary was damn near impossible.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Sixcess said:
Doom/Doom II on Nightmare. Enemies are more aggresive, attack faster and respawn 30 seconds after you kill them. It basically turns the entire game into a speed run, since if you take one wrong turn you can easily get overwhelmed if you have to backtrack into a room you just cleared which is now full of enemies again.
You get twice as much ammo, but if you wait around to collect it you'll end up using 4 times as much as you normally would.

Mirror's Edge on Hard mode basically relied on you remembering the correct route from your previous playthrough. Still, more frustrating than difficult. If you go for Test Of Faith (no guns), then you're screwed. Battles that should take three seconds take minutes as you have to now ninja all of your enemies instead of stealing their guns and mowing them down.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Hardest game I've played is Ninja Gaiden 2 on the hardest difficulty. I think it actually took months for me to beat it.
I still haven't beaten it on "way of the warrior" :(.

Did you have it on the 360? I hear the Ps3 sigma version was easier. (I have it on 360 and I'm standing behind that excuse... I mean that reason.) Anyhow if you do too, kudos. Oh and can you beat it for me, I want to pretend if anyone asks that I managed it XD.

SkyHawkMkIV

May 19, 2011
Starke said:
SkyHawkMkIV said:
Starke said:
SkyHawkMkIV said:
Fallout: New Vegas. HARDCORE.
...is pathetically easy compared to STALKER on Stalker (Normal).

Seriously though, Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat has got to be it. I've finished Shadow of Chernobyl on Master, but CoP had me dead the first time I ran into a Boar.
Way to make me feel like an idiot for posting what I personally thought was the most difficult. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome. Honestly, even on very hard, New Vegas is not that difficult. It seems to be a popular choice in here, but it just isn't that hard. Now, if you're modding it, you can easily bump it into a much more challenging level, but the Vanilla game isn't that bad. It does require you to look at the game differently, but it doesn't make it hard.

The STALKER games use a similar kind of difficulty, but are far more murderous about it.
Look, it was a subjective question to begin with. New Vegas on Hardcore is the most difficult that I have played. No need to incessantly beat me over the head with your opinion. I'm not doing that to you, am I? I'm not even arguing that Clear Sky or Call of Pripyat are more or less difficult than NV on HC. I can concede that. Why must you prove that you are superior to some random person on the internet?

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
Call of Duty: World at War. Hardened isn't really that hard at all if you take your time. Veteran, OH GOD IT'S RAINING GRENADES! AHHHHHHHH!!!!! Were the Germans fighting with their Olympic shot-put team? At least Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops seemed fair. I could beat them!

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
I got Little Rocket Man on my third play-through of HL2ep2. I'd played it on hard before so decided to play on hard again. Either way, I can't stay mad at that face.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Ghengis John said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Hardest game I've played is Ninja Gaiden 2 on the hardest difficulty. I think it actually took months for me to beat it.
I still haven't beaten it on "way of the warrior" :(.

Did you have it on the 360? I hear the Ps3 sigma version was easier. (I have it on 360 and I'm standing behind that excuse... I mean that reason.) Anyhow if you do too, kudos. Oh and can you beat it for me, I want to pretend if anyone asks that I managed it XD.
Yeah it was on the 360. I think 3 controllers were killed horribly in the fighting lol. RIP. I'm not sure I deserve praise for being stupidly persistent. It's not like I did it with any style. xD

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
HassEsser said:
God mode - God of War
Titan mode - God of War II
Chaos mode - God of War III

I mean, I beat all these, but. . . holy shit, was it hard.

EDIT: Half-Life was actually pretty hard on hard, too. Health stations only did like 25 HP, enemies dropped little ammo, while dealing insane amounts of damage and taking next to none. . . quite the ride, that was.
These weren't hard compared to some other games. If you careful you could complete without saving.

Quake III arena on Nightmare. Could get off the first level.

Doom 1 or 2 on Nightmare. Oh My God!!

Sixcess said:
Doom/Doom II on Nightmare. Enemies are more aggresive, attack faster and respawn 30 seconds after you kill them. It basically turns the entire game into a speed run, since if you take one wrong turn you can easily get overwhelmed if you have to backtrack into a room you just cleared which is now full of enemies again.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Last time this question was posed a lot of people mentioned 'I wanna be the Guy'. Haven't played it but saw some videos... Damn.

justacop

Nov 1, 2008
Timesplitters 2 on hard is a real challenge and not cheap either unlike any of the COD series or Halo.
Also Pharaoh, Donkey Kong Country, DOOM series on nightmare, and Super Meat Boy actually gets extremely hard later on in the game too.

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
Diablo II's Hell mode. Goddamn. I've only ever played this difficulty with a hacked character, and I gave up just after Blood Raven. It should not take 30 minutes to kill one Champion monster. (I was in the Crypt - I gave up, saved and never played on Hell with that character again).

I'm actually on a run-through of Nightmare mode at the moment. Perhaps I should try again once I get it out of the way. (Totally legit, might I add).