Hardest Moral Choice you had to make in a game?

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
The only one I can think of was whether to overwrite the heretics or not. I wished both choices would give renegade points, that would be more appropriate.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Persona 4. In the scene that branches the endings when:

Nanako appears to be dead, and you've got Namatame cornered. Everyone is really angry, he's not provided any clear answers at all and seems to be totally incapable of showing signs of innocence.

I've spent what must have been 60 hours growing closer to these people, Nanako included, and her death was really upsetting. There's a TV in the room. You could kill him the same way he's been committing the crimes since the start. Not only would you have your vengeance, but you'd put a stop to a serial killer.

You haven't totally proven it's him, but all signs point that way. There's still mysteries to be explained, but first things first - Do you kill him for he did to your cousin?

I think it's so effective because it uses the same system as the rest of the game's conversations, which ranged from the most trivial decisions like "eat what's in the fridge?" to starting a relationship with someone. It doesn't have that awful habit of separating out the choices into good or bad on a points scale, or pulling you out of the regular game to make the choice.

sofur

Jan 10, 2011
By far, the end choices in Bastion. I had to walk away for a minute because I was panicking over what to do. I'm not gonna tell you what they are, go find out yourself.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
The Geth solution from ME2,

Rights of the few v good of the many is really tired, the geth one makes you think.

LFC Scouser

The Fifteenth Arcana
Jun 7, 2010
Truly-A-Lie said:
Persona 4. In the scene that branches the endings when:

Nanako appears to be dead, and you've got Namatame cornered. Everyone is really angry, he's not provided any clear answers at all and seems to be totally incapable of showing signs of innocence.

I've spent what must have been 60 hours growing closer to these people, Nanako included, and her death was really upsetting. There's a TV in the room. You could kill him the same way he's been committing the crimes since the start. Not only would you have your vengeance, but you'd put a stop to a serial killer.

You haven't totally proven it's him, but all signs point that way. There's still mysteries to be explained, but first things first - Do you kill him for he did to your cousin?

I think it's so effective because it uses the same system as the rest of the game's conversations, which ranged from the most trivial decisions like "eat what's in the fridge?" to starting a relationship with someone. It doesn't have that awful habit of separating out the choices into good or bad on a points scale, or pulling you out of the regular game to make the choice.
I was in a total did they seriously just do that, seeing as since I maxed Nanako and Dojima social links. I felt really close to them I was in shock, that games characterization was almost to good.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
drummond13 said:
For me it was the "save your girlfriend or save a half dozen doctors" choice in Infamous 1.

I chose the girl. Whoops.
See, that one ticked me off because no matter the choice, you can't save her. That was the one time I did the 'evil' thing because it's what I would do in real life. The life of someone I love verses the life of only a few strangers is a painful choice, but I know which one I would make. Then, you get to the top to save her, and BAM! Fooled you! Grr...I went back and saved the doctors then.

The only moral choice that I have trouble with is choosing who should be king in Orzammar. You have the kind man who will rule gently, but leaves Orzammar as it is, which isn't exactly great. Then you have the tyrant who will murder anyone who opposes him, but gives Orzammar a new golden age. I still have trouble with that one. Everything else I can decide easily, in every game I've ever played.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
World of Warcraft.

I kid you not, I was playing the same old grind I always do when some Banshee says "Some of our troops have been captured, I want you to break into the enemies base and kill them", this was made even worse by the fact that one begged for his life... I didnt do it in the end, felt like a right dick, couldnt complete the quest chain BUT I kept my dignitity soooooo... yeah.

I know its not exactly what you asked for but its the one I remember having me most torn recently. Follow orders and get loads of stuff OR not be a complete prick.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
Dragon Age 2, Act 1 Finale. I just sat there contemplating whether or not to bring Bethany along for the expedition. She'd been a vial portion of my party construction, and taking her with me would have greatly increased my odds of survival. On the other hand, she's my sister, and it's a particularly dangerous mission as there is no where to run away to should things go wrong, and if something happened to either of us, something would have happened to both of us, leaving my mother bereft and alone, forced to bury ALL of her children, after having lost her home, her husband, and her heritage already.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
The end of infamous 2.
you basically have to choose between killing all humans to save the conduits (people with superpowers such as Cole) or kill all the conduits and yourself to save the puny humans.
I'm interested, what did you do? I don't own a PS3 but that is one hard choice!

On topic though, a few of the decisions in Alpha Protocol were hard to make.

Fallout: New Vegas also had good questions, as all sides usually had good points.

And of course, Dragon Age 2's main choice. Mage VS Templar. I'm actually going to do a run through somewhen, as a Templar lover as I think that could be quite interesting, having Sebastion in my party, etc.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
....then am I the only one so far that chose to kill the most people just to be a douche?

I don't play many games that require you to tear out your conscious. Last one I played was Fable two...and I think the choices were--save everyone that died because of the evil guy, bring back your loved ones and the dog or get the money.

I was torn between the money and saving my dog...and only my dog....

in the end I chose saving my dog which ultimately brought my wife back as well...and my sister...jooooy.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure if this counts as a moral choice, but when you find the sasquach. You're given a mission to kill them, and after hunting them all down you're led to a lone bigfoot crying at the base of a tree.

A cutscene ensues where he asks you to kill him, as you've killed all of his family and friends. John Marston keeps saying that, "The legends said you eat babies." even though he's corrected and that they eat berries. Eventually he breaks down and starts crying, saying he wants it to end.

After that you're dropped back into the game. I felt terrible, so I pulled out my Blunderbuss and took aim. I fired, but he lived. He got up and started running, screaming that he just wanted to be left alone. I chased after him, I had to put him down.

I've only ever winced at my actions in a game once, and it was right there.

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
Catherine: Stay with the long time lover pushing for marriage, or hook up with the new gorgeous mysterious chick...

Just kidding.

I have to agree with those who cited ME2's heretic geth choice. That's a good one.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The end of infamous 2.
you basically have to choose between killing all humans to save the conduits (people with superpowers such as Cole) or kill all the conduits and yourself to save the puny humans.
That one bothered me, especially when I picked the bad karma one. It didn't help that the ending song was a downer, even though it's a good song.

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
When playing Fable 2 I couldn't decide whether I should be a nice guy by continuing to play it to get some achievements even though the combat was boring and the story was lame or if I should be an arsehole and just turn it off.

I picked arsehole.

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
Fallout 3: The Pitt

There is a crippling and horrific virus plaguing the slave population of a city. There is a cure, but it isn't until a pivotal moment where you realize that that potential cure is actually a Baby. Her Father is the overlord of the city who uses slaves to further the production of the city, the only city that can make things after a devastating nuclear war. The overlord, Ashur, does not really seek to keep the population as "Slaves", but notes that without them, the city cannot thrive and produce as it can. He and his wife promise that they will develop a cure for this illness by developing it from the immunity of their child, but it will take time as they do not want to risk her health.

On the other hand the slaves want to rebel against the cruel and harsh nature of their forced labor, the two leaders are divided on the nature of the rebellion, Midea just wants to free the slaves while Werhner is just using it as an excuse to get revenge on Ashur by kidnapping his baby daughter and seizing power for himself. Both know that the "Cure" is actually an innocent baby. Midea feels guilty over corrupting such an innocent being, but fights for the greater good for the greatest number, while Werhner is just doing it to spite Ashur.

I was so willing to go in, Gun's blazing and kill all the Pitt Raiders and slaver scum too free the slaves, until I saw Marie, the little baby who holds the cure to the Trog disease. As I looked at her, i couldn't bring myself to take her away and kill her parents, who had proven that once they managed to find a cure, they would give it to the slaves and free them, turning The Pitt in to a productive City instead of a husk of pre-war industry.

In that moment of seeing the Baby, and of the things my character had experienced in the wasteland, i couldn't bring myself to take her, so ended up repressing the slaves and killing Werhner.

Once i returned to the Capital Wasteland, I still felt frigging guilty as hell. Either way my descion was going to be a questionable one. But when i went back to see that baby again, i felt like it was the right way to go.

Seriously, that moment was one of the most profound moral dilemma's i've had in a game. It made my question a lot about my values. Do i help the repressed masses at a horrific cost of a child's life or do i preserve the love and innocence of a child while repressing the liberty of others, with the promise of future freedom?

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
The entire dark brotherhood quest line. Even if it wasn't much of a choice, it was just painful.
ChaosBorne said:
basically choosing who to side with in fallout new-vegas, my first character basically had been all over the place, doing quest for every faction, up until the point of no return and i literally could not decide who i should support, took me 2 days to finally take the NCR's side, mostly that was because of Boone though couldn't get myself to seperate from my sniper buddy.

thing is when you get down to it, all sides have their good points and their bad points, no side is "clean" they've all done rather terrible things, Caesar slightly worse then NCR but they just work so much better that i found it hard to just discount them, yes they kept slaves etc. but all the people you talk to who actually live under his rule say there are no raiders in his lands people are safe, they have plenty of supplies, sure they lack certain freedoms but to survive in the fallout universe you'll have to make some sacrifices after all. NCR wasn't exactly an innocent party either, you have something they want and they will simply annex you whether you agree with it or not, also they were trying to do too many things at the same time, spreading themselves out too thin and thus weakening the stability of the region they controlled, drug abuse, raiders, gambling, prostitution etc. all were rampant problems in the NCR. House, well he was kind of an ass but his plans for the region were more about keeping the status quo intact and in the end would probably have a big pay off though it would have meant that nothing noteworthy would change in the near future and people would suffer heavely because of the war between NCR and the legion.

so yeah i found that to be a particularly difficult decision to make, mostly because i could actualyl sympathise with all parties, which i feel just goe to show what superb writing went into the game, while yes Caesar was the slightly more "evil" choice House the "neutral" choice and the NCR the "good" choice they never felt so stereotypically clear-cut.
I thought all of them were sort of evil... As much as I hate killing people unprovoked, I killed house and took over vegas.

cjb909

Oct 23, 2009
The ending to Prince of Persia (2008). When I saw what the character wanted to do, I probably spent about twenty minutes looking for any other choice I could make. But, alas, the only choice I had was to continue or to stop playing.

thepicle

Dec 19, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The end of infamous 2.
That one bothered me, especially when I picked the bad karma one. It didn't help that the ending song was a downer, even though it's a good song.

Same, the good ending was so sad :(

Nov 28, 2007
Mass Effect 1, the end of Virmire. Dang, that was a hard choice to make, no matter what. Also, the overwrite/destroy heretics mission in Mass Effect 2. That is the definition of grey vs grey options.