Harold Ramis "Overwhelmed" by Ghostbusters

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Harold Ramis "Overwhelmed" by Ghostbusters

Harold Ramis - writer and co-star of Ghostbusters - reportedly "had no idea" what he was getting into when he signed on to reprise his role as Egon Spengler for the upcoming ghost-busting videogame.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the idea that working on a major Hollywood motion picture takes a lot of hard work. Nor do I think anyone would disagree that these days, games are becoming more and more like movies (gee, if only we had an issue devoted to week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_195/5909-A-Videogame-in-Three-Acts]...). Still, just because you're familiar with one medium doesn't mean it's simple to jump over to the other - just ask Harold Ramis.

Ramis, who is perhaps best known for his work as scriptwriter and co-star of the 1984 blockbuster Ghostbusters, agreed to reprise his role as paranormal researcher extraordinaire Egon Spengler for the upcoming video game that continues the story of the Ghostbusters where the second movie left off. Ramis told MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/03/30/ghosbuster-harold-ramis-overwhelmed-by-ghostbusters-video-game-script/] that he hadn't been prepared for the amount of work that went into voicing a video game:

[blockquote]"It was a little weird. I had no idea because I'm not a gamer. The game scripts are like 250 pages. You need all these alternatives so it took forever. A lot of it is just yelling, 'Look out! Throw that trap, rookie!' Stuff like that."[/blockquote]

Beyond providing his voice for Dr. Spengler - "Fortunately the voice still fits," Ramis joked, even if the old uniform did not - Ramis worked with fellow Ghostbusters star Dan Aykroyd as a consultant on the project. Whereas Aykroyd acted as a consultant for the game's overall story, Ramis said that he "helped [Aykroyd] change the dialogue." So, knowing that the original Ghostbusters scriptwriter had a hand in writing the game's script should put some minds at ease, no?

Ghostbusters is set for a release this June to mark the 25th anniversary of the original film.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/03/31/ghostbusters-harold-ramis-says-game-voiceovers-took-forever/])

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
If theres something strange
In your neighbourhood
Who you gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS!

Hope the game is worth it. :p

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
It's a lot harder writing for video games. The script for the Simpson's Game was longer than an entire season. Fable 2 had 250,000 lines of dialogue in it.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
So, knowing that the original Ghostbusters scriptwriter had a hand in writing the game's script should put some minds at ease, no?
No.
Don't even try to get my hopes up for a movie-video game tie in. Not even fond memories of Ghost hunting can get past my guard.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Still hard to believe this game was almost canceled... good or bad, it's a sure-fire money-maker. I'm a bit disappointed to learn that Ramis and Aykroyd only helped with the script; I was under the impression until now they had done most of the work.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The inner 80's kid in me is screaming...
Wait, I have one of those?!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
All I want to know...

1 - Can you shoot civilians with the proton guns (and what happens to them)?
2 - Can I drive Ecto-1?
3 - Is there Dana, or is there only Zul?
1 - No
2 - Maybe
3 - There is no Dana, only Zul.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
It'll never be better than the Ghostbusters for NES. I fondly remember trying to figure out what the hell was going on, trying to get up that tower, and then getting pissed and going outside to play.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'm looking forward to it anyway, and not just because of Alyssa Milano ;)
Wait, Alyssa Milano is in it? Mmmm... this game suddenly became a whole lot more interesting... ;D

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
Surely there's only one thing to be said about this.

Doe
...Ray
...EGON!

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
TsunamiWombat said:
1 - No
2 - Maybe
3 - There is no Dana, only Zul.
1 - Damnit
2 - Damnit, it better be possible
3 - I await Gozer, the Keymaster
1. It's spelled dammit in my dictionary.
2. See above.
3. I am the Keymaster.

BFGbestGunEver

Apr 1, 2009
How about the giant Marshmallow Man, can we battle him? I hope they paid money and put in other characters to be blown up.

Jolly Green Giant
The Keebler Elves
Mr. Peanut
Charlie the Tuna
Mrs. Butterworth
any you can think of?

If I could blow them up I would definitely buy the game. Not sure how the people who own the brands would appreciate having their icons be bad guys though.

The Young One

Mar 26, 2009
I'm actually really looking forward to this :)
*All hail Atari*
Without you, there would be no game D: !!!