Harrison Ford Building Facebook Game to Save the World

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Harrison Ford Building Facebook Game to Save the World

The heroic Harrison Ford might also save the world in real life, through his upcoming Facebook game.

As the vice chairman of nonprofit organization Conservation International [http://www.conservation.org], Harrison Ford has an interest in protecting nature so that humanity can continue to survive healthily and happily for as long as possible. Ford and CI have teamed up with videogame studio Talkie to develop a Facebook game called Ecotopia to help spread the word of this mission.

Ecotopia will be a free-to-play game where players build up a city from an uninhabitable environment. Completing missions generates resources for the city, which can be customized to a player's liking.

The game will teach players about green initiatives. Participating in these initiatives earns points and helps players to advance. Ecotopia also features a "cinematic" story about the battle for a clean environment. Video will be integrated into Ecotopia to tie it into the real world and to potentially get players active outside of the game.

Larry Bond, chairman of Talkie, says Ford has been "providing thoughts on how key environmental issues could be integrated into the interactive experience." Ford says: "I'm excited to be involved with Ecotopia because I see it as a great way to engage millions of people in our fight to protect our planet by taking action online and in our daily lives. As we work to address the most fundamental issues facing humanity, I think Ecotopia will help get people involved in a way that is fun, educational, and meaningful."

Talkie will be tallying the actions of Ecotopia players to determine the impact it has. Eventually, the game will come to other "online platforms," possibly meaning mobile phones.

Recycling is not only good for the planet, it now also impresses Harrison Ford. Ecotopia will launch in spring 2011.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harrison-ford-helps-develop-environmental-164831]

Sep 13, 2009
To be honest, I never pictured Harrison Ford as one of the "save the earth, man" people. Guess you learn something new everyday.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I thought it was going to be a sim of Harrison Ford going around trying to kill off the characters he's played. If it were up to him Han and Indy would have died a long time ago.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
This is all rather surreal. I havn't found Facebook games to be good in my experience, but I'll play them every so often as a time sink. Perhaps this one will be one I can have a little less shame in whilst playing.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Okay, fair enough then... Building cities out of uninhabitable environments sounds like Minecraft really =D

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
I am actually not too surprised at this, given what Cracked wrote about him last year: http://www.cracked.com/article_18905_11-celebrities-who-were-secretly-total-badasses.html

For those who don't feel like clicking the link, it's summed up in this sentence: "Ford is the real-world Han Solo, if Han Solo piloted helicopters, worked for free and actually liked helping people."

If he's going to dedicate a similar amount of energy to this project, I for one would be interested to see how it turns out.

i am not god

Dec 6, 2007
Yes, full of Ford goodness. More Harrison Ford is a good thing, he should do more things, I like things.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Fine, I'll play his game...but my city will be the most wretched hive of scum and villainy.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
I heard it was digitally edited because Ford originally recycled a can preemptively and it made him "look like a bad guy", so now it takes several blaster shots at him and misses before he recycles it.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Baron Von Evil Satan said:
To be honest, I never pictured Harrison Ford as one of the "save the earth, man" people. Guess you learn something new everyday.
This 65 year old man waxes his chest for environmental awareness.

He takes the pain to make the planet better, man! :3

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Alpha Maeko said:
Han recycled first.
Hot damn.

How will they explain how ozone depletion works?

George Lucas: "...midichlorians."

Oh no, you don't. This is a free-to-play game, dammit.