Harrison Ford Injured on Set of Star Wars: Episode VII

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Harrison Ford Injured on Set of Star Wars: Episode VII

Han Solo suffered an ankle injury in the upcoming film, Star Wars: Episode VII.

71-year old actor Harrison Ford has been injured on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII. According to Disney, Ford was hospitalized in London after sustaining a "bad ankle injury" this past Wednesday. Ford, who's once again reprising his role as the iconic character Han Solo, was said to be injured at Pinewood Studios in England when a hydraulic door fell down and hit him, possibly fracturing his ankle.

Ford was then airlifted to a "a local hospital and is receiving care," says a statement from Disney/Lucasfilm. Meanwhile, filming on Star Wars: Episode VII, which is being directed by J.J. Abrams is expected to continue; though it's not known whether Ford will return to work once he's released from the hospital.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in December 18, 2015, with original Star Wars trilogy actors Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) and Carrie Fisher (Leia) reprising their roles for the franchise's seventh official entry.

For more Star Wars reading, make sure you check out the showing Tatooine and possibly a new creature [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135002-The-Millennium-Falcon-for-Star-Wars-VII-is-Under-Construction].

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/harrison-ford-injured-on-the-set-of-star-wars-episode-vii-1201219316/]

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
BigTuk said:
There's a: "I'm getting too old for this" joke in there somewhere. But seriously. This is why one shouldn't bring old actors back just for the sake of fan appeal. They could have hired a perfectly competent Harrison FOrd look alike, with less brittle bones.
Considering the nature of the accident, I highly doubt his age was much of a factor. Naturally he's more susceptible to injury, but that's never been a reason to count out older actors before.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Alex Co said:
"bad ankle injury"

Ford was then airlifted to a "a local hospital and is receiving care,"
Some people get shot an can barely get a regular ambulance to come get them sometimes, Celebrity gets an injury kids get when playing sports and gets a helicopter.

Equality is a myth.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jedi Master Leia is about 200 years old in the EU, and she's still physically active. Maybe they should have made Han a Jedi too?

OT; It seems movie makers, or some actors, don't get how aging works on the human body. Mental strength doesn't count for jack when your bones are as strong as wet talcum powder.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Angelous Wang said:
Alex Co said:
"bad ankle injury"

Some people get shot an can barely get a regular ambulance to come get them sometimes, Celebrity gets an injury kids get when playing sports and gets a helicopter.

Equality is a myth.
Yeh really, money eh. Wonder wtf his role even is.

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
Mahorfeus said:
BigTuk said:
There's a: "I'm getting too old for this" joke in there somewhere. But seriously. This is why one shouldn't bring old actors back just for the sake of fan appeal. They could have hired a perfectly competent Harrison FOrd look alike, with less brittle bones.
Considering the nature of the accident, I highly doubt his age was much of a factor. Naturally he's more susceptible to injury, but that's never been a reason to count out older actors before.
seriously this, you need look no further than Christopher Lee, he was in his late 70's for the first lotr movies, then the prequel star wars and he fights yoda, computer and stunt double assisted but still that's nothing new, I personally doubt Han will have anything that crazy happening though I think he's going to die in one of these.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Hydraulic door?

Why do these guys need a hydraulic door? This isn't supposed to be a real spaceship (per the other article it happened on the Millennium Falcon)! Hydraulic equipment is heavy and can be pressurized from hundreds to even thousands of pounds pressure. Why would they POSSIBLY need real hydraulics for a fake door on a fake spaceship?

I REALLY hope it was a door with fake hydraulics (you know, to make it look like a hydraulic door).

Whatever happened to the good ol' days when movie spaceship doors were light and operated by men hiding around the corner pulling on ropes with "whoosh" sound effects added in to make us BELIEVE they were hydraulic doors?

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Wouldn't be the first time Harrison Ford dinged up a leg on set. He got injured during the shooting of The Fugitive, resulting in a limp throughout the rest of the movie. It's most noticeable during the chase scene at the jail.

Sounds like he was lucky, though. Even if it was a movie prop, most hydraulic platforms are heavy enough to easily crush or shear off a leg. Also, the more people who were meant to be on the thing at one time, the more likely it was to be a heavier design.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Angelous Wang said:
Alex Co said:
"bad ankle injury"

Equality is a myth.
I highly doubt that the helicopter was from the hospital, it mostly likely was from the production team (especially since in the movies time is money so they really need him to get medical care as fast as possible). Not saying that they dont usually take priority but I dont think this is really the case.