Harrison Ford Returns to U.S. For Rehab, Will Miss 6-8 Weeks' Star Wars Shooting

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Harrison Ford Returns to U.S. For Rehab, Will Miss 6-8 Weeks' Star Wars Shooting

"I am like a battered old Ford," says injured actor

JJ Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII has encountered the first unexpected challenge to its shooting schedule as Harrison Ford's leg injury, apparently more serious than initially reported, has led to the 71 year-old actor returning to the U.S. for a 6-8 week stint of rehab.

Ford was reported to have suffered a broken leg when, on June 12th, a door on the Millennium Falcon set accidentally fell on him. While Ford successfully underwent surgery and is expected to make a full recovery, his absence will leave the production without one of its main stars for almost two months of shooting. His spokesperson has indicated that Ford is none the less looking forward to returning to work.

Episode VII, which will also reunite Ford's Original Trilogy castmates Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, is currently shooting at London's Pinewood Studios under Abrams' direction for a December 2015 release date.

Source: Contact Music [http://www.contactmusic.com/article/harrison-ford-using-wheelchair-after-undergoing-surgery-on-broken-leg_4254933]

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Episode VII: The Revenge of the Evil Doors
I wonder how badly he had treated the door back in the days if it was still hungry for revenge.

I wonder how big a thing this is for the shooting of the film.
I mean if a sportsman is gone for 2 months they miss big competitions or in club sports they are out for almost 1/5 of the season. I guess they will just be filming stuff he won't be in for the next 2 months.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Maybe this will force J.J Abrams hand. Rumors abound that the film was originally going to have a much larger focus on the new generation of actors, but when the rewrites following Arndt's departure started happening, the old actors were pushed to the forefront to bank on Nostalgia. Here's hoping that the new actors get a bigger role due to this.

Good movies have been made with middle of shooting rewrites. Alien 3 didn't even have a completed script before they started shooting scenes, and it's still a great film (barring the fact that it killed the entire supporting cast from Aliens)

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
im more surprised that he has to go to the US for that. i always thought the british healthcare is really good there. or is it a more diplomatic reason for it?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Metalrocks said:
im more surprised that he has to go to the US for that. i always thought the british healthcare is really good there. or is it a more diplomatic reason for it?
The way I understand it, US healthcare is pretty great, if you can afford it. And he can. Also, he probably wants to recover in a more familiar environment and in the care of his own doctors.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
For a second I thought Harrison was on drugs and needed rehab.

Carrie Fisher was enough methinks.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Metalrocks said:
If you were a rich actor who could go where you want for treatment would you go home or no?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Jumwa said:
Metalrocks said:
If you were a rich actor who could go where you want for treatment would you go home or no?
lol, true. but even if i would be rich, i still would not travel all the way back. then you have to get used to the time change again, pack everything, etc.
but well, im sure he had his reasons.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Metalrocks said:
British healthcare is free, not good. I imagine 6-8 weeks would be him sitting in fucking waiting room. I mean yes, he'd get private, but private healthcare is still better over the pond.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Damn. Even for big budget movies, Murphy's Law is always in effect. Hope Harrison Ford makes a speedy recovery.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Metalrocks said:
Jumwa said:
Metalrocks said:
lol, true. but even if i would be rich, i still would not travel all the way back. then you have to get used to the time change again, pack everything, etc.
but well, im sure he had his reasons.
If he's going to be in treatment for possibly two months, it seems worth it. And I'm sure he has other people to pack for him. ;)

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011

#greedoshutfirst
But seriously Ford, that whole "break a leg" thing is colloquialism, you're not supposed to take it literally.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
The chances of Han Solo getting killed off to raise the stakes has just increased from "pretty high" to "bloody high"

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Metalrocks said:
By 'good' do you mean free? Because, yeah, then it's good.
Otherwise, not so much.