Harry Potter Gets Scared Witless In His Next Movie

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Harry Potter Gets Scared Witless In His Next Movie

Daniel Radcliffe isn't venturing too far from the Wizarding World, as his latest movie project involves him trying to survive a haunted house.

Now that the Harry Potter movies are finished (until someone inevitably decides to reboot the franchise in about twenty years or so), Daniel Radcliffe is moving on to other projects. However, the man who's best known for his on-screen wizardry isn't venturing too far outside of the fantasy genre for his first post-Potter film: He's going to be terrorized by a vengeful ghost in The Woman in Black

The film is based on the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Woman-Black-Ghost-Story/dp/1567921892/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302559335&sr=8-1>1981 novel by Susan Hill, which largely plays out like a long ghost story from Victorian England. Basically, the story follows a lawyer named Arthur Kipps who is summoned to a small English town to wrap up the affairs of a recently-deceased reclusive widow in a small English town. While going about his job, young Mr. Kipps finds himself haunted by a woman dressed in black; things start out slowly at first, but grow increasingly terrifying as the book progresses.

The teaser trailer certainly seems promising, though it's hard not to be with a video this short. That said, this certainly seems like an old-school ghost story with a decidedly 1970s (lots of atmosphere and little, if any, actual gore) feel. The movie is due out on October 28th.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/#!5790691/first-trailer-for-daniel-radcliffes-ghost-story-the-woman-in-black>io9

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
vansau said:
The film is based on the 1981 novel by Susan Hill...
Im pretty sure its not supposed to look like that.

OT: If my memory is correct, and it rarely is, on what happens in the book, then this happening wouldnt be a surprise at all.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Yay, link fixed. Movie looks interesting, I might check it out a year after it's released and the price has dropped... cause that's when I always check out movies...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Kind of weird seeing him as an actual man.

In Harry Potter he's either actually been in a school uniform, or he's looked like a 16-year-old dressed as a librarian.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
But Harry Potter is a really cool guy. He shoots magic at badguys and doesn't afraid of anything.

Meh. I'm still unhappy that Deathly Hallows got split into two movies. The Sum of All Fears was bigger (in terms of page count) than Deathly Hallows and it's only one movie.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Ha, studying this book right now for my Literacy coursework. Yeah, Daniel Radcliffe will pretty much play the same character.

thristhart

Jul 16, 2010
Articles with a title like this one is the reason Radcliffe is going to have trouble with his career. With an iconic early role it's going to be hard for him to play a character that's not very similar...

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Much like Elijah Wood, Radcliffe ventures out into perhaps more mature setted movies. I mean we had Wood in Sin City, mind you he was a villian. Anyway, I'd like to see what Radcliffe does from here, maybe a voice over for an animated movie too.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Woodsey said:

In Harry Potter he's either actually been in a school uniform, or he's looked like a 16-year-old dressed as a librarian.
I know, right? Good grief is it really almost over? Almost feels like the end of an era for me, it's the last franchise from my middle school years to wrap up. I mean yeah we've got The Hobbit coming out in a year or two but it's like this is capping off the last decade of movies.

Oh well, once the screen goes black at the end of the Part 2 I intend to shout in the theater "WOOO HOO! IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!"

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
I saw this as a play in Southhampton with my school, and genuinely scary it was. I, like the majority of my friends, didn't exactly shit ourselves though. Some of my friends did; I remember the twins standing up in the interval literally pale-faced.
If this film is anything like the play, then it should prove quite terrifying. Oh, and Daniel Radcliffe should be good. Hopefully. Be wierd seeing him in a different role..

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
In this movie he plays a normal guy who is haunted by a single ghost, yes Harry Potter had a few ghosts knocking about but what other comparison is being made here?

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think this makes him "typecast", I also think he's become quite a decent actor as time has went on so will be checking this out myself.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
Woodsey said:

I know, right? Good grief is it really almost over? Almost feels like the end of an era for me, it's the last franchise from my middle school years to wrap up. I mean yeah we've got The Hobbit coming out in a year or two but it's like this is capping off the last decade of movies.

Oh well, once the screen goes black at the end of the Part 2 I intend to shout in the theater "WOOO HOO! IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!"
"Twilight FTW!" is going to be mine.

The last one is the only one I haven't seen in the cinema though (or seen at all yet) - couldn't really be arsed after the Half Blood Prince. That film was 40 minutes too long, and boring.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Saw this in the theatre, the whole point of the play is that it makes you question whether the play is 'real' or just a play, whether you're actually with arthur kipps and the actor in the abandoned theatre or whether you're just watching a play. it is seriously chilling, and truthfully terrifying, but i really cannot see any way that it would transfer to cinema