Harry Potter Spinoff Film Series and Games Are in the Works

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Harry Potter Spinoff Film Series and Games Are in the Works

JK Rowling signs on to be the screenwriter for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was originally just a fictional textbook set inside the Harry Potter universe for first-year students at Hogwarts to read. JK Rowling made the fictional book a reality in 2001, and today she announced she will make her screenwriting debut with a movie adaptation, the first in a series of spinoff films. Warner Bros. plans to develop Fantastic Beasts for "videogame, consumer products and digital initiatives businesses, including enhanced links with Pottermore.com, Rowling's digital online experience built around the Harry Potter series," the press release states.

The movie will focus on the life of Newt Scamander, the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in the Harry Potter universe. The film will also take place in New York 70 years before Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Rowling does not intend for it to be a prequel or a sequel but as "an extension of the wizarding world," she said.

Knowing how popular the franchise has been for Warner Bros., it's not surprising that it will continue on even without Harry. Rowling said Warner Bros. approached her with the suggestion of adapting the spinoff book into a film. "I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of Fantastic Beasts, realized by another author was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it, and I already know a lot about Newt."

Electronic Arts published the videogames for each of the Harry Potter films. The press release does not clarify whether the games for Fantastic Beasts would be made by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/warner-bros-j-k-rowling-team-for-new-harry-potter-inspired-film-series/]

moggett88

May 2, 2013
I may be speaking out of my ass here, but this is how I see the sequence of events thus far...

J.K. Rowling makes Harry Potter franchise. Its hugely successful, but shes done with it, and moves on to other things.

She releases a book under the pseudonym Robert Galbrait, but its leaked that its actually her before release. The book doesnt do brilliantly, and she gets worried that shes lost the golden goose.

The group she released the franchise rights to have decided to use them. Rowling panics and jumps on board.

...Maybe cynical of me, but it seems like until her new book flopped, she wanted no part of anything Potter related in the future, but now shes on board with whatever as long as it pays.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Didn't Luna Lovegood end up marrying a descendant of Scamander? Just a random tidbit I thought I read somewhere.

I'll have to reserve judgment on the idea of the movie itself; the book was a fun little read, but I don't know how much of it would be adapted.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I'm actually worried about JK rowling. Not that much mind you as she's richer than most of us will ever be, but the fact that she will never be known for any of her other works besides the harry potter franchise. Maybe she would stand a better chance If she did depart from the series but wrote stories for her original audience who are now mostly adults. I know a lot of her audience are Jim Butcher fans. Still best of luck to her

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Oh well, the Textbook was a lot of fun, but I don't really can see it work as a movie.
But then again, I never imagined one could make a good movie about Battleship. Even though I was proven right about that, I am eager to see how they execute this.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
Didn't Luna Lovegood end up marrying a descendant of Scamander? Just a random tidbit I thought I read somewhere.

I'll have to reserve judgment on the idea of the movie itself; the book was a fun little read, but I don't know how much of it would be adapted.
Yes, I think it's Rufus Scamander, she mentioned that in an interview, they get married and have two children; Lorkham and Lysander.

Back on topic, I read this and seriously was so stunned that they are planning on turning the contents of a fictional textbook into a feature film I re-read the whole thing to make sure it wasn't a joke. I think I joked a few years ago that they would make this and 'quidditch through the ages' into feature films when they run out of regular books, looks like I'll be eating my hat now...

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I wish they would make a TV series based on that April Fools video IGN did a couple years back. That looked cool.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well that's a stupid idea. Why not also adapt Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding into a movie as well?

Seriously, Fantastic Beasts is a short little thing that has paragraph or so long descriptions on a few fantasy animals. How do yo look at that and think to yourself "Yeah, that'll make a great movie!"?

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
As Jo has built the world and characters up far more than we as readers have ever seen, I'm excited. She's quoted as being quite fond of Newt and knows his story well.

I'm sure the movie will be about how he got into cataloging all the beasts and how he goes about it, I picture it to be quite funny and probably more grown up as he's most likely going to be an adult for most of the movie.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ah yes, now that the corpse of the Potter films has finally cooled, it is time for the corporate sodomy to begin in earnest. Hope you had fun being a respected writer Rowling, because it's all down hill from here.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I actually like the idea of an expanded universe type thing with this. Maybe a book on the first few dark wizards or so, how they discovered dark magic, creation of horcruxes, etc etc. Could be some interesting shit there.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I got a copy of the book 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' a while ago, and it's an interesting read. I just wish they'd release another version that adds in creatures from books after Chamber of Secrets.
It could make for an interesting film.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I don't really see how that minibook being a film unless it's a origin to how Newt created that book meaning he set out and encounter those magical creatures that will be recorded into that book?

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Whelp.
As long as the movies will be good, I don't mind it being a cash-cow.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Why can't they just give us an MMO in the Harry Potter universe already?! PLEASE?!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
moggett88 said:
She releases a book under the pseudonym Robert Galbrait, but its leaked that its actually her before release. The book doesnt do brilliantly, and she gets worried that shes lost the golden goose.
What aboot The Casual Vacancy? Did that do bad?

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Oh I'd love a documentary in the style of Animals Are Beautiful People [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animals_Are_Beautiful_People]

Here's an excerpt of that masterpiece