Has a fanbase ever turned you off of watching something?

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
Pretty straight forward. What fanbases have turned you away from experiencing the great glory that the series apparently is supposed to be.
For me it has to be Doctor Who. Normally I might get into it and watch a couple of episodes occasionally, but I just can't get into it because it's EVERYWHERE! I have three friends who are constantly talking about at school and then I go online to find my other friends talking about, I go to a con and see a bajillion different Doctor cosplays, I go watch videos online and they reference it, It's so popular that's polluting other fandoms too. Super WhoLock exists, Doctor Whooves, There's a bunch of crossovers with Harry Potter too apparently, and not only that but half the time people are just referencing and talking about the tenth doctor! Get a new doctor to obsess over people! The seventh got a question cane and those are cool why not talk about him. They're adding a 12th doctor to the pile. Talk about him! Just please! talk about something else!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well the MLP crowd isn't very good at bringing in new people, I'll tell you that much. I'm mostly repelled by the memetic craze that seems to drive that show.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Breaking Bad, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. I hear about those enough as it is, to the point at which it can occasionally become mildly annoying. If I followed the series frequently when a large number of others were, I'd be hearing about them all too often. I'd rather get to them much further down the line, in small groups of episodes.

Apart from those examples, pretty much any piece of media that's experienced an explosion in popularity. I never got that cartoon craze a few years ago with things like Adventure Time, My Little Pony and so many others being enjoyed by adults. I suppose animation quality has really come a long way, or maybe there are more complex adult themes going on that they can appreciate.

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well the MLP crowd isn't very good at bringing in new people, I'll tell you that much. I'm mostly repelled by the memetic craze that seems to drive that show.
Yeah, even being a brony I can see why it's hard to get into with the fanbase. Especially since weirdly the fanbase probably has the highest production of grimdark fanfics of any fandom.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Game of thrones fandom was simply too much. My expectations were too high, I tried 2 episodes and it took my half a year to get back into it, and I only did because a friend asically forced me. Glad I did now though.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Barbas said:
Breaking Bad, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. I hear about those enough as it is, to the point at which it can occasionally become mildly annoying.
Actually all I hear about Walking Dead fans is how much the characters are idiots.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Barbas said:
Breaking Bad, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. I hear about those enough as it is, to the point at which it can occasionally become mildly annoying.
Actually all I hear about Walking Dead fans is how much the characters are idiots.
Now you mention it, that's one of the ones I hear the least about now. Most of the buzz seems to have died out. If it's not the characters, the complaint is usually about repetition.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Supernatural. I watched the first three seasons, thought it was fun..and then I met the fanbase. Nothing about Cas/Dean (I like that actually) just how crazy the fanbase can be. Turned me off instantly.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I don't like any fanbases, but they'll never be able to turn me off a good thing.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
I greatly enjoyed simple lighthearted shows like Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, but the really loud and obnoxious fanbase of MLP:FiM ruined any interest of checking out that show. I respect the people behind the show and might check it out years from now when the annoying fanbase moves on to their next LOL MEMES show.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Barbas said:
So in other words the series is very realistic if you forget about the zombies.
Btw I read only the comics, so I don't know how the characters changed in the TV series.

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
I'm sure they're lovely to people who like them, but at this point you'd have to break my legs and threaten my dog at gunpoint to make me watch Supernatural or Doctor Who.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Bronies, for sure. Most (and I'm not saying all) act like they're some special snowflake for liking a show about ponies. Sorry guys, you're not special.

Caine Master

Jul 16, 2011
Game of Thrones, people have hyped this show way to much. It took me till season three to finally watch it, and then I only watched the first season. It took awhile longer to finish the rest of the episodes. I enjoy the show, it has good acting and production, but I don't understand why people get so worked up about it.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Never. And I think it's dumb if something like that can actually turn you off.

I don't like 90% of the brony phenomenon (some of the art and fanmade music is cool, though). Hell, even the title "brony" is pretty dumb. But I enjoy watching the show; it has absolutely nothing to do with the fandom.

That cannot and should not have an affect on my opinion of the show.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Same here. I had two people online who are fans of the show, a show about friendship, being nice to people, and accepting people for who they are.

When I casually commented that I wasn't a fan of the show, and I didn't say it in a bad way mind you, I just simply said "I'm not a fan of the show :)" I even included the smiley.

One responds with "Well you just fucking suck then"

The other said "If you don't like that show, then you have no soul or concept of joy" And they were being serious.

....gee, nice fucking way to take your favorite show's lessons to heart assholes. Yes, love and respect everyone, UNLESS THEY DONT LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE AND THEN ACT LIKE AN ASSHOLE AND SHUN THEM!! *facepalm*

So yeah, not really a fan of the show, or at least not of the fanbase. I've been watching some of it now with my two god daughters, and I admit, for a kid's show it can be pretty amusing at times, but I'm not going to start watching it on my own time or anything.

Let's see, not a show, but the Robert Jordan- Wheel of Time fanbase when I was in my teens was insane. I've still never read the book series, because to hell with that noise.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Nope, not really. I manage to keep my expectations in check (most of the time) by taking mountains of salt with every recommendation for anything.

I usually go into material cautiously optimistic, and I've never been betrayed by the hype machine because I never do get hyped.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
My Little Pony, anything made by Gainax (especially Evangelion, which I also refuse to get into on a moral level because fuck Evangelion) and Orange Is The New Black. Seriously, it has such a terrible fanbase, it's terrifying.

Oh, and fighting games. The whole genre. No matter how many times somebody explains it to me, I have no idea what a lag cancel is and why I should care.

EDIT: It seems like quite a number of people are terrified to talk about Doctor Who with fans for they fear their British, tea-drinking welly-wearing Received Pronounciation wrath. That's rather disapointing, actually.