Has a fanbase ever turned you off of watching something?

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
The Portal fanbase...

If you say I ain't shit if I haven't finished Portal 1 then I'm most certainly not going to feel great about playing Portal 2.

Gameplay's what brings me back to a game, and I didn't find Portal's gameplay entertaining enough to hold my attention. Call me a heathen, but that'll make me start hating your game because I associate you with it.

And honest to god I tried.

I think Portal's one of those Valve titles that's a bit like Left 4 Dead. I love Left 4 Dead, it's a great game, but I feel people treat it as a lot more than it is.

The extrasensory parts of Portal, such as GlaDOS, the turrets and the little sphere things (Wheatley and Space core?), I understand, and I like. But Portal does not hold my attention as a game and that's what it is.

However, GlaDOS jabbing you in the sides every hand's end in Poker Night 2 is incredibly annoying. I find her voice charming, but rarely what she says. Maybe I'm too sensitive.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
A whole lotta anime...

Yeah, I know it's really general but holy... Seen WAY too many sad basement dwellers/kiddies in that fandom. Way too many.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Actually I find myself turning away from DeviantART due to fanbases. There's such a thing as too much fandom in one place.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I try not to lets stories about the worst elements of a particular fanbase influence my attitude towards anything; that being said, the attitude(s) of certain My Little Pony fans have made me very reluctant to give it a chance.

Nov 28, 2007
Friendship is magic! Now, I will look down at you or insult you for not liking what I like.

Ah, bronies...you so hypocritical. Yeah, it didn't stop me from watching and enjoying the show (at least, what I've seen of it so far), but my God, do the fans make me hesitate to claim I'm a fan of the show.

As far as flat-out not watching, the only show that comes to mind is Breaking Bad. If everyone was just saying it was a good show, and that I should give it a shot, I may have had a better mindset. Instead, I had people telling me I HAD to watch the show, should buy Netflix with my non-existent money in order to catch up on earlier seasons, and insulted the shows I did watch for not being as good as Breaking Bad.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Another in the "Like MLP, but parts of the fanbase creep me out" catagory. Especially shit like "Hoofbeats"(which I learned about from cracked) or "Cupcakes"(Which I will never read). It's reasons like that I will never consider myself a brony.

Though if I had to stop liking things because parts of the fanbase are crazy/creepy, I wouldn't be able to like anything.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Not really, in this day and age I can usually just ignore a fandom if I don't like it, while still enjoying the original work(s) it's built around. Though some fandoms have most likely made me decide to postpone checking out product X until the hype goes away. And sometimes fandoms might dim my enjoyment somewhat.

If anything it's more likely to be creators I find disgusting who turn me away from artistic works I would have otherwise enjoyed.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
TopazFusion said:
This thread has basically turned into a My Little Pony thread. What a surprise.

Am I allowed to put a video game here instead of a TV show? If so, my answer would be Dark Souls.

I'm really bad a video games. I still enjoy playing them, but I'm not very good at playing them. Which means I often have to resort to using the lower difficulty settings.
But for some reason, the Dark Souls fanbase seemed to think that anyone who needs an 'easy mode' isn't worthy of playing their game.

Such a friendly and welcoming fanbase, that one.
I suppose it would depend on what fan you ask. Personally, I am in favor of keeping the difficulty as is. I wouldn't mind there being an easy mode, I just don't see the need for one. The difficulty of the game is part of the aesthetic, you remove that, and it takes a piece of what makes Dark Souls well, Dark Souls. I don't see many posts about telling people not to play the game if you are "bad", but rather that you should try and work at your skill with the game to get better(not the passive aggressive "git gud" stuff, which I guess is a similar sentiment, but reeks of a false sense of superiority). Frankly, it just has a relatively large learning curve, mostly thanks to a very piss-poor tutorial; I figure once you get past that though, it becomes much, much easier.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Queen Michael said:
I don't like any fanbases, but they'll never be able to turn me off a good thing.
I take that too heart too. There is but one exception: BBC's Sherlock.

Why? Because the crazy fanbase has infiltrated the show and it rubbed off big time.

The first two seasons were decent enough, but by the third season Moffat basically took suggestions of Tumblr and stuck them in the show. The result was ninety minutes of masturbating to Sherlock's awesomeness and shouting "Look at all the cool stuff he does! Look at how he's such a dick isn't it edgy and cool?! Look at everyone love him anyway just like you guys do, isn't it awesome! Look at his aaaawesome mind powers! LOOK AT IT!!!"

Yeah, no thank you, I'll be staying far away from that.