Has a game ever scared you to the point that you couldn't play?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Or, at least for a while.

Me? I've played silent hill 2 for hours. A feat not only due to it being scary, but emotionally traumatic. I've survived my fair share of resident evil games. I've even managed with project zero.

What did it? Well, aside from resi 1's guardhouse when I was twelve...minecraft. When I'm now twenty one. Bloody arachnophobia...

See, I bought minecraft on the xbox, and I did well, for a while. I had to face a fair few bugs from the very start, my first night being a baptism of bugs of sorts. I made a bow, and rarely got within a meter of the things if I could help it. I even started to become rather fond of the little blocky fellas, desparately scrabbling up and down walls they could never hope to get over. I almost became comfortable with their prescence.

Then I started a new, fully single player game. I enjoyed having other people in my world, but I wanted to have full control over a world as well. And for ages...the buggers didn't come. My fort built between (and into) two mountains came along fantastically with barely even the sound of 'em.

Then, one morning. Three of them. Right outside the front door, in the way of where I needed to go. I needed string. I needed to get out without it becoming a major problem in a few nights time. But I couldn't do it. I have a diamond sword that'd probably slice em up in one swing, but I just can't manage it.

So here I sit, desperately wanting to play minecraft, but searching youtube for the appropriate music and searching my fridge for the appropriate booze to once again face my blocky fears.

Why do I find them so scary? Maybe it's the frantic legs. Maybe it's the essential shape of a spider that I recognise as a symbol of evil. It's probably that accursed noise...

So. Are yours as embarassing as mine?

Captcha: Run the gauntlet. That's it, the new captcha system is sentient. People been sayin' it for ages, now I'm calling it. Question is, do we call it t-1000 or number 6?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I know it's brought up often, but...Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The Demo nearly gave me a panic attack. The atmosphere of the game was just perfect to illicit such a response from me that, when I went into the basement and first caught a glimpse of the monster, I started running, then all the lights went out, and I had to shut it off.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, well.
Dead Space.
Dude needs explosives. 2 parts. one in the laboratory or something. k np.
2nd part is in the morgue.
And I was like.
No thanks.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
BLAHwhatever said:
Yeah, well.
Dead Space.
Dude needs explosives. 2 parts. one in the laboratory or something. k np.
2nd part is in the morgue.
And I was like.
No thanks.
"You want me to go to the morgue? In an outbreak of things that spawn from dead bodies?"

As much as people take the p*** out of dead space for it being watered down modern horror, it still does have it's moments.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
wintercoat said:
I know it's brought up often, but...Amnesia: The Dark Descent. The Demo nearly gave me a panic attack. The atmosphere of the game was just perfect to illicit such a response from me that, when I went into the basement and first caught a glimpse of the monster, I started running, then all the lights went out, and I had to shut it off.
I probably would have gotten to a point where I wanted to stop (at least to catch a break), but luckily my girlfriend (who was watching) got scared enough to ask me to stop first. Thus, my strategy for appearing brave remains the same: keep people who are slightly less brave around. :p

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
First time I ran through this section of the game I was so panicked that I couldn't operate my controller well enough to do save my ass.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
In Shadow of the Colossus, I was following my light beam to the next baddie, when I came over a ridge and saw it was pointing at a lake.
"Oh, no," I thought, "Don't do this, game."
I moved forward and saw that I was, indeed, being directed to the middle of the lake.
So I stopped playing.
See, at the time, I had a crippling fear of giant sea monsters. Something about being in the water, unable to even access air and with every angle being an exposed point, while a giant, barely visible creature closes in on me just freaked me the fuck out. Still does, but I have somewhat better control over it. The fact that I'm a piss-poor swimmer (though I do know how) doesn't help things.
So, on the sneaking suspicion that the game would make me fight a sea-serpent or something of that nature, I abandoned an otherwise amazing game. Still haven't gotten back into it.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Well, I'm kind of the biggest wimp ever. The smallest things will discourage me from playing the game...like Killer Croc in Arkham Asylum or the giant shark. For some reason I fear just about everything that swims and wants to cause an instant game over in every game I play.

So if it's already this bad with a non-horror game where you play as the most badass superhero in existence, you can probably imagine how I felt playing a game like Dead Space 2, where even though most of the horror is considered by most to be jump scares and not real horror, I was shivering.

God forbid I ever get the chance to play Amnesia. I'll probably die.

KnightyKnight

Jun 2, 2012
I'm still slowly working my way through Condemned. The very first time I picked it up, I literally had to turn the game off after the first enemy jumped out. Silent Hill? No problems. Resident Evil? Same story. Project Zero/Fatal Frame? Managed more or less. But Condemned? Nuh uh.. That one terrifies me.

If memory serves I'm up to the part in the shopping mall/department store, with the mannequins.

One day, one day I'll complete it...

Just not sometime in the foreseeable future.

And after that day I'll probably play nothing but ilomilo for a week.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
years ago i couldn't play doom or any game like it. horror games or stuff with horror elements gave me the creeps now i just don't like some of them

Jan 13, 2012
When you have to fight Chernabog in KH1. I was truely scared of that boss. Though, I was 8 at the time. Also the section in Ocarina of Time where it's ten years later (or something) and the castle place thingo is infested with zombies. But again, I was 8.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Only Doom III. I was 13 years old or something when I first bought it, and had just recently stumbled across the FPS genre. Didn't know what to expect from the game, but fuck did I get scared when the professor turned into a zombie in front of me.
After that I played for about 15 minutes at a time before I had to turn it off. Eventually I just quit playing all togeather.

Started it up again after five years, but the memories got the better of me. Still couldn't play for long periods of time and every time a zombie appeared I got scared. I guess the extremely impressive graphics(considering it's age) was a key factor to my fears. Before Doom III I had pretty much only played cutsey platformer games to PS/PS2 and a bit of Counter-Strike.

It's almost been five years again, so I'm considering to buy the re-release that's coming for PS3(iirc). The trophies will push me to completion!

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
piinyouri said:
First time I ran through this section of the game I was so panicked that I couldn't operate my controller well enough to do save my ass.

Heey, I've played that game and remember that part. Had completely forgotten about it. It was exciting and well scripted.

I generally dislike horror movies/games and so on. Scary things can be implemented and they might improve the whole, but I lose interest if something is scary just for the sake of being scary; horror movies.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I tried to get through Doom 3 properly once. Properly meaning headset on, at a time past midnight and with no lights on. All I remember is that pounding door, throwing the headset off, mashing the lamp switch and looking around the room.

Ronmartin

Jun 1, 2011
When I was young and more of a wuss, this happened to me in [i/] Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire [/i] (N64). Specifically, the Boba Fett level. After like fifty tries, I finally managed to beat him up (I wasn't that great at games back then, either), only for him to get in his ship and face me again. His ship, the Slave 1, looked like a giant evil floating elephant head, and I had to fight it with conventional weaponry. Five minutes into my first encounter with it, I had to pause and put down the controller because of just how hard my heart was pounding. Damn thing was hard to kill, okay?

Actually, looking back, the thought of trying to shoot down the Slave 1 with a rocket launcher and a jetpack sounds much more cool than scary.

More recently, I had a moment like this in [i/]Silent Hill 2[/i], which I just finished a few months ago. There's a point where the game lets you open a door, on the other side of which is pure, dead silence, and like three feet of visibility. You listening? Dude turns toward the camera and screams at something = not scary. Dude dropped without warning into silence and uncertainty = scary. I went back inside immediately, to the comparative comfort of groaning zombies. Took me a while to build up the courage to go back out there.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
When I first played Penumbra, I thought that it could not be THAT frightening, knowing games like FEAR or Resident Evil.

After I barricaded the door on the upper level of the old mine, and heard the dogs outside, I took a break until morning.

Then I went on, expecting everything. Then the worms came...

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
There's a reason we don't go to Ravenholm...

Seriously, headcrab zombies scared the life out of me. I still haven't finished Half Life 2 because of the sewers when you return to City 17 at the end -.-

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Amnesia. Seriously, fuck that game.

I got to the part after you fall down the elevator, walked up a small set of stairs, BamMonsterInYourFaceHolyFuckingShitRun!