Has a movie ever uncovered a fear you didn't know you had?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Thanks It for making me realize how creepy clowns are.
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Alien made me realise that I was terrified of being face-raped by large arachnids.
I realized that after biking through a large spiders web which, as close as it gets anyway, actually got me 'face-raped by a large arachnid.' Looked even bigger as it was stuck on my glasses.

Oh boy did I scream.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
Saw made me realize my fear of gore/torture.

Supernatural (the TV show) made me realize it's possible for a show to trigger my (rather severe) phobia of water/drowning.

Outside of that.. Nothing has really created a new fear, but then again there aren't many films that actually scare me nowadays.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
When I was much younger, a movie called "Fire in the Sky" (I think that's the name), based on "true events", about this man who disappears only to be found naked in a bathroom one day claiming that he was abducted by aliens, the horror is that, while he's being taken to the hospital he remembers what happened inside the ship, the experiments and stuff. It's a fairly fast sequence but it disturbed the fuck out of me, my only alien contact so far had been with the Alien franchise and E.T. lol Yeah then Fire in the Sky showed up to tell me "by the way, you're afraid of aliens and don't know yet".

After that, for quite a while, I couldn't see anything with aliens that look like a "grey" (sci-fi aliens never became a problem)... It was my curiosity to check what the X-Files fuss was all about (even though it's sci-fi, the aliens were grey-like enough to get me shitting my pants) that I ended forcing myself into facing the greys, so to speak. I ended up becoming a huge fan of the X-Files (saw the whole show and movies tons of times, and made my girlfriend in to an X-Files junkie lol), and nowadays I'm ridiculously drawn to alien stuff (gibberish or not).

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Clowns!!!!

Seriously, I never had any fear of clowns when I was a kid, then when I was about six I saw "Killer Klowns from Outer Space". Insanely cheesy by today's standards but holy crap that movie scared the crap out of me as a kid. I mean seriously, do a Google images search for the movies title, those clowns are pants-crapping scary for a kid.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
bigfatcarp93 said:
MissMetallicar said:
No, TV shows are good too. Midnight is actually my favorite episode of DW.
Midnight was EVERYONE's favorite episode. :p
Nope, I HATE Midnight. Not because I think it was bad, in fact I think it's pretty good, it just makes me incredibly depressed. /Special snowflake

OT: Can't think of any film/TV-show/game that's done that. All my phobias/fears have been created and/or realised in real-life situations. Or in dreams. Awful, awful dreams. o_e

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Not due to watching any movies or shows, but i recently discovered that my major aversion to dots is actually a thing (someone else I know has it too).

The other one I've always had, but couldn't really define it properly. It's not a fear of water, but the way things LOOK underwater. Manmade things are the worst, and depths/distances. Like, even looking at a pool underwater, especially the deep end, makes me lose it.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Disney instilled a fear of the Evil Eye. Go back over a lot of the classics - 101 Dalmatians, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast - and you'll find at least one close-up shot of the villain either being crazy, menacing, or about to die (respectively). The company may say they're all about happy-love-wishes, but they also know how to be terrifyingly intense.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Two words: Paranormal Activity.

I didn't sleep for three weeks after watching that damn movie.

And it's not even all that scary, but it really fucked up my perception of what happens while we sleep. I never even considered the possibility that something could happen to me while I was out. Sure, stuff happened but I'd wake up and then notice that it was going on or find out the next morning, but when I'm asleep, I'm alright.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
I'm not sure if it qualifies as a new fear, but I felt Gravity was a stark reminder of just how insignificant and fragile we are compared to the cold, infinite void of the cosmos. You don't have to populate the stars with slavering aliens or incomprehensible squid-faced elder gods to make space terrifying, it does that well enough on its own.
Not to mention that, for all the liberties it took with science, the chances of survivability is the biggest one. Each of the events on the movie has a chance of success of 0.0001 %, which puts the plot of the movie in the 1 in a billion's billion chances of ending well...

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
MissMetallicar said:
Unbeknownst to me I have a gigantic problem with body horror
Same here. I discovered this when I was exposed to the Borg via Star Trek: First Contact when I was about 7. Had nightmares for years, no exaggeration. I'd never had a problem with "scary" stuff and I loved Star Trek, so my poor parents felt awful as they'd been as unaware of this latent fear as I was. It can ruin films that aren't even horror movies for me - I've never been able to finish District 9 for example.

Kinda related, I guess, but that scene in Looper completely took me by surprise and made me feel sick to my stomach. I still feel really uncomfortable even just remembering it. Good film, but I won't be watching it again. Ever.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Gravity had a few. Oxygen deprivation in a claustrophobic space station, where instructions are only written in Russian, alone, where temperatures are below freezing the entire time.

Freezing to death mostly. Watching Sandra Bullock give her monologue while frost formed on the window and she held her hands up stiffly.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Milanezi said:
When I was much younger, a movie called "Fire in the Sky"...
Fuck. That. Noise. I saw that movie accidentally when I was about 5 or 6, and on top of my hyperactive imagination, it ruined me for years on aliens. Space never seemed like a place I wanted to visit ever. Oddly enough, I saw E.T. and found that quite heartwarming, but I think that was due to E.T.'s eyes, silly noises and inability to trap screaming men in full bodied condom suits. My heart's racing thinking about those images again. Dammit.

OT: Any movies, any that have to deal with babies (normal or otherwise) scares the ever loving hell out of me, and this goes for movies involving childbirth. Something about developing babies from two particular biological functions that are so small they can eventually spawn people scares me. This also applies to films where childbirth happens. Because of this, there is a horror film about evil aliens (Coming full circle now) called XTRO that has a scene
Where a woman gives birth to a full bodied man, which is basically like a fucked-up version of Benjamin Button
I have heard about the scene, watched the trailer, and viewed a review by Siskel and Ebert that views the movie as a nihilistic horror movie. I'll all for scary movies, but I'm too afraid to watch it.

My fear of Childbirth also applies to the Alien movies, but those movies are wonderfully made, and I'm now done with all the Aliens talk this week from me.

I'm afraid of babies in real life, as well as biological functions like that. When I watched educational videos in High School, I'd almost pass out due to the talk of it. That's not to say I don't like blood. I put up with that well enough, just the small parts make me dizzy. That something can course through your veins that's so small, you need a microscope to see it makes me feel sick. If a movie discusses stuff like that, I get made uneasy.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Doctor Who gave me a fear of Mannequins, obviously. I literally flinch everytime I pass by them and always lock eyes. I fricking hate them.

But being honest, it's the fear of the dark. Alot of horror movies gave it to me, all because I was dragged to see them when I was a tween and it wasn't fun.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I've always known I hated being smothered and confined, but movies that have people moving through very tight spaces (especially the spelunking type) - just bring it aaaaaaall back. I think one of the worst ones was, The Descent. I haven't seen it in a while, but I can remember a couple ladies squeezing their body through tight crevices and I think one became trapped- ugh,...UGH!

*This includes scenes of people buried alive. [screaming internally]

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
No, but I realized I never saw brutal until I saw a certain scene in Pawn Shop Chronicles. Teeth. Hammer. Wow. That was actually disturbing, and I don't get disturbed by violence like that easily.

lordofpowies

Jul 20, 2013
Ever seen Watership Down? FUCK. THAT.
I will forever be unnerved by rabbits for the rest of my life because of that fucking movie.
They showed it at my daycare when I was really young, and I still haven't forgotten that one scene.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Went to Disneyland when i was about 5 and i dont think ive ever been in a cinema before that point which is because me and my folks were watching Captain E-O in 3D ...yes, instinctively before the movie starring Micheal Jackson started, I as a little boy jumped for cover behind the seats.

Actually it was the way the entire theater was just immediately went pitch black. Low light or nighttime doesnt bother me, but pitch black voids give me the hibbidy jibbidies.

Also in a weird reverse kinda scenario for years I would dream that i was on a seaport, then suddenly a giant tidal wave crept towards the shoreline then this big indescribable monster thing breached out of the water and came towards me as it blanketed out the sky ...then in 2003 i realized i had been precogging a scene from FFX where Sin destroys a seaport after the intro areas in the game

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Not a movie, but WoW really freaked me out with those gigantic whales in the undersea area
They are freakin' HUGE

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I am a logical man, and therefore, ghosts and spirits and things like that simply aren't something that I believe in. However, Sam Raimi's take on Juon: The Grudge (which was simply called The Grudge) terrified me and my friend/roommate. We saw it with a group of friends, one of whom was an Asian girl whom people looked at warily as we left the theater. We didn't sleep for nearly two days and even then we started sleeping in shifts, either of us freaking out when one woke the other up.

I still don't believe in ghosts and you'll never convince me that they're real... but that movie still scared the hell out of me. I have no idea why; it was cheaply made and you could see the lady hiding in the shadows off camera ready to wonder on screen. But... yeah. I had no idea I could be so terrified of something like that.