Has anyone actually managed to get a next-gen console?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
With the next-gen consoles just about to release, who has actually managed to get one?

It seems that there is still a little Xbox stock, if you know where to look, but PS5 stock is just gone.

Personally, I have no interest or need for an Xbox Series X/S, because I have a perfectly capable gaming PC, and all Xbox exclusives are coming to PC, anyway.

Im definitely interested in getting a PS5, but so far, I have been completely luckless at finding either of the versions in stock.

So, is anyone actively looking for a next-gen console, and has anyone been lucky enough to get one?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I wasn't planning to get one anytime soon. Next year holiday season, at the earliest. Maybe.

But if I did, the answer would probably be a no. No stock at any of the major retailers. Except Series S. Still plenty available.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Nope. But I am heartened to hear that external SSD will show substantial improvements of Gen 8 games run on Gen 9, even if not optimized. I will likely get the Xbox Series X next Spring.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Yeah, I got one. Just received confirmaton email that my order has been processed for delivery. Apparently they already received the PS5's in stock but I still need to wait for the 'official' launch day next thursday. A week later than the U.S. release for whatever reason. *sigh*

To be honest I couldn't care less if it weren't for the DeS remake. I really I want to play that game. xD But being able to play Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro at 60fps is also really nice. Bummed that Bloodborne didn't receive a similar upgrade. But the gameplay is probably tied to the framerate here.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My buddy back home in Ohio called me last night from the curb of his local Game Stop where he was preparing to camp out for 14 hours to get one of the four Xbox Series X that location had available. Just sent me a picture of his, so mission accomplished? Says he's sore, tired and needed to poop since midnight, fucking idiot.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I been partly lucky enough to come into some money of late, but one look at the state of the situation just puts me off the whole thing. You're never going to get the best deal trying to be one of the first. It'll be higher cost for less polished product at the very least. Good time for scalpers though. Those ebay listings are plain depressing too.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Another forum shows a ton of people with the Xbox Series X and one with an S. I'm jealous as all heck.

I thought PS5s not yet, but then again, I could swear I saw someone play new Spiderman.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You're never going to get the best deal trying to be one of the first. It'll be higher cost for less polished product at the very least.
Exactly this. Early adopters think they're winning out when they're effectively just guinea pigs. After a couple hundred of this first run's units catch fire or cause cancer, they'll be back at the drawing board with a slimmer, nonlethal and cheaper finished product.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Nope, but I've not tried, I honestly don't understand the need to rush out and buy a new console on release day. In a couple of years I'll probably get one when its cheaper and has a shedload of games that I want to play.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I have not, no and I have no intentions for a very long time. I'm one of those guys who openly boycotts the new gen consoles the first 2-3 years because I feel the entire marketing scheme is deeply untrustworthy and the first few years are just trying to live up to the launch-day hype.
Fuck I've only had my Ps4 a few years and only then because it was a gift - I sure as shit wouldn't buy on for myself. And before that my Xbox360 was a hand-me-down. I'm usually 3-4 years behind the current game trends and I think that's the healthier way to do it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No. I don't plan on getting up PS5 till 1.5 or 2 years later. A lot of games I want don't come out till 2021 or 2022 anyway.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yeah I'm in the waiting camp too. I've been burned by first run consoles before (¬_¬ Xbox 360) so I'd rather get a better deal for a better console later on. My collection of PS4 games is growing, though, so I hope we don't get another case of "only the first run are backwards compatible".