Has anyone else played Alice: Madness returns?

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
Well as the title suggests. have you played it and what are your thoughts?

after playing for 6 or more hours I have come to the conclusion that this is one of the best games I have played this year.I had high expectations for this game and even then it still astounded me. the game play is fun and challenging, the scenery is beautiful, the story is interesting and the game is LONG! I love that, finally a game I cant beat in less than 24 hours. plus the download of the first Alice game!

Some people had complaints about the graphics being not so great, but I think the game is beautiful. I do have one complaint and that would be saving.... I mean it auto saves and maybe I just havent figured it out yet but I cant manually save which is kind of annoying I dont like relying on checkpoints all the time. Manually saving would be very helpful on nightmare difficulty.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I just ordered it off PlayAsia and I'm getting it express shipped by FedEx. I hope to have it by the end of the week.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Honestly, I didn't even know it was out already lol Nice to hear it's giving a good first impression and I was quite intrigued by the pre release trailers.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
To those that haven't got it yet. I only got it for $60 instead of the usual $80 and Its pretty much two long as games in one. I highly recommend it.
StriderShinryu said:
Honestly, I didn't even know it was out already lol Nice to hear it's giving a good first impression and I was quite intrigued by the pre release trailers.
Alice has been overshadowed by duke so thats why no one has really noticed.

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
For me, it has completely run the gamut of having put it on my GameFly months ago, forgotten about it, and randomly have it skip ahead of seven other titles to ship a day BEFORE it was scheduled to release. Being a big fan of the Alice mythos (the actual one, that is) and having been completely terrified as a child watching my father play the original American McGee's Alice, I am cautiously intrigued by the prospect of its pending arrival.

The one bit of guilt I could possibly have is that I haven't played said original Alice game. Seeing how the copy my father originally had is now of uncertain playability status, I am curious as to whether the original is available as a standalone download or solely unlocked through a full purchase of the sequel (again, renting it for now).

What's more, does anyone recall what their approximate playthrough time was of the original? With GameFly and the postal service hereabouts being as they are, if it's short enough I might have enough time to beat the original before the new one ever arrives.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
James B Hamster said:
What's more, does anyone recall what their approximate playthrough time was of the original? With GameFly and the postal service hereabouts being as they are, if it's short enough I might have enough time to beat the original before the new one ever arrives.
From what I remember if you spend a few solid days playing it you can beat it. also if you go on easy things should go much faster.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
linkvegeta said:
To those that haven't got it yet. I only got it for $60 instead of the usual $80 and Its pretty much two long as games in one. I highly recommend it.
StriderShinryu said:
Alice has been overshadowed by duke so thats why no one has really noticed.
Yeah, I knew it was coming out sometime around this time but between E3 and then Duke it really did sort of get lost in the shuffle. Too bad really, but hopefully once reviews start rolling out, it will get some attention. By the sounds of it, it's far more worthy of it than Duke is.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
I am playing i right now actually, and posting from Origins in-game web browser!

I'm about three hours in now, and I have to say it strongly reminds me of when I first played Prince of Persia (the last gen one). There is a unique artistry to it, surrounded by satisfying gameplay that while good, I can certainly feel there is room for great improvements for the next game. So far the puzzles have been rather straight forward and the combat not verycomplex, yet its still very satisfying. I am of course playing on the PC version, and while the graphics might not be the best the AESTHETICS (thank you extra credits) of it are second to none. Also the inclusion of the original game (which is very pricey to obtain these days) is appreciated for those of us who couldn't get our hands on it.

I don't know how well the game can keep this up, but so far I am impressed.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Bought it today, but Uncles don't have an xbox. I'm going to start it tomorrow and downloading the first one right after.

I'm excited.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've heard some reviews say it reminds them of the older 3D platformers (like of the N64 days). That makes my mouth water. I miss those days incredibly. My preorder of it cannot arrive soon enough.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Speaking of Alice. Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the original? I really want to try it out.

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the post about it being included.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
MisterShine said:
I am playing i right now actually, and posting from Origins in-game web browser!

I'm about three hours in now, and I have to say it strongly reminds me of when I first played Prince of Persia (the last gen one). There is a unique artistry to it, surrounded by satisfying gameplay that while good, I can certainly feel there is room for great improvements for the next game. So far the puzzles have been rather straight forward and the combat not verycomplex, yet its still very satisfying. I am of course playing on the PC version, and while the graphics might not be the best the AESTHETICS (thank you extra credits) of it are second to none. Also the inclusion of the original game (which is very pricey to obtain these days) is appreciated for those of us who couldn't get our hands on it.

Quick question is the original included on the disk or do they give you a code and you have to download it. And is this only the PC version or do consoles get is well?

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
CD-R said:
MisterShine said:

Quick question is the original included on the disk or do they give you a code and you have to download it. And is this only the PC version or do consoles get is well?
They give you a code to download it. But you have to have the alice madness returns disk in to play it though.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
My copy won't be here until either Saturday or next Tuesday.

Anyone with the PC game disc: Did the game forcibly install Origin to your computer?

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
CD-R said:
New console versions get a free code to download the first game, for the PC version I can confirm for the digital download version, the game is included in the download for Madness Returns. I'm uncertain what the boxed version comes with though.