Has Average Post Count Gone Up?

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Back when I browsed the forums starting in 2008 it seemed like everyone had way less posts.
For example: someone who had been on the site for a year would probably have less than 1000 posts. I would be a little surprised when I saw over 2000 and if it was over 5000 I was like "wow thats a high post count" but now it seems like people with less than 1 yr will have over 5000 almost all the time, I've also noticed tons of stupid posts with just pictures of memes.
Do you think theres a connection?

And have you noticed this?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I believe the main reason for this is the inclusion of posts in User Groups and the large participation in the Forum Games section, making it really easy to gain thousands of posts in a short space of time.

I'd wager that at least half of my 20,000+ posts are in User Groups.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Well everyone's different and has different posting habits. The Escapist's gotten a lot of new members since 2008 (including me) and that brings a variety of different posts, whether they be pointless or meaningful. It feels a little strange to see people who joined after me with 5000+ posts, I guess.

Honestly, I think the increased average of posts per user can mostly just be attributed to the time that has passed between 2008 and now. There's still plenty of people around who don't post much at all though.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
At least over 3000 of my posts can be attributed to RP and User Groups. As for the other...about 1800 or so according to my profile...well, I have no life to speak of! :D Maybe accumulating more users simply means you'll gather a higher percentage of users with more time on their hands. I'd imagine there would have been a hell of a lot less threads circling around the Escapist back in 2008/09 or whatever, so there was simply less to post about. Less people means less activity I would posit. Also, there's probably quite a fair amount of people with high post counts and/or have been here since the so called golden age who most likely just stick with there favoured User Groups and not venture much into the main forums.

- Omni ^_^

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'd say its because with the changes to the warning probation suspension system that it is weeding out people, leaving the long runners to rack up more posts. Those who are new and don't follow the rules die young, while those who follow them become more prolific posters.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Mine is increasing now with the increased amount of time I spend playing forum games.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
lRookiel said:
Mine is increasing now with the increased amount of time I spend playing forum games.
Yeeees. Come into our fold. o.o We have more cookies in need of guarding.

And, as the TimeLord has already stated, the User Groups, RP and Forum Games contribute greatly to the post count of the user. And this is a very appropriate time to say that a persons worth is not judged by the number of posts. So, there. :3

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I'm guessing (like others have said) that it's mostly from User Groups and Forum Games. It's really easy to rack up the points in there

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Lionsfan said:
I'm guessing (like others have said) that it's mostly from User Groups and Forum Games. It's really easy to rack up the points in there
Off Topic, but your avatar. It pleases me!

OT: Well it definetly is getting higher, I think it may be because well as said above. User group posts count towards your post count. If the pony chat wasn't so slow I would have a much higher post count now I guess. But at the end of the day, to me post counts doesn't matter one bit. If a person has 20000 posts and is not a mod then I won't treat them any differently than someone who has got 500.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
If a person has 20000 posts and is not a mod then I won't treat them any differently than someone who has got 500.
Why would you treat mods differently?

OP: As someone who's been here for 2.5 years (minus lurking time) and only just passed the 2000 mark, I have no idea how some people do it. Even with user groups I can't keep up.

Ah well, no point posting for the sake of posting, I suppose.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
ToastiestZombie said:
If a person has 20000 posts and is not a mod then I won't treat them any differently than someone who has got 500.

OP: As someone who's been here for 2.5 years (minus lurking time) and only just passed the 2000 mark, I have no idea how some people do it. Even with user groups I can't keep up.

Ah well, no point posting for the sake of posting, I suppose.
I really don't know. I guess it's because I would like to be a bit more cautious around them, after 2 warnings I think you see why I want to. But still, I don't just suck up to them all the time. For an example I treated TimeLord exactly the same after he became a mod than before.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
ToastiestZombie said:
When a user has a shitty day and you call him out on being a dick for something they do, he can get annoyed, that's it.

When a mod has a shitty day and you call him out on being a dick for something they do, they can put another mark on your profile.

Mods are only human, i'm tentative around ones with some power :p

OP:

Probably has, although as other people said, probably due to forum games. I've never actually set foot in there, if I did i'd probably have a huge amount of posts.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
TimeLord said:
I believe the main reason for this is the inclusion of posts in User Groups and the large participation in the Forum Games section, making it really easy to gain thousands of posts in a short space of time.

I'd wager that at least half of my 20,000+ posts are in User Groups.
I'd wager at least two thirds of my 30,000+ posts are in Forum Games.

Also members are getting older, lasting longer before they self-destruct in the forums and as such the numbers rise.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I haven't really spent much time on the site compared to other people and in the first 6 months or so i didn't really make a lot of posts at all. I guess the fact that people have grown more accustomed to the site could contribute to higher number of posts 'cause i know it has for me.

And truth be told i have only made like 1 post in a user group and don't think i've ever taken part in any roleplaying forum so my post count of 1500+ is something i can thank my lack of social life for, i guess. Either that or i just have a lot of opinions which seems to be the case for a lot of the people who requent this site :p

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
I've noticed that, too.
I don't post very much, personally.

I'm not part of any user groups, either.
I doubt I'll ever reach even 1000 posts, but then, that doesn't bother me.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Because only those who completely and truely cared about this site remained, all the others left when the advertisement was multiplied by several thousand and the content makers were treated badly.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
RP, Forum Games, and User Groups.

With that said, this site probably has alot more members than it did "back in the good old days." More topics to post on or people to reply to would naturally mean that posting becomes more frequent. :eek:

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
I'm at 10,163 and 243 of them are from forum posts.
The power of user groups.