Has Pokemon jumped the shark?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
No.

I think I stopped playing sometime after Ruby. Playing XY, this is the console game I dreamed about playing as a little kid. I just wished it did more, did more cutscenes and had more of a story.

And no one's mentioned Rotation battles. I'm never going to be the guy that EVO trains, or whatever, but I loved playing rotation battles. They added a whole nother layer of strategy to fights.

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
All these new additions are just a gimmick to keep a franchise that should've bit the bullet by now going. The peak has long gone and it's now in the downward spiral phase.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
DanteLives said:
All these new additions are just a gimmick to keep a franchise that should've bit the bullet by now going. The peak has long gone and it's now in the downward spiral phase.
That must be a really long spiral then. It'll probably be almost a 5th of the way down by the time the 12th generation comes out.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I'm not sure how any of that would qualify as jumping the shark. They just added a few new ways to battle and added more strategy for a game that's based around battling and... strategy.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Not really, if anything the series has evolved over time. The inclusions of EV's and IV's, a more profound story, and different evolution types are signs of that. In my opinion (and this opinion may very well be "jumping the shark"), the mega evolutions in X and Y are an allegory of sorts for moving from 2D to 3D...so in a sense...the series Mega Evolved. A stretch I know but it's something that I like to think. Granted some of the Pokemon designs have been lackluster but I have only see growth from this series ever since I started with Yellow

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Spambot 3000 said:
Well the thing with horde battles is that they speed up the EV training process by about 5 times faster. So yeah, extremely useful.
Except that they introduced it in a game that has an EV-training minigame. So not as useful.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
Aurion said:
There is not enough "fuck off" in all the world to accurately describe what I think of this crown jewel of J-RPG (of all things!) pretension.
It's bait don't respond, he's just trying to get a rise out of people. Check his other posts if you don't believe me.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
JazzJack2 said:
Aurion said:
There is not enough "fuck off" in all the world to accurately describe what I think of this crown jewel of J-RPG (of all things!) pretension.
It's bait don't respond, he's just trying to get a rise out of people. Check his other posts if you don't believe me.
It's an older flame bait but it checks out.

OT. I dont think its jumped the shark so much as its nearing a brick wall. They still keep trying to stick to the classic formula but its only going to get them so far.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
FrostDragon said:
There was hardly a shark to jump. Pokemon was always a child's thing, a weak imitation of Eastern Japanese Roleplaying classics such as EarthBound and Chrono Trigger. I assumed that only children who couldn't appreciate the sophisticated games played Pokemon, but evidently this is not the case. Perhaps you would all benefit from enriching yourselves with experiences like Final Fantasy VI and Secret Of Mana, and see what a real jRPG is.
you're assuming people that play Pokemon don't play other jRPG's. I've played the hell out of FF VI, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, FF IX, FF VII, SMT, Persona, etc. and still on a yearly basis I buy the next Pokemon game.
The games are fun, a higher level of education and sophisticated systems don't make a game better, at the end of the day fun factor is all that matters, stop pretending you're so much more educated/better than all of us who enjoy Pokemon

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Spambot 3000 said:
Well the thing with horde battles is that they speed up the EV training process by about 5 times faster.
... which was made unnecessary with the training mode thing.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Loop Stricken said:
Spambot 3000 said:
Well the thing with horde battles is that they speed up the EV training process by about 5 times faster.
... which was made unnecessary with the training mode thing.
Super Training takes forever, and you can only train one pokemon at a time. You can get like 50-100EVs in one stat per horde battles, and EVs are spread with EXP share, unlike super training.

Super Training is the 'fun' way to EV train. Horde battles are the efficient/fast way

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
rosac said:
So, what are your thoughts? Is pokemon starting to get more and more gimmicky just to keep going, or is it a genuine progression.

Disclaimer: Everything posted above is my opinion. I am not stating it to be fact, just my thoughts.
Nope. Pokemon added a nice new mechanic that can changes up the formula.

Mega Evolutions don't just introduce new pokemon possibilities but also grant new strategies or even focuses for teams to work with.

Lets say I wanted to use Mega-Abomasnow for some reason, I now have a vastly improved version of Abomasnow but with Abomasnowite in place, I have a team to craft that centers around hail and slow speed. (As bad of a team as that is, it can be done effectively with good decision making.)

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
In order to have jumped the shark, the medium would have to start declining in quality from this point onward and its popularity would need to tank. So no, probably not.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Terminate421 said:
Lets say I wanted to use Mega-Abomasnow for some reason, I now have a vastly improved version of Abomasnow but with Abomasnowite in place, I have a team to craft that centers around hail and slow speed. (As bad of a team as that is, it can be done effectively with good decision making.)
Hail Room is legit in doubles bro.

rosac said:
Then X and Y introduced mega evolutions, which I can't really agree with.If powercreep is an issue, would it be such blasphemy to alter older pokemons stats?
They did that. A lot of old pokemon have had their Base Stat Total increased in this generation. Off the top of my head, Raichu got 10 more speed and Nidoking got 10 more attack. I know there were waaaay more who got buffed tho.

Some mega evolutions are pretty OP (Blaziken, seeing as many can't get Dreamworld Non-mega Blaziken) and some are actually seen as worse than the original (Garchomp).
I diagree. Some Megas function differently than their original forms, but none of them are 'worse'. Mega Garchomp's 98 Speed might be worse than his default form, but it's fast enough to out speed every defensive pokemon, and the massive buff to his offensive stats means that he is more unpredictable and more difficult to wall. Mega Tyranitar/Scizor are better at using stat boosting moves because of the added defenses/speed, Mega Gyarados sacrifices its good defensive typing to smash through his base form's would be counters thanks to Mold Breaker (Mold Breaker > Thick Fat, Water Absorb, Storm Drain, Unaware, Levitate, Multiscale, etc.).

The fact that some pokemon receiving megas don't have any evolutionary relatives, so could actually evolve normally also gets on my nerves.
To be fair, those pokemon's stats were on par with most fully evolved mons already (Heracross, Pinsir), so a full on evolution might be kind of nuts.

I dont think pokemon jumped the shark here. This just keeps old mons from becoming completely obscure by mixing up what theyre capable of.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
duwenbasden said:
I absolutely do not want Megaevolution. It seems like a desperate attempt to make existing characters look "cool". Charizard is cool, mega-Charizard looks like Grandparizard.

And I love the new Exp.Share, it means I have more than 1 team.
Mega-Evolutions are essentially just there to help nullify the amount of Power Creep that has happened over the past 6 generations. The easiest example is Charizard, he's a fan favorite Pokemon who everyone loves, but he is useless in competeitive battling due to his typing. Solution; Give him a Mega Evolution that makes him dragon type.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Has Pokemon "jumped the shark"? No, not really. See, Pokemon has remained fairly constant throughout its lifespan; which is why it remains so attractive to the younger audiences the games were originally aimed towards. Pokemon changes just enough with each new iteration to keep (many of) us old farts interested, but at its heart, Pokemon is the same game every time. That kind of consistency can't possibly "jump the shark". Mo matter what they're doing with evolutions, pre-evolutions, new items, etc., it's still the same game with a slightly different meta. Sure, it may change too much for some people's tastes (I liked a metagame where Alakazam was unbeatable!), and it certainly has come a long way since its inception, but ultimately, that's all it is.

...and I'm OK with that.