Has public opinion on Batman The Brave and The Bold changed also whats your thoughts on said series

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
When Brave and the bold came out people were crapping on it because it wasn't the dark Batman Tas however as time changed I hear that lots of people really enjoy the series in fact some people like it better than TAs.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I'd say any hate it got died down rather quickly and it still remains a well liked show.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I went from "What the heck is this shit" to "this is the best thing ever" by the time I hit the first Aquaman episode, honestly.

I mean, I grew up on TAS, but Brave and the Bold knocked me out of the last bit of my "everything must be dark and gritty and mature" attitude.

That and Bruce Timm has been working really hard to strip away the remnant nostalgia I had for TAS, I still like the show, but that fourth series has stared feeling...off.

EDIT: Also, a lot of people, mostly heroes, just straight up died. BatB really showed the difference between a serious aesthetic and a serious show.

Almost nobody died in TAS or Beyond. The grit was set dressing.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I don't think it has? I mean, I'm not super into the batman fandom or anything, but from my casual perspective it seems like, aside from some initial distrust of the franchise, it's always been regarded as a pretty unique and enjoyable send-up of the silver age, which contrasts well with the grimdark direction the character had been pushed toward prior.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Its not my favorite series ever but going back to some episode I was surprised how good the animation could get.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I liked it from the moment I started watching it, but then I was late to the party and only took the plunge after the show was already cancelled.

I think BatB was the victim of bad timing. It aired just a few years after the finale of Justice League Unlimited, which marked the end of the widely beloved DC Animated Universe. It was inevitable that any subsequent DC cartoons would be held to the same standards that the DCAU had set rather than being judged on their own merits. It also arrived hot on the heels of The Dark Knight's release in theaters, when the public was enamored by "gritty" and "realistic" depictions of superheroes. I'm convinced that, had BatB aired nowadays with the more lighthearted MCU still rocking the box office and DC's dreary attempts at aping its success (and, as much as I hate to admit it, the runaway success of Teen Titans: Go!), it would have fared far better.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I watched it for the first time about a year ago. I had just watched Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad and had come out feeling weary of the dark and gritty superhero. So dour. So drab, despite the latter movie's awful attempts at injecting a sense of fun. I wanted something different, something lighthearted.

Then a user on here recommended I watch Brave and the Bold (sorry, don't remember who). It was exactly what I craved: a campy romp that shamelessly paid tribute to the cheesier and sillier aspects of Silver Age comics. I've rarely seen a show that takes itself so seriously by refusing to take itself too seriously. Wonderful stuff.

altnameJag said:
I mean, I grew up on TAS, but Brave and the Bold knocked me out of the last bit of my "everything must be dark and gritty and mature" attitude.
I think the most poignant thing is that BatB is in some ways arguably more mature than most dark and gritty stuff.

Like you mentioned, there's the fact that people die in this series. Actually die. Not a 'maybe dead' or 'they'll be resurrected later', like superhero comics are wont to do. Death is final and it's treated with gravitas.

But my favorite moment comes at the very end of the series. We get to see all the characters one more time, alive or dead, and Bat-Mite and Batman talk about the cancellation of the show, about how it's the end, but it had a good run (a great one). That the next Batman show will probably go back to its dark roots and that's fine, because we'll always have BatB. A dignified and IMO genuinely mature way to wrap things up.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ah, good timing, there is this Scooby Doo crossover that I actually do want to see!

Personally, that show as underrated! I mean not EVERYTHING about Batman has to be dark and gritty and liked it or not (especialy toward a certain naysayer on here), Adam West Batman is still relevent to the Batman we got today! I mean without that show, whose knows if Batman had continue to be this popular?

Anyway, I enjoyed the lighter tone of that series. I mean if I did wanted the usual serious Batman, I would go and rewatch TAS.

I just liked it was showcasing the lesser knows heroes and villains that got me to look them up in a good way.

By all means, TAS is still my favourite Batman cartoon but TBaTB is second best in my top list!

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
It's the best thing with Batman in it since the 90s, honestly. It's also a perfect storm of Silver Age when you want to explain that era of comics to people.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I thought it was brilliant before it was cool.

Shame Cartoon Network decided to kill Justice League Action before it even started, it looked like a real successor to the series.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I love it, though I wish I'd watched more of it before it got taken off TV... Hindsight sucks.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Never watched B:TAS but I tried watching Brave and the Bold with my daughter. We gave up very quickly. Seemed to be an extension of Adam West Batman

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
The few bits I've seen I found really entertaining. It's not Batman TAS but it's not trying to be.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It was pretty good it knew when to be over-the-top silly and when to relax and have real dramatic moments, plus unlike certain modern comic book movies it wasn't afraid to kill heroes when the story called for it.

Also best Aquaman EVER.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
McMarbles said:
I thought it was brilliant before it was cool.

Shame Cartoon Network decided to kill Justice League Action before it even started, it looked like a real successor to the series.
Action is still going.
I liked it.
The musical episode brings me such joy.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I think the show is heretical and an attempt to bring him down to the campy levels of Adam West Batman in all its gaudiness.

Batman must forever remain the Dark Knight, the vigilante that strikes fear into the heart of the criminal underworld.

And I say this as a guy that is tired of the oversaturation of Batman.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I think the show is heretical and an attempt to bring him down to the campy levels of Adam West Batman in all its gaudiness.

Batman must forever remain the Dark Knight, the vigilante that strikes fear into the heart of the criminal underworld.

I'll let the show respond to that.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
McMarbles said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I'll let the show respond to that.

Is that...Stamper?
Just looked it up, its not him :(

@Samtendo

I don't think you have to worry about Batman losing his grimdark edge for as long as Zach Snider is managing the DCCU.