Has the MCU Eclipsed (or equalled) Star Wars?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

The above article kind of rekindled this idea in me. It's not the first time I've wondered this, but a stark realization hit me - Disney is going all in on these two IPs. Both of these IPs were originally film-centric, but now, more focus seems to be on TV outings.

When I say "eclipsed" or "equalled," I'm referring to the presence in the cultural zeitgeist. Probably don't have to explain how deeply seeped Star Wars is in said zeitgeist - you could go through life without ever seeing a Star Wars film and still see/hear it referenced, if only in parody. On the other hand, the MCU has some of the highest grossing films of all time, it's created a massive interconnected film series that no-one else has been able to, and has also become part of the zeitgeist to at least some extent. There's a reason why stuff like "Wakanda Forever," "I love you 1000," or "perfectly balanced" began to be thrown around after certain points in time.

This isn't really a discussion as to which is the 'better' franchise, but more the question of cultural relevance/dominance. People have said that there'd never be a franchise like Star Wars again, but I'm wondering if that's been proven wrong. I mean, I was introduced to Star Wars in the 90s as a kid, and I imagine that there's kids of the 2000s/2010s who'd be introduced to the MCU in the same way. Or, maybe it's a flash in the pan, and Star Wars will outlast it.

Don't really have a horse/bantha in this race either way, but running the idea by you.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Only Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back have a really solidified cultural relevance, and those are films that are very easy to expose new generations to. The real hype for Marvel movies comes from later entries, but those only make real sense in the context of the older stuff. Besides which, Star Wars was retro when it came out and is kind of timeless in that way. The Marvel movies are much more of their time, which may not be a style which is fashionable or is seen to suit those characters in future.

Reactions: gorfias

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, the MCU is as bad as the Star Wars prequels.

Less flippantly, can't tell except in hindsight. Come back in 20 years and see what has had staying power.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No, but it is still highly popular and nothing to scoff at nor undermine. I don't love every Marvel film, but I am not giving up altogether. I look forward to what Marvel, DC, and Sony pump out next. Bring on Wonder Woman '84, Spider-Verse 2, and Aquaman 2! While waiting for those kick it back with high quality, old-school style (no Bourne shaky cam and quick cuts), R-Rated action films on VOD or straight-to-DVD.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The movies are better, no doubt about that.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's possible that the MCU will never catch up, if only because Star Wars is still also pumping out content like never before. I think the better question is who will last longer?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
About half of Star Wars is bad and, with a much larger sample size, less than half of the MCU is bad. So yeah, it's better.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
The original Star Wars trilogy is a cultural monolith. In many ways, it was revolutionary, and was certainly unprecedented. It shaped entire generations of movie watchers. It made a bang, and you can still hear the ringing in the ears.

Some extremely safe, serviceable action flicks aren't gonna do shit. Endgame made a big bang, but as already can be seen it's fizzled out and the collective memory has moved on. So no, not even close.

And I say this as someone that doesn't even like Star Wars.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The MCU is this generation's Star Wars, but I don't really know if it has actually surpasses Star Wars, generally.

Star Wars is an evergreen franchise which spawned dozens (hundreds?) of books, games and comics. The MCU doesn't really have that, because every single creative decision is probably scrutinised by a panel of dozens, to the point where it makes supporting any kind of Extended Universe material basically impossible, and definitely not to the same scale. So you basically have the movies, but not much else.

That said, the MCU is generally considered to be pretty great all around, whereas Star Wars is pretty much held up exclusively by three 30 year old movies, with the rest being panned by just about everyone.

Personally, I would say that as a whole, the MCU is better than Star Wars, because other than the OT, Star Wars' efforts over the last 20 years have been pretty iffy. But, that said, after how good The Mandalorian and the Clone Wars finale have been, and with a whole bunch of new content on the horizon - maybe this is Star Wars' comeback (for real this time, sequel movies).

I guess we will have to wait 20 years and see how the MCU is remembered. But I already know Star Wars still will be.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Has it? Honestly, comic book movies leave me pretty cold so I haven't paid much attention. I'm not ever really sure what MCU stands for, Marvel Compounded Universe? I don't know. Was Iron Man a part of that? The first Iron Man movie was alright. Batman: The Dark Knight was pretty good too. Captain America is and always will be a lame super hero. Besides, his best movie adaptation was already filmed long ago in Captain America II: Death Too Soon.

And I think that's all I've seen of the MCU.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I keep reading of hate on Avatar. For a time, it was the biggest BO ever. (At least when not measured by inflation. GWTW may still have it there). And yet, 10 years later, is it a part of the conversation? I don't thinks so except for perplex-ion that now, 10 years later, they're making a number more sequels. (I am excited to see if 2 works: 3d w/o glasses).

40 years after Star Wars, we're still talking about it. Will the MCU @Drathnoxis (Marvel Cinematic Universe) have the same fate? Big $ but forgotten like last years popcorn?

The MCU has produced, IMHO, a more consistently good set of movies. Star Wars and Empire were great. Return, OK. Prequels? Oy. Disney Sequel: abomination. But they were iconic in a way I'm not sure Marvel movies ever will be.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Superheroes are somewhat of a fad, while the original trilogy is still talked about to this day, and it is required material for film makers. I think the only MCU movie that might stand the test of time would be Infinity War.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Superheroes are somewhat of a fad, while the original trilogy is still talked about to this day, and it is required material for film makers. I think the only MCU movie that might stand the test of time would be Infinity War.
Winter Soldier is my favorite Super Hero movie after the Dark Knight. I think it has a chance of being discussed though concede, it may be drowned out by the louder, lesser film "Civil War". A spoof as, if they're laughing at you, they're talking about you at least: