Has there ever been a game directly based off of a book?

metagaia

Random small pink blob
Jul 23, 2008
underwearskids said:
Betrayal at Krondor was one of the earliest Novel to PC translations, and the game for those who remember it, was actually quite close to the novel.
Well yes, it would be, since the novel was written after the game.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i dont get why it doesn't count if it where a book first and then a movie than a game, a movie is likely to peak the interest of the public (because as we all know books where so 1940, now books are for teaching and making movie writers life easier) which will lead to game designers wanting to milk the cow and thats how we get games.

also how many of the elements from the book should be present in the game, if we can settle on simple things like plot tag lines the list would be close to every game ever.

but whit out having read the series of books "left behind" what i understood from critics and wikipedia the game of the same name is based on it and you play trough the story of the books in the game.

so in short ***** *****, whine whine, left behind : the game

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
LimaBravo said:
Beltom1066 said:
Remembered another one, there's a game based on the book "Hard to be a God" written by some Russian brothers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_to_Be_a_God#Computer_game
I've got this game on my shelf but i've never played it, i'll have to install it at some point.
Sturgovsky brothers guys that wrote Roadside Picnic, which inspired STalker
"Checks Wikipedia" Now that's an interesting fact. Seems Stalker was based both on Roadside Picnic and a film called Stalker which was also based on Roadside Picnic, which was subsequently novelised. Not sure how that works out but there you go.

heniv181

Jun 25, 2009
metagaia said:
Well, if you're being strict, things like Betrayal at Krondor and discwolrd don't count since they are based of settings rather than a specific book.
True, both Discworld and WoT are based on series of books rather than single books. Im note sure i know of one game based on a single book (unless it's a play-the-move game).

mulletmanalive

May 22, 2009
"The Bard's Tale" was based on a specific tome of Orkney writings, a sort of collection in the mould of 'La Morte d'Artur.'

Incidentally, I believe there were a fair few such properties on the NES, though i'm damned if i can identify them [I was about 7 when i last saw any of the boxes].

Do text format RPGs count as books? There've been two movies of that type. One of them was even watchable [and i still have the first to cheer me up with Jeremy Irons when i'm unhappy]. Ditto for the horrible manglings that Vampire the Masquerade and Hunter the Reckoning suffered.

underwearskids

Jun 25, 2009
Ah, touche.

What about the Where's Waldo games? They weren't educational, and as a child I thought the idea was horrible, so how could they be marketed towards children?

metagaia

Random small pink blob
Jul 23, 2008
swaki said:
i dont get why it doesn't count if it where a book first and then a movie than a game, a movie is likely to peak the interest of the public (because as we all know books where so 1940, now books are for teaching and making movie writers life easier) which will lead to game designers wanting to milk the cow and thats how we get games.
I suppose it makes things easier for the purposes of the thread. When you enter murky territory like LOTR games, you have to decide of the game was based primarily off the book or the movie version.

Secondly, the purpose of the thread was to enquire if such games based solely off the books do exist, and means the OPer does not have to dredge through 10s and 10s of posts naming obvious ones like half the James Bond games etc etc.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
The game "The Fellowship of the Ring" was actually based off the book instead of the movie. That and Dante's Inferno, but that game seems to be nothing like the original source material so I don't know. Another one I just thought of is "The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy". It is a very old text adventure game, similar to the likes of Zork.

heniv181

Jun 25, 2009
Chipperz said:
Well, the old Neverwinter Nights games were based on books. Icewind Dale was damn good, too...
Actually, BG, NWN, IWD are all games from the begining. Old style pen-and-paper RPGs, any books were inspired of them first i think.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
metagaia said:
swaki said:
I suppose it makes things easier for the purposes of the thread. When you enter murky territory like LOTR games, you have to decide of the game was based primarily off the book or the movie version.

Secondly, the purpose of the thread was to enquire if such games based solely off the books do exist, and means the OPer does not have to dredge through 10s and 10s of posts naming obvious ones like half the James Bond games etc etc.
true, which is why in my second part of the reply i try to know how much of the book must be present in the game, should it have the same basic story, young guy meeds older guy and old guy befriends young guy and they go into the woods together whit some other young guys to meet other older guys that can tell them where they should go next, or does the game need to be named after the book and all the npcs in the game needs to have the same names as the characters in the book.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Malicious said:
Actualy i think "call of ctulhu" was based on HP Lovencraft,i dont know if necessarily off a book but it sure is influenced by him. (so ive heard at least,im not a fan)
Yeah, it's based loosely on his short story Shadow over Innsmouth but used the name of one of his other short stories for some reason. Might be because the name Cthulhu is one of the more well known aspects of his books.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_Dark_Corners_of_the_Earth] was based off of the short story The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft. It wasn't a very good game, and didn't follow very strictly to the story, but it had its moments.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
heniv181 said:
Chipperz said:
Well, the old Neverwinter Nights games were based on books. Icewind Dale was damn good, too...
Actually, BG, NWN, IWD are all games from the begining. Old style pen-and-paper RPGs, any books were inspired of them first i think.
Technically, they were all a single group's D&D sessions. One of the group was a writer who got their adventures (and several based on the world - Forgotten Realms) published. Technically, that means that the books came first in the franchise, because the Forgotten Realms books inspired the Forgotten Realms P&P RPG which in turn inspired the games.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
The Divine Comedy (Dante's Inferno) is a game (soon-to-be, that is)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
MaxChaos said:
heniv181 said:
Terry Pratchets - Discworld http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(video_game)
Good god. I had that on the Playstation. What an epic game.
Me too; I actually saw my wife playing it the other day. Cute game, funny, but I don't think it's based on any one of the Discworld books in particular.

However, I do think that there was a Harry Potter game before the movies.

Also (they're really old) but there were a bunch of D&D games that were based on those Dragon Lance and Forgotten Realms books: Dark Queen of Kryn, Pools of Radiance.