Has Zero Punctuation Run its Course?

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Stranger of Sorts said:
Controversial I know.

Anyway I was thinking (surprising right?) that I don't actually find the new ZP's that funny. Maybe it's just me, or the 'shock' has worn off but I think it's because they're all a bit samey. Apart from a few such as the Wolfenstein review which were pretty special, the new ones seem to be...

'I was playing this game... (insert obscure expletive)... (insult developer)... (make a cock joke)...

...and I'm not really finding it funny any more. My thought is that it should do what The Office did and stop now before it gets worse.

Or am I completely wrong?

(Normal rules apply about respecting opinions and being nice blah-de-blah blah)
I would disagree with ouy. ZP is still hilarious, it's just now he's actually making some valid points instead of simply ranting (the Mailbag showdown is a good example of this shift) so we're all subconsciously considering his points, which makes it more serious to us.

Cptn_Squishy

Mar 4, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
Controversial I know.

Anyway I was thinking (surprising right?) that I don't actually find the new ZP's that funny. Maybe it's just me, or the 'shock' has worn off but I think it's because they're all a bit samey. Apart from a few such as the Wolfenstein review which were pretty special, the new ones seem to be...

'I was playing this game... (insert obscure expletive)... (insult developer)... (make a cock joke)...

...and I'm not really finding it funny any more. My thought is that it should do what The Office did and stop now before it gets worse.

Or am I completely wrong?

(Normal rules apply about respecting opinions and being nice blah-de-blah blah)
You could say the same thing about the Daily Show...

But even if Yahtzee's style was getting stale, theyre still good reviews and a good indicator of whether you should risk $60 to see if its good or not bother.

aakibar

Apr 14, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
It's still going to be profusely popular. I still think it is the second most over-appreciated show on the Escapist.
whats the first?

OT: no it has not, maybe he needs to insert the wierd things that he did a while back like talking in a different accent...

Seef

Feb 20, 2010
I still think that ZP is great, but some unexpected changes like the Wolfenstein review done entirely in limerick would be even more awesome. And besides, it apparenty already jumped the shark with the official theme music.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
Kollega said:
To quote the man himself, "it's kinda funny how things stop being funny the longer you live with them".

But on the other hand, recent ones were getting more entertaining.
/agree.

The Fitzynator

Apr 24, 2009
I don't think zero punctuation has lost it's touch. At first he's all about the funny but once you have scene most and if not all of his videos you begin to see that it isn't so much about the humor but the review and notations he makes on the evolution of gaming and how games are becoming more and more copy pasted. The crude humor is there to make the mindless swarm that is the internet happy but it is his annotations on gaming that captivates me and hopefully others like me.

On a side note can we all stop asking him to review games we want to see him say are good and just let the guy do his job? I enjoyed borderlands and I knew if he reviewed it he would point out all the flaws in it making it seem less like a good game so I didn't want a review for it, but apparently the mob thinks he enjoys games like borderlands.

Kronosad

Feb 11, 2010
well maybe all you haters just dont have the capacity for ridiculous humour Yahtzee. The reason i love his reviews is because he is ridiculously funny while htiitng upon some great points! Plus he is the only person i have seen that can actually pull off what he does without sounding soooooo annoting! Kudos Yahtzee

BKtheKITTY

Jun 24, 2009
Bring back the different openings, that's what I say. It'ws been fluctuating in greatness since it was standardised, and a fluctuation simply will not do- The man himself demands perfection, he should be producing it.

Another point to add would be that the market for his videos is not only fickle, but often loses interest in things rapidly. Analysts predict the demise of Facebook as we who populate it find the New Big Thing.

I suspect he'll keep going though, and rightly so. Uwe Boll's still doing it, and he was never good.

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
I still watch ZP and still find it funny (most of the time) but I get the impression that HE'S getting bored with it. I really couldn't blame him if he is though, since it must be pretty tedious playing (often shitty) games because you have to and making a video about why the game sucks and doing this almost EVERY WEEK of the year. Granted that's a better job than your average sell-your-time retail position but I think I would get bored doing what he does for as long as he's done it.

I'm really looking forward to his book, it should be a more creative outlet for his writing than ZP is right now.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Stranger of Sorts said:
Has Zero Punctuation Run its Course?
Nop, but these threads have.

Seriously. One of these "you used to be cool maaan..." threads pops up randomly every so often since ZP existed...

EscChaos

Feb 14, 2008
Having watched them since the good ol' youtube episodes: Sadly it's not as hilarious to me as it once was but there still hasn't been more than a few wednesdays when I've watched an entire episode without a good laugh or alternately left with a topic for later discussion.

Still I have to say that one of the main reasons i enjoy watching them is because their actually reviews in the sense that they present an opinion and/or an emotion as opposed to the common feature-listing form i come across too often.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
If you watch them just to laugh then yeah, he gets old. But if you haven't forgotten that he is talking sense about things people genuinely want an opinion on then his reviews are as fresh as the games he's talking about.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I bet ZP will still go for a few years. Until a dev finally loses it and bludgeons Yahtzee to death with a baseball bat that has all his criticisms written on it.

Silvertongue

Jul 2, 2008
randomrob said:
i dunno, once you get over the 'controversy' of what he says you appreciate the points that he actually makes about the games. They aren't as funny, but they are more informative.
Totally agreed on this point. He makes lots of valid points, and I never get tired of quoting him to people who've never seen the show when the subject of a particular game he's reviewed comes up. They always think it's insightful and pretty hilarious...when I can delver the lines right.

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
I think it is getting a bit stale and needs mixing up a little. The limerick one was hilarious, but he shouldn't go all gimmicky in trying to recapture that gold.

I think he's mellowing out. I don't feel the same anger and rage that made the earlier ones so appealing.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Nope.

I still laugh every week. The gimmick has run it's coarse it's true, but Yahtzee is still a very funny man with lots of pee-your-pants funny jokes to tell. Plus contrary to what a lot of people think I believe he's one of the few honest game reviewers out there.

Hipocracy

Jun 4, 2009
Its is the only reason i am on the site, my two cents. also stop watching if you cant stand swearing because it damages your virgin ears, seriously people should stop trying to censor each other imo.

TransMando

Jul 15, 2009
I enjoy it, and like anything it has its good and bad moments. I also feel that ZP has become more informative and Yahtzee makes some good arguments.