"Haters"? Oh, _please_.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
We need to stop referring to people who dislike something we like as "haters". "A hater's gotta hate," so the saying goes, and there's the problem.

If someone says they hate, say, Minecraft, you could raise questions as to why. Do they think it takes away focus from their favorite genre? Do they worry it will all too quickly lead to a thousand imitators? Do they find the mechanics repetitive? Do they worry about the long-term viability of the title as a "garage game"?

You can say things about someone who hates a game that question whether their reasons for disliking it are rational, if they're employing a double standard that they wouldn't apply to a game they've said they like, if they really have enough information to make the kind of absolute judgement about it that they've made.

But when you refer to someone as a "hater", you're basically saying that they hate something reflexively, that there's no thought process at all going into that judgement. Dismissal. Case closed from line one. A hater's gotta hate.

And speaking for myself, my reflexive response to that is: "@$%# you. I'm not wasting my time trying to bang your two remaining brain cells together making you understand that I have goddamn reasons for the way I feel about things." Which, like the comment that provokes that response, isn't exactly productive.

You don't start a discussion by putting the people who disagree with you in the position of having to dig themselves out of how you've pigeonholed them. Not if you want to sit at the adult table.

Oh, and one last thing, while I've got your ear. "If you don't like it, don't play/watch/read"? Yeah, there's a time and a place for it, and money/clickthrough talks, and so on. But a forum is a place for discussion, for the forwarding of ideas and opinions, and if we're really at a point where inaction and absence are the only ways we're supposed to make our opinions known, well, ideas like democracy are in a sorry place indeed. It shouldn't all be black and white- there's a place for saying that things should be better than they are, and if a forum isn't it, where do we go?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Refer to the owl

There are "haters" for a reason, its because their opinion is different. We as humans will never ever ever all like the same thing at once.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I don't think people who post "Haters gonna hate" mean it seriously. I know I never have. It's not like merely defining the function of those who 'hate' will help. If anything, it's just saying 'there will always be someone who hates you and/or the things you enjoy, so stop wasting your time trying to make every single one of them like you and the things you like'.

Ah well. Dissenters will inevitably abhor.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007

While I personally don't use the term "hater" that often, I use it for the lulz.

People are going to have different opinions of things and more often than not, especially on the internet, the two opposing sides are going to argue to the death over who is right and wrong about an opinion.

I personally call somebody a hater when they dislike something, they can have a reason to hate it and that would still make them a hater to me.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Geo Da Sponge said:
I don't think people who post "Haters gonna hate" mean it seriously. I know I never have. It's not like merely defining the function of those who 'hate' will help. If anything, it's just saying 'there will always be someone who hates you and/or the things you enjoy, so stop wasting your time trying to make every single one of them like you and the things you like'.

Ah well. Dissenters will inevitably abhor.
This. Not to mention the pictures are usually hilarious. Any excuse to post funny pictures is good enough for me.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

There are "haters" for a reason, its because their opinion is different. We as humans will never ever ever all like the same thing at once.
Exactly, think of it less like "Well clearly it isn't the game, it is that they are horribly shallow people" and more along the lines of "Liking something is an opinion, and people have different opinions. It is just a fact of life, so let's just let it go".

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Umm why should we have to prompt you to give reasons why you don't like something rather than you just giving the reasons in the first place? Is it so hard to say "I hate X because (List Reasons Here)" rather than "I hate X!".

meticadpa

Jul 8, 2010
I don't use it ever, purely for that reason. I get annoyed when people hate things for no good reason, and refuse to substantiate their apparent hatred for it, yes. If I dislike something, I'm perfectly ready and willing to give you a rather large explanation as to why.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Callate said:
I like the saying "haters gonna hate". It makes people remember that they have different opinions and their opinions don't have to concern you. It stops fights. I think you have somewhat misinterpreted the saying Callate, it doesn't mean "You are a hater so therefore your opinion is invalid" it means "O.K, you go ahead and not like it and I'll keep liking it".

And at the end of the day, you are the one expressing negative energy towards something. They aren't.

Haters gonna hate!

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
I think OP is hating haters. Why you hatin' haters, hater?

OT: A hater is someone, anyone, who hates something vehemently. With or without good reason.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Scizophrenic Llama said:

While I personally don't use the term "hater" that often, I use it for the lulz.

People are going to have different opinions of things and more often than not, especially on the internet, the two opposing sides are going to argue to the death over who is right and wrong about an opinion.

I personally call somebody a hater when they dislike something, they can have a reason to hate it and that would still make them a hater to me.
Haha, I remember that episode of Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

OT: People like and dislike a variety of different things. You could even change around the well known "haters gonna hate" phrase with "lovers gonna love"... well actually that just sounds wrong.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
People? Being smart on the internet?

*headsplosion*

People just like saying "you're just a hater" because by branding you that they don't have to listen to their arguments. Usually a defense mechanism.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

This poster is correct: there will always be someone out there who absolutely HATES things instead of merely disliking them, and often has an inane reason for said hatred. It's called human pettiness, and it is also why I'm glad I hatched instead of live birth.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
King Toasty said:
I think OP is hating haters. Why you hatin' haters, hater?

OT: A hater is someone, anyone, who hates something vehemently. With or without good reason.
EDIT:::Oh crap, I quoted the wrong guy. IGNORE THIS!!!

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
hem dazon 90 said:
Post this on the TGWTG forum please.
Um, no. It would tarnish their respectability. Also, he's wrong, there ARE petty people, we're not just making it up. And if we WERE making it up, that would be us being PETTY. Which proves our point regardless. The OP is assuming there are no stupidly conceited people when in fact there are many.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Biosophilogical said:
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

Exactly, think of it less like "Well clearly it isn't the game, it is that they are horribly shallow people" and more along the lines of "Liking something is an opinion, and people have different opinions. It is just a fact of life, so let's just let it go".
Ussually though, haters aren't just being assholes, they're being assholes to YOU.