"Haters"? Oh, _please_.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I would rather have people just use the term correctly. A "hater" is someone who is frustrated with and cannot comprehend someone else's success.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
If I actually saw more people dismissing "haters" out of hand than I see genuine haters (i.e. people who not only dislike something for whatever reason, but consider anyone who does like the thing moronic), I'd probably sympathize with your rant.

Most of what I see instead puts credence to the idea "You're not allowed to like things on the internet."

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Its all a matter of opinion and I would rather see a my little ponies picture of haters gonna hate and then everyone moving on with the topic then a bunch pages of people screaming their heads of at each other over a opinion and going nowhere and walking away from the computer pissed off. Honestly best system we have right now.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Honesty in conversations is like Chivalry in Medieval warfare, in that it's a good idea to maintain a level of civility and sense in conversations, but it's a lot easier not to, and trying to argue with someone honestly while they're using dishonest tactics never ends well because it's a severe handicap on your ability to respond. If you can manage to have civil online discussions, then I applaud you, but you're going to have a tough time of it.

TheModWolf

Nov 19, 2009

As said above, there will always be haters, it's not just some phrase that people have come up with to generate a meme or popular saying. Even if they hate something for a good reason, such as buggy mechanics etc, they're still a hater.

And so they have to see the eagle.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Nieroshai said:
Biosophilogical said:
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

There are "haters" for a reason, its because their opinion is different. We as humans will never ever ever all like the same thing at once.
Exactly, think of it less like "Well clearly it isn't the game, it is that they are horribly shallow people" and more along the lines of "Liking something is an opinion, and people have different opinions. It is just a fact of life, so let's just let it go".
Ussually though, haters aren't just being assholes, they're being assholes to YOU.
What ...? =/

I don't remember saying they were arseholes. I thought I was saying that liking something or hating something is just an opinion. That's it, an opinion, end of story. Not 'being an arse' just 'having a different opinion'.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Callate said:
But when you refer to someone as a "hater", you're basically saying that they hate something reflexively, that there's no thought process at all going into that judgement. Dismissal. Case closed from line one. A hater's gotta hate.
It's "gonna" not "gotta."

Anyway, I really don't see any issue with calling someone a hater. To me, a hater is not someone who doesn't like something that I do like. A hater is someone who complains about something or "hates on" it without any reason for doing so. It's not that they don't back up their complaints with logical reasoned arguments, it's that they can't back up their complaints with logical reasoned arguments because there is no logic or reason behind it.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Pffff, I'll use the term "hater" all I want. Complain all you want, I'll use it.

In all seriousness though, I think you're mistaking what people mean when they use the phrase. They don't mean that there are people out there that, on instinct, will begin to foam at the mouth in anger and rage at different things. When we use the phrase we're essentially saying "There's always gonna be somebody out there that isn't going to like something." The following piece of logic is that since it's inevitable for something to be disliked by someone, there's not need to get upset about it; it's just a part of life.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Well the thing with the phrase is, you could get all riled up and get into a long winded, pointless argument about why you like X when another person says they hate X. Or you could just shrug your shoulders and...

Venereus

May 9, 2010
Oh great, a hate thread about hating the haters that hate other haters. It's the Anonymous civil war all over again.
"Haters gonna hate" started as a pretty useful quick-dismisal of obvious trolls. But it's use is now widespread and it's meaning keeps getting thinner. It was never meant to be an arguing tool, because it's not, and as we've seen now countless times, it doesn't work in that role.
Anyway, the pics are funny, and the internet (the way we use it here and in most forums) is mainly for the lulz, or else.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Nieroshai said:
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

There are "haters" for a reason, its because their opinion is different. We as humans will never ever ever all like the same thing at once.
This poster is correct: there will always be someone out there who absolutely HATES things instead of merely disliking them, and often has an inane reason for said hatred. It's called human pettiness, and it is also why I'm glad I hatched instead of live birth.
Hatched? What are you?

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
Scizophrenic Llama said:

While I personally don't use the term "hater" that often, I use it for the lulz.

People are going to have different opinions of things and more often than not, especially on the internet, the two opposing sides are going to argue to the death over who is right and wrong about an opinion.

I personally call somebody a hater when they dislike something, they can have a reason to hate it and that would still make them a hater to me.
NaylerTheImpaler said:
As said above, there will always be haters, it's not just some phrase that people have come up with to generate a meme or popular saying. Even if they hate something for a good reason, such as buggy mechanics etc, they're still a hater.

And so they have to see the eagle.
So much awesomeness in one thread, I'm honestly not sure which I like best. On the one hand I love Ed and I'm biased towards Bronies. On the other hand, I love Piccolo and that fucking eagle is walking on water, plus 50 internets for the both of you.

OP: I support the democratic right to hate, but one should also respect retaliation, if you're just going to drop the hate without clarifying your hate (most likley the result of Haterade) then people are going to call you out on it.

PS Captcha: "upon Boaddid", let us descend upon Boaddid for the glory of Lord Inglip!

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Venereus said:
Oh great, a hate thread about hating the haters that hate other haters. It's the Anonymous civil war all over again.
More like the most recursive discussion ever since someone merged the Yo Dawg meme with Inception.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
My opinion is that if you're gonna flaunt your opinion somewhere (be it the internet or the real world), you'd better be ready to have people call you out on it.

It doesn't matter whether you just say "I hate game A" or "I hate game A because..." or "I hate game A. Game B is alot better".

By doing so, you've already opened up for people to discuss your reasons and/or arguments.

Personally I don't see the problem. To me, a hater isn't someone who "dislikes something that I like". Its someone who hates something without any real reason or logic.