"Haters"? Oh, _please_.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
The problem here is that declaring someone as a "hater" is an effective means of undermining their ability to put forth a reasoned argument, much like calling them a troll. It's a way of declaring them unreasonable, and thus convincing yourself, and attempting to convince others, that the "hater" is not fit to sit at the adult table. In this way, their comments and arguments do not have to be dealt with, and the justification of the person declaring the hater remain intact.

This is a basic form of social attack and defence - even while it denies logical, reasoned discourse about anything. It is aimed at denying and removing respect for an opponent, and you can't have a reasonable debate or discussion if you don't respect those you are discussing with.

It's not the haters themselves that are the problem, although they do exist - a hater is infact just a specific negative instance of someone with an unshakable opinion. This is a "point of principle" for them - the foundation of their beliefs. They will rarely budge, because this is not based of reason. It's based on personal judgement and taste.

Identifying these points of principle is important, because arguing a point of principle IS generally a waste of time. It's better to acknowledge that this is a point of principle and move on. You can talk about topics that are point of principles, because simply listing these doesn't change them, but if you try and argue them or debate them, it becomes a clash of wills. If either side is willing to change their mind on the given subject, it is NOT a point of principle - otherwise it is.

Ironically, most people who go into forums and such actually do so and argue their points of principle. They get locking into fighting each other, but really they are trying to sway those who have not yet made up their minds. In the end, such discussions often end in a stalemate that will die away, assuming the thread itself doesn't crash in flames.

Some people just won't accept that something is a point of principle for themselves or others, or otherwise just don't know how to argue or debate properly. I'm not exactly brilliant at it when it comes to forum posting, since I'm far to personal and engage my scathing wit a lot, unlike when I do this in my academic writing.

Thus they tend to seek other means to otherwise "win" an argument, when they realise that they can't actually get the other person to change their mind, either because of a weak argument, a lack of evidence, or because it is a point of principle for their opponent. Thus they will almost certainly try to undermine the other person's ability to argue and their reasonableness, such as dismissing haters, calling them trolls, or engaging in cyberbullying through a call to arms (commonly used when hosts are losing an argument on their own forum, they will often appeal to their fans to come in and try and shout out the other opponent to intimidate them and force them to back down and/or ostracise them completely).

The difficult part is that calling out a point of principle is a double edged sword. Calling a point of principle in your opponent can be taken either way - since there is often very little difference between calling a point of principle and dismissing someone as a hater or something else. It's more about how it's handled - calling a point of principle can be like agreeing to disagree, recognising the factor as a matter of personal taste, or declaring a stalemate if it's about something key to an opponent's argument. But if you are looking for a solution, it can also be a means to identify a key non-negotiable point for the relevant party, and thus move on to other things, in the aim of finding a compromise solution that takes into account all the points of principles on both sides.

Quite often a mistake is to overgeneralise on points of principle without understanding what they actually are. For example, it's often easy to dismiss someone in the US as Republican or Democrat as a point of principle. Yet, more likely they aren't point of principles as such - the points of principle are deeper causes which tend to make people lean toward Republican or Democrat voting tendencies. The Republican may be concerned with money issues and efficiency, where as the Democrat may be more concerned with altruism. Knowing these are the actual points of principle, a compromise could see these two find a solution that combines Atruism and Efficiency - for example, a Universal Healthcare System (Altruism) that doesn't have a great deal of Red Tape and a rigorous screening process (Financial Efficiency). Only in true oppositions will you struggle to find a compromise, such as Alliance vs. Horde, but even then stepping outwards can lead to a compromise (Warcraft Universe is Awesome).

It's all based on our very natures, since it's the means with which we identify and relate to the world in a very fundamental level. It's how we are, even subconsciously, so much so that we often don't recognise these behaviours.

Blade3dge

Nov 12, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Callate said:
But when you refer to someone as a "hater", you're basically saying that they hate something reflexively, that there's no thought process at all going into that judgement. Dismissal. Case closed from line one. A hater's gotta hate.
It's "gonna" not "gotta."

Anyway, I really don't see any issue with calling someone a hater. To me, a hater is not someone who doesn't like something that I do like. A hater is someone who complains about something or "hates on" it without any reason for doing so. It's not that they don't back up their complaints with logical reasoned arguments, it's that they can't back up their complaints with logical reasoned arguments because there is no logic or reason behind it.
Quoted for truth. That's pretty much the definition of a hater, the problem is that people tend to write off honest and fair dissent as "haters", it seems almost like people can't disagree with the majority without being accused and promptly disregarded as a hater. Haters are gonna hate but people need to be more careful about their definition before writing off every Tom, Dick and Harry as a hater or else you fall in to the realm of close minded "fanboy" which is just as bad a place to be.

Haters gonna hate.
Tomaters gonna tomate.
Potaters gonna potate.

SuperVegas

Nov 20, 2009
Your both overly cynical and overly optimistic at the same time
but in the wrong places.

If you have a valid point to make, no amount of catchphrases spun around it will make it any less valid. The people who want to discuss, will discuss.

You're also under the impression that people are willing to logically pull apart the things they love. If you were to give me a 20-point logical reason why Ocarina of time was a horrible game, there is only so much of it i would want to read before i start to feel ill.
Your points may be valid, but destroying a fond memory for discussion isn't something we like to do as humans.

Anyway, dictating how people should react and isn't how things work, like i said
if you got a point to make, make it. If its valid, people will listen.
If your flooded with 'Haters gonna hate" responses, maybe your opinion of the matter just isn't welcome?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Nieroshai said:
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

There are "haters" for a reason, its because their opinion is different. We as humans will never ever ever all like the same thing at once.
This poster is correct: there will always be someone out there who absolutely HATES things instead of merely disliking them, and often has an inane reason for said hatred. It's called human pettiness, and it is also why I'm glad I live at sea..
Hatched? What are you?
Um... I didn't say "hatched," look again. You must be on something. What idiot would say he hatched from an egg? That would be preposterous!

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Biosophilogical said:
Nieroshai said:
Biosophilogical said:
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

There are "haters" for a reason, its because their opinion is different. We as humans will never ever ever all like the same thing at once.
Exactly, think of it less like "Well clearly it isn't the game, it is that they are horribly shallow people" and more along the lines of "Liking something is an opinion, and people have different opinions. It is just a fact of life, so let's just let it go".
Ussually though, haters aren't just being assholes, they're being assholes to YOU.
What ...? =/

I don't remember saying they were arseholes. I thought I was saying that liking something or hating something is just an opinion. That's it, an opinion, end of story. Not 'being an arse' just 'having a different opinion'.
Then we have completely different ideas of what a hater is. Meh, word games. Oh well.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Nieroshai said:
Terminate421 said:
Nieroshai said:
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

This poster is correct: there will always be someone out there who absolutely HATES things instead of merely disliking them, and often has an inane reason for said hatred. It's called human pettiness, and it is also why I'm glad I live at sea..
Hatched? What are you?
Um... I didn't say "hatched," look again. You must be on something. What idiot would say he hatched from an egg? That would be preposterous!
Do you have Schiziophrenia?
So you live at sea, are you an Octupus or Cthulu?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Nieroshai said:
Terminate421 said:
Nieroshai said:
Terminate421 said:
Refer to the owl

Hatched? What are you?
Do you have Schiziophrenia?
So you live at sea, are you an Octupus or Cthulu?
That name... so famili--AGH! WHY DOES MY HEAD HURT???
I see raging tides and writhing dark...

LegionDre

Sep 2, 2010
I hate minecraft because of the fact that you can not do anything worth while with it. You can't go to your friends hey look what I did with minecraft. You need to drag their ass over to your place sit them down and explain why it was so difficult. No one cares that you can make a motorcycle in garry's mod that works like a real motorcycle how does that help you in the world.

Should I care about how a video game helps you like the real world? Probably not but for some reason I do when it comes to games like that. Am I a hater? Whatever if I am then I am OK with that. I would just rather be creative with a pencil/pen and paper and or making a city out of Lego in-front of doors in apartment complexes.

I just find it hard to explain why some one recreated the enterprise from star trek in minecraft. How can you justify all that time and effort into some thing most people would be committed into an insane asylum for?

That is just me... what I do only confuses people as they leave for work.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I'm sorry, but the meme posting in this thread seriously needs to stop.

On another note, I actually like the OPs posts. I'm always up for someone looking to make the internet a better place.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Callate said:
But when you refer to someone as a "hater", you're basically saying that they hate something reflexively, that there's no thought process at all going into that judgement. Dismissal. Case closed from line one. A hater's gotta hate.
Agreed; I've always found the use of the unironic use of "hater" as a standalone word difficult to take seriously (to say the least).

Oh, and one last thing, while I've got your ear. "If you don't like it, don't play/watch/read"? Yeah, there's a time and a place for it, and money/clickthrough talks, and so on. But a forum is a place for discussion, for the forwarding of ideas and opinions, and if we're really at a point where inaction and absence are the only ways we're supposed to make our opinions known, well, ideas like democracy are in a sorry place indeed. It shouldn't all be black and white- there's a place for saying that things should be better than they are, and if a forum isn't it, where do we go?
Oh, yes, that good old logic: If it has fans at all, that means it's perfect and above criticism. Therefore, it is the duty of every good fan to mock and shame critics into silence. Trust me, I know what you mean.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
"Haters Gonna Hate" is a person stating that there is someone out there who disagrees with themself, and they dismiss the statement by saying "Ok, you disagree. There will alwyas be people who disagree". And we shorten that into "haters gonna hate" because it's short and catchy.

I think you're taking internet terminology just a bit too literally, something that should never be done on the internet.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010

It's fun to say, however you mean it. I say it all the time, and usually just when people say something rude.
"Haters gonna hate" is more of a "Who gives a crap about what people say?" type of phrase, whereas you take it as "They're bashing something, therefore they hate it and should be told that they are doing so." It's a simple misconcpetion of a fun little 3 word phrase.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Condor219 said:
I think you're taking internet terminology just a bit too literally, something that should never be done on the internet.
Trust me, I have heard people say "You're just a hater!" without irony before.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Farseer Lolotea said:
Condor219 said:
Trust me, I have heard people say "You're just a hater!" without irony before.
Saying "You're just a hater!" could be translated roughly into "You're just a dissenting opinion!", except with more rage and immaturity.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I think its actually a kind of positive thing as it's basically accepting that people have their opinion and you have yours.

Better than being angry and confrontational I think.

I think it's Samara in Mass Effect 2 that says of humans; 'There can be three of you in a room and six opinions.'

I think that's fairly accurate.