"Haters"? Oh, _please_.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Dango said:
I would rather have people just use the term correctly. A "hater" is someone who is frustrated with and cannot comprehend someone else's success.
Fairly sure the word "hater" existed before the rap culture.

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
if you explain your reasons then your not a hater (at least in my opinion) example time: if you say DC comics is balllllllllllls then yeah you apear to be a hater but if you say i dont like dc comics i prefer the marvel way of storytelling and their characters. then that makes you seem well reasoned and open to other peoples opinions. (sorry the dc comics guide to penciling comics is on my desk it was the first thing i thought of to explain my point)

yeah so i guess what im trying to get at is explain yourself.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Condor219 said:
Saying "You're just a hater!" could be translated roughly into "You're just a dissenting opinion!", except with more rage and immaturity.
But you see, the rage and immaturity--and the typical presumption by said individual that there must be something wrong with you for having a dissenting opinion to begin with--is where the difference lies.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I think I can consider my friend a hater (and it's this reason I sometimes think of ending the friendship). Anything that isn't a first person shooter or a sports game is instantly crap and not worth a single cent. When asked for a reason to back that claim up, he repeats the same line.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Farseer Lolotea said:
Condor219 said:
Saying "You're just a hater!" could be translated roughly into "You're just a dissenting opinion!", except with more rage and immaturity.
But you see, the rage and immaturity--and the typical presumption by said individual that there must be something wrong with you for having a dissenting opinion to begin with--is where the difference lies.
It's a natural reaction to thing other people are "wrong" and you are "right". Otherwise, why would you believe what you do? But having the sense to realize "We just have different opinions" instead of blindly throwing out stubborn statements at people is the difference between using "haters" ironically or not, and the differenece between an intelligent dicsussion and a flame war.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Condor219 said:
It's a natural reaction to thing other people are "wrong" and you are "right". Otherwise, why would you believe what you do? But having the sense to realize "We just have different opinions" instead of blindly throwing out stubborn statements at people is the difference between using "haters" ironically or not, and the differenece between an intelligent dicsussion and a flame war.
Hey, you'll get no argument from me on that. I've simply heard "hater" used far more often in flame wars than in actual arguments.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I believe this in appropriate time to just leave this here:

OT: Seriously, though, why so upset over a largely joking turn of phrase? Did you not get the joke? Or do you just think that every single thing you have to say is so important that everyone should acknowledge your opinion and change what they like and dislike because of your opinions? If someone hated a game you like, would you really care?

Honestly, though, there's a pretty simple lesson here that I think everyone can take away from this. 99% of the time in life, no one really cares what you have to say, especially not on the internet. Frankly, I don't even give a fuck about what I'm saying right now. Girl should Gee Tee Eff Oh to be quite honest.

Apr 28, 2008
Though I appreciate its original intent, "haters gonna hate" quickly turned into "valid criticism gonna get a passive-aggressive response."

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I think of haters as somebody who hates a game for no reason (or at least, a reason that is obviously insufficient). If somebody said "I HATE MINECRAFT, IT HAS NO GUNS" then they're a hater. If someone said "I HATE MINECRAFT BECAUSE I HATE THE GAMEPLAY" they are just a reasonable guy who doesn't like something (and needs to learn to not use capslock all the time :p).

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009

You're apparently mad because people who hate stuff for generic/no reason are correctly labeled. This is typically also a "u mad" moment, but I can't be bothered to get another picture right now.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Apparently some clarification needed.

If someone comes on and the totality of their insight is, say, that Halo players cheat on their cousins with farm animals, by all means call them whatever you want. "Troll" would probably be more accurate in that example, but hey, I'm not going to quibble.

Likewise, I find the impression that I must be frothing with rage at "haters gotta hate" GIFs pretty amusing. It's not the phrase I have a problem with, the expression just clarifies the association everyone has with the word "hater" (as many replies have now quite clearly proven.)

My point is that calling people "haters" shouldn't be our starting point, our baseline assumption, our fallback position. Dismissing dozens of people who disagree with you- most that you've never actually heard from- with the word "hater" is like sticking your head in the sand or covering your ears with your hands and screaming "La la la, not listening!" Just because the above-mentioned example might not have a point to make doesn't mean that no one has a legitimate point to make about deficiencies in Halo.

Also, "haters gotta[/gonna] hate" is not the same as saying "It appears we have reached an irreconcilable point and must agree to disagree." It doesn't offer the possibility that the opposition has its own merits, only that the speaker can't be bothered to deal with the opposing point, with the implication that the reason is contempt.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
Nieroshai said:
Escapists, "haters" are those who hate things for absolutely stupid or shaky reasons and are douchebags to anyone who disagrees with them.
I said something against the fans in my posts? where?

1. It's called a "comedy review." It's looking back at nostalgic stuff and getting a laugh at how it isn't as golden as we remember. If you don't find it funny, it is simply not your kind of humor and you should move on to something you do find funny.
Then it's not a review! If you are doing comedy skits (DOCTOR SLEEPL... I MEAN INSANO LOL) then at least do skits instead of letting your bad sense of humor intruding upon the video

2. Random cameo? How about "tight-knit community based on entertaining their fans?" Although, I can't explain their appeal to someone who supposedly has already seen them. It's an acquired taste?
I'd prefer "distracting circlejerk" but random cameo is also good

3. Stupid plotline? Well that's an opinion so it's literally impossible for me to comment on that. There's a ton of fans who love the plotlines, but I guess they're idiots with no sense of true humor, right?

But it's supposed to be a review! not a variety show of questionable humor value!

But your species doesn't listen to thought-out rebuttals. Which is why your title fits

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Or we're calling them haters because they're hating something.

And "hater" haters gonna hate "haters".

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
hem dazon 90 said:
Nieroshai said:
Escapists, "haters" are those who hate things for absolutely stupid or shaky reasons and are douchebags to anyone who disagrees with them.
I said something against the fans in my posts? where?

1. It's called a "comedy review." It's looking back at nostalgic stuff and getting a laugh at how it isn't as golden as we remember. If you don't find it funny, it is simply not your kind of humor and you should move on to something you do find funny.
Then it's not a review! If you are doing comedy skits (DOCTOR SLEEPL... I MEAN INSANO LOL) then at least do skits instead of letting your bad sense of humor intruding upon the video

2. Random cameo? How about "tight-knit community based on entertaining their fans?" Although, I can't explain their appeal to someone who supposedly has already seen them. It's an acquired taste?
I'd prefer "distracting circlejerk" but random cameo is also good

3. Stupid plotline? Well that's an opinion so it's literally impossible for me to comment on that. There's a ton of fans who love the plotlines, but I guess they're idiots with no sense of true humor, right?

But it's supposed to be a review! not a variety show of questionable humor value!

But your species doesn't listen to thought-out rebuttals. Which is why your title fits
Ad hominem. What it is if there are no logical points in the statement. You once again prove my point by rebutting my points with pure drivel and distract from the debate itself. Also, your poster's wit is nonexistant if it does not apply. By the way, stop responding if you aren't going to actually contribute information that shows you know what you're talking about. You're just yelling incoherently at the picture of a redheaded Japanese anime character from here on.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
Ah, I can post one of my favorite musicians again!

OT: I think the expression still stands, it's just a bit worn out by the internet.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
hem dazon 90 said:
Cool cop-out bro. I really dig using big words that you think makes you sound like some kind of intellectual, but really makes you seem elitist.
Wait. Which words in that post were "big" or "elitist"?

I'm genuinely curious here.