Hating a game because it's popular vs hating because it's actually bad?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
There are a lot of games from the past and present that garners hate from gamers. These games are usually hated because of technical, gameplay, or method of monetization. However, there other games that get unfair and honestly over-hatred, just because it's popular.

For example, while Modern Warfare series was hated by everyone I know, almost all of them said"Because it's the same shit every year" and did not provide with a good reason for them to hate the series. The irony was I saw them playing those games after school on their xbox 360. I actually enjoyed the MW series because the campaign was actually written well (when you get past the action sequence), and the multiplayer did provide hours of entertainment.

The hatred for Black Ops 3, and Infinite warfare was understandable because I played and agreed the futuristic setting was kinda stupid. The grounded "realistic" combat was nowhere to be found and what we had now was wall running, lasers, robots, and ridiculous killstreak/class abilities. I know I get easily provoked, but man those futuristic games really made me scream.

Dragon Age 2 was also hated by the majority. I mean sure, the world wasn't as expansive or the companions weren't as interesting, but I still found the city of Kirkwall to be very detailed compared to Denerim from the first game. The combat felt faster and UI and skill trees felt cleaner.

I did not hate Dragon Age: Inquisition on my first playthrough, but after reading and listening to all the negative feedbacks I slowly switched over to the other side. The Character creation is lame, each world was essentially empty, making the game feel like single-player MMO, and the story ended in a very open note.

Mass Effect 3 was and probably still is hated for that ending. But ask yourself; Did you hate the game because it was actually bad, or did you hate it because of the ending? With exception of the ending, the actual game felt really polished. All the characters I've known for previous two games, all the words I've said, and all the actions I've taken had consequences of how ME3 turned out to be. The combat was seriously good.

Mass Effect Andromeda, on the other hand, I completely agree with negative criticisms. The player character looks god awful, characters are boring, exploration feels empty(although the worlds themselves are pretty to look at), and the fact that they pretty much started from square one annoyed me. And they STILL didn't let the players play as the other race (multiplayer doesn't count). Why not? If this was an attempt to grab new fans to the series, don't you think playing as other races would be a good way to explore their culture, politics, and way of life?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
sgy0003 said:
There are a lot of games from the past and present that garners hate from gamers. These games are usually hated because of technical, gameplay, or method of monetization. However, there other games that get unfair and honestly over-hatred, just because it's popular.
I agree there, but the same phenomeon extends to multiple forms of media - books, movies, comics, etc.

That said, what counts as valid criticism is going to differ from person to person. I was baffled as to the backlash to Infinite Warfare, but I say this as someone who's barely played CoD, so it isn't fair for me to say. Likewise, I know that CoD is a punching bag of sorts, but I try to avoid generalizing myself, though I may not always be successful.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Just because something is popular, doesn't mean that hatred for it isn't completely justified. Not everyone is going to like what "you" (anyone really) like... and their opinion is just as valid as yours. There are lots of really vocal haters of some games I really love. Fallout 3 and 4 spring to mind. It doesn't mean their opinions are "wrong" and the games are just "over hated..." I can think of several valid criticisms of both. They just aren't dealbreakers for me. I may not agree with the haters, and their opinions aren't going change mine. But if someone else agrees with a gripe that is a dealbreaker for them... really who am I to judge. If I don't like something and its hugely popular... They aren't "wrong" and the game isn't "over hyped or over loved..." it just shows me that a lot of people sometimes have pretty bad taste in games.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I wouldn't say that I hate the games that keep doing the same thing over and over again, like the Call of Duties and Assassins Creeds, I would say that I am more indifferent to them. I mean, I can't actually hate something that I never have any intention to play.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
sgy0003 said:
The hatred for Black Ops 3...
BO3 was when they utterly ruined the multiplayer side of BO for me, but not for the reasons you'd think. For one, they put in these shitty after-game taunts that CANNOT be skipped and last at least 15 seconds. And THEN they decided to crowbar progression into Private Games where it used to be the place you could depend on to play with bots or your friends with all the stuff unlocked. Now? No longer.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
The thing is. most of popular games are bad. they are praised by critics because they are paid.

especially games from EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Rockstar.

the mid tier developers know how to make good gameplay and level design than those 4 giants combine.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Infinite Warfare was really fun, cod is at its best when it does future stuff... or COD4. Blops 3 was... ok, I didn't really like how the wall running felt, it was done better in Infinite Warfare, but I still think the most that COD needs for movement is the double jump jetpack and sliding from Advanced Warfare.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Hype turns me off especially when people are hyped over trailers of unreleased games. Skyrim and Breath of the Wild fall into this category. People were calling Skyrim Game of the Year in June of 2011 after they saw it revealed at E3, fuckin' stupid! Breath of the Wild was so talked about that I was sick of hearing about it BEFORE it launched. OMG! Another open world game, it's the best thing since.....Skyrim.

Other times the hype works against a released game. For example, by the time I got around to playing Dark Souls I was sick of hearing about it in every fuckin' thread on every fuckin' gaming forum. It did not live up to the hype, how could it. I bought a Switch a week ago and Super Mario Odyssey is in my collection but I haven't played it yet. The only reason I mention this is because the game is not hyped like you would expect which surprises me. It will help the game I imagine to not be hyped.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
sgy0003 said:
Mass Effect 3 was and probably still is hated for that ending. But ask yourself; Did you hate the game because it was actually bad, or did you hate it because of the ending? With exception of the ending, the actual game felt really polished. All the characters I've known for previous two games, all the words I've said, and all the actions I've taken had consequences of how ME3 turned out to be. The combat was seriously good.
Bad example. The complains about Mass Effect 3 come more from their fans than from haters (really, a better example of hating what's popular is Skyrim haters). I have pointed this out before. Although the Vangard class gameplay in ME3 was the most fun of all the series, but the original ending was more unsatisfying and disappointing than I ever expected (I played it the first time in 2015 without the extended ending as spoiler-free as possible). The closest comparably unsatisfying ending I have played has been Metroid: Other M (where you don't even get to shoot the boss in the final battle). At least that one had post-game content, an extra boss and the traditional escape sequence to wash away some of the bad taste; while in ME3, there was nothing after the disappointment (well, unless you put the extended ending, that at least serve to savage some of it). But they both share one thing in common: the more you are invested in the series, the worst those endings will look.

Dismissing valid criticism about ME3 because "people hate popular things" is a misinformed stance.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I don't hate games for being popular, even games I personally don't enjoy. I hate devs and gamers who demand every game be exactly like that popular game.
I hate that because the Devs wanted to get in on the E-sports scene, Dawn of War III was turned into a 40k DOTA skin.
I hate that because Markiplier is a meme-God, Resident Evil 7 was turned into an Outlast clone so he can make memes.
I hate that because PUBG is popular with streamers, Red Dead Redemption is getting a battle royal mode.

But I don't hate those games, I hate what was done to them.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Catfood220 said:
I wouldn't say that I hate the games that keep doing the same thing over and over again, like the Call of Duties and Assassins Creeds, I would say that I am more indifferent to them. I mean, I can't actually hate something that I never have any intention to play.
Pretty much this, but I had to strike out Ass Creed; I genuinely DO hate that franchise. Despite having all of history as source material, Ass Creed pretty much ran out of ideas after the second installment, but still manages to pump out games at a near offensive rate. What?s worse, they walked into a spider web spun of gold with Ass Creed 4 and its pirate and sea-faring stuff, but were all too ready to shoo it all away like a nuisance and proceed to shove more same-y Ass Creed busy work down our throats. FUCK Ass Creed.

One game I am curious why people hate so much is Halo 2. I [was*] a fan of the franchise pretty much since the beginning, and at the time (and imho,) Halo 2 improved on Halo: CE in every way not to mention helped pave the way for the popularity of multiplayer gaming as we know it today. I didn?t mind the cliffhanger ending; if anything it served to wet my palette for Halo 3. Cliffhangers have a been an effective (if frustrating) literary tool forever; I don?t know why Halo 2 is regarded as some gross offender for using one. Another complaint leveled at it is the levels with the Arbiter. I didn?t mind the playing as the Arbiter at all and it was actually nice to see the war from the perspective of the enemy as [he] comes to realize the truth. I loved everything about Halo 2, so imagine my surprise when I see a lot of people listing it as the worst of the franchise especially when the atrocity* that is Halo 5 happened. FUCK Halo 5.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Silentpony said:
I don't hate games for being popular, even games I personally don't enjoy. I hate devs and gamers who demand every game be exactly like that popular game.
I hate that because the Devs wanted to get in on the E-sports scene, Dawn of War III was turned into a 40k DOTA skin.
I hate that because Markiplier is a meme-God, Resident Evil 7 was turned into an Outlast clone so he can make memes.
I hate that because PUBG is popular with streamers, Red Dead Redemption is getting a battle royal mode.

You remind me of my friend, who hates that Metroid Prime was turned into a FPS. I don't know about you and those games, but in my friend's case he never played Metroid Prime because of that; and I feel sad that he missed such great series.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Xprimentyl said:
One game I am curious why people hate so much is Halo 2. I [was*] a fan of the franchise pretty much since the beginning, and at the time (and imho,) Halo 2 improved on Halo: CE in every way not to mention helped pave the way for the popularity of multiplayer gaming as we know it today. I didn?t mind the cliffhanger ending; if anything it served to wet my palette for Halo 3. Cliffhangers have a been an effective (if frustrating) literary tool forever; I don?t know why Halo 2 is regarded as some gross offender for using one. Another complaint leveled at it is the levels with the Arbiter. I didn?t mind the playing as the Arbiter at all and it was actually nice to see the war from the perspective of the enemy as [he] comes to realize the truth.
On those notes:

-Speaking personally, I did prefer H1's multiplayer. H2 is argubaly better "objectively," ranging from vehicle damage, to dual wielding, to the pistol being appropriately nerfed, but H1's multiplayer had a charm to it that H2 didn't have for me.

-I don't mind the Halo 2 cliffhanger, but I can imagine why people are put off by it. Doesn't help that Halo 2 promised that the battle be on Earth, except we leave Earth early on in the game. So now that we're back at Earth, the game just...stops. Just like that. Think of film trilogies, such as Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. While Fellowship/New Hope, Empire/Two Towers do end with "to be continued" feelings, they do their endings gracefully. Halo 2's ending is very jarring in terms of its pacing. So when that's the last thing you're left with, it can colour perception of the product.

-Of the original trilogy's singleplayer, I'd say that Halo 2 has the best story, but the weakest gameplay, and the Arbiter is the reason for both. Storywise, it's good, as he undergoes a character arc, and we get some insight into the Covenant. Gameplay-wise, apart from the Great Schism levels, I find it tedious. The levels aren't as well designed, they're pondrous, and they just don't engage me as much. Speaking personally, on the gameplay side of things in H2, I can only enjoy about half of it. Halo 3 had some dud levels as well, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Xprimentyl said:
I loved everything about Halo 2, so imagine my surprise when I see a lot of people listing it as the worst of the franchise especially when the atrocity* that is Halo 5 happened. FUCK Halo 5.
Halo 5 is to me what Halo 2 is to you - a game I'm baffled about why people dislike it so much. Especially after the "attrocity" that was Halo 4.

Granted, none of these games are as lacklustre as ODST, but that's at least a spinoff.

CaitSeith said:
You remind me of my friend, who hates that Metroid Prime was turned into a FPS. I don't know about you and those games, but in my friend's case he never played Metroid Prime because of that; and I feel sad that he missed such great series.
Really dislike Metroid Prime myself. It's not because it's an FPS, it's because of a plenthora of reasons that make the game a chore to play. And that's just Metroid Prime I'm talking about. I've also had the misery of playing Hunters. :(

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
CaitSeith said:
Silentpony said:

I actually had no problem with the Prime series, because it wasn't following a trend. They were just exploring new ideas and changing up the formula, which I'm not against.
Now if the next Metroid Prime was called Metroid Prime: Melee, and was a FPS class based multiplayer arena shooter, with a wide variety of cartoony, wacky and marketable stereotype characters including the sexy waifus, blue haired girls, gamer girls, a fat dude, one or more gay and/or transgender characters, macho badasses, a robot or two, Freddy Fazbear, Tyrion Lanister, zombies, the little Twitch ghost icon, and fucking Ugandan Knuckles, yeah I might agree with your friend and not play that one.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
MC1980 said:
sgy0003 said:
Oh dear god no. If anything, the ending being '14 year old's first fanfiction after watching Battlestar Galactica' bad whitewashed the rest of the game's writing and presentation, which was quite awful immediately as the game started with the stupid speech that contained stuff like 'we figh or we duy!!!', the Michael Bay dumb action opening with everything blowing up and the random shitkid you're supposed to care about for the sake of shallow melodrama.

It was awful through and through. The ending being awful enough that a lot of normally blind fans noticed it resulted in a hilarious defensive hyperbole where instead of being critical of the prior sequences and realising that the entire game was poor and they let things slide due to hype, they instead stuck their fingers in the ears and started shouting 'the rest of the game was GREAT, 95% WAS THE BEST EVER, PLEASE DON'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME BY MAKING ME THINK ABOUT THE REST OF THE GAME TOO'.

So no, it's not hated because it's popular. Quite the opposite, it's an exceptionally poorly written game laden with awful dialogue and presentation, that people are able to pick apart at ease. A fact that the obsessive however, can't handle, so they repeat platitudes like '95% masterpiece' in the hopes that it eventually becomes true, if all the meanies, I meant 'haters' who are critical of their object of affection shut up and go away.
And yet ME2 gets a free pass because its ending was good. In fact, 80% wasn't good at all. "There's a big destructive enemy somewhere out there. I know what I will do. Chase down thugs on Illium and track down a rogue AI (a repeat from the first game, mind you)" says Shepherd. How does much of ME2 make sense.

I still like ME2, and Horizon is the best stage of the series, way better than the Suicide Mission. But blind like of games like this makes me point out flaws more (you might have seen my previous work with the Witcher 3 and New Vegas)

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
sgy0003 said:

For example, while Modern Warfare series was hated by everyone I know, almost all of them said"Because it's the same shit every year" and did not provide with a good reason for them to hate the series.
This IMHO, is good enough reason. I loved COD 2 and the first Modern Warfare. COD 2 because it finally gave us that polished cinematic WWII game we all wanted. MW because it felt fresh and interesting, took the series in a new direction that did not use nostalgia as a crutch and had some genuinely shocking story moments.

The sequels and CODBLOPS OTOH, while they would've been fine if they existed in a vacuum, felt like I was treading the same ground all over again with slightly different environs, foreign accents, guns and shocking atrocity.

Think about it another way: I loved Dynasty Warriors 5. Loved it, would play again if I knew where it and my PS2 were. I did not buy #6 or any of the other sequels or spinoffs nor did I play any of the games before 5 for more than half-an-hour. It's not that I have not had the opportunity to buy one of the sequels hella cheap, just no interest in doing so because I have not seen a hint of anything new that would do anything but replicate the same experience I had already paid for.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
MC1980 said:
A fact that the obsessive however, can't handle, so they repeat platitudes like '95% masterpiece' in the hopes that it eventually becomes true, if all the meanies, I meant 'haters' who are critical of their object of affection shut up and go away.
I want to disagree with you but then I remember abandoning the game 60% in while I played the first 2 to completion twice. Also, my imported character had evidently come down with a bad case of Mono in the interim period between sequels because he now had chipmunk cheeks.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
I actually had no problem with the Prime series, because it wasn't following a trend. They were just exploring new ideas and changing up the formula, which I'm not against.
Now if the next Metroid Prime was called Metroid Prime: Melee, and was a FPS class based multiplayer arena shooter, with a wide variety of cartoony, wacky and marketable stereotype characters including the sexy waifus, blue haired girls, gamer girls, a fat dude, one or more gay and/or transgender characters, macho badasses, a robot or two, Freddy Fazbear, Tyrion Lanister, zombies, the little Twitch ghost icon, and fucking Ugandan Knuckles, yeah I might agree with your friend and not play that one.
I actually kinda like this idea.

Before you banish me to the moon, hear me out. I wouldn't want Metroid Prime 4 to be this (then again, I'd like Metroid Prime 4 to be different from previous entries, period), or this to be the be all and end all of Metroid, but I could see this working. Have a Metroid arena shooter game where weapon pickups are the equivalent of 'modes' for beam weapons (machine gun equivalent, rocket equivalent, sniper equivalent, etc.), where the character roster isn't what you described, but Samus and other bounty hunters (get the cast from Hunters, add some more, perhaps even dredge up some EU ones). Hunters kind of dabbled with this idea (poorly, IMO), but in theory, I could see this working as a decent Metroid spinoff.