Hatoful Boyfriend Review - Coo and Woo

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Hatoful Boyfriend Review - Coo and Woo

A good laugh with ridiculous characters.

Read Full Article

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Haha, a Pidgeon dating simulator got a higher score than the Sims 4. That's a special kind of insult.

Also I love the idea of a deeper plot actually logically trying to explain the premise through some grim apocalyptic event. Gnarly.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
First thing that came to my mind:
But I recall seeing PBG's... "review" of this game before. Even if it is sort of a parody, I'm not sure how much appeal it has to me, but I have to say this game looks to be a special kind of bizarre. Maybe it deserves some recognition for that.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
My girlfriend and my sister played this game when it originally came out. Shit's fucking hilarious, but I don't think I'd ever play it myself XD

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Fappy said:
My girlfriend and my sister played this game when it originally came out. Shit's fucking hilarious, but I don't think I'd ever play it myself XD
I must have that gif that you have as your profile picture!

OT: Watched Jim's Youtube video of Hatoful Boyfriend on my Xbox. Roommate walked into the living room during one of those scenes where the pigeon is placed beside an anime human version of itself. Awkwardness ensued.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
An Ceannaire said:
Fappy said:
I must have that gif that you have as your profile picture!

OT: Watched Jim's Youtube video of Hatoful Boyfriend on my Xbox. Roommate walked into the living room during one of those scenes where the pigeon is placed beside an anime human version of itself. Awkwardness ensued.
Found it on Tumblr yesterday. Just search Kill la Kill and it should still be near the top of the page.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I watched Jim's playthrough of it and really enjoyed myself, it was one of the funniest videos he's done in quite sometime.

>.>
<.<

Well, I really want to play this game specially since it is on GOG.
Right up my ally too, I like birds, I like funny things with dark pathos, ....I am female.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
This seems like one of those games that I'd watch someone play, rather than buy a copy for myself.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Like a few others I also saw Jim's video on the game and he nailed the target audience in his opening words "Hello you pigeon fuckers!".

Seriously it just seems like there's a flood of joke games at the moment, good for a laugh but not much else. I mean is there really such a big fetish for birds or are people just having a laugh? I suspect it's the latter.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
I thought about buying this VN, but I was too chicken. :B *universal boos*

Anyways much as I'm a fan of VNs, this one is too 'out there' for me and I'm sure most VN fans in general since everyone I mentioned it to has largely the same feelings about it. I get that it's just a joke (at least I hope so, and based on the review it seems to be), but I guess my sense of humor hasn't yet evolved beyond my sense of discomfort that someone might actually find this premise erotic and the joke portion of it can only carry so far before crossing into... places I'd rather not go myself.

Sorry, but I think I'll pass. :/

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Truth Cake said:
I thought about buying this VN, but I was too chicken. :B *universal boos*

Anyways much as I'm a fan of VNs, this one is too 'out there' for me and I'm sure most VN fans in general since everyone I mentioned it to has largely the same feelings about it. I get that it's just a joke (at least I hope so, and based on the review it seems to be), but I guess my sense of humor hasn't yet evolved beyond my sense of discomfort that someone might actually find this premise erotic and the joke portion of it can only carry so far before crossing into... places I'd rather not go myself.

Sorry, but I think I'll pass. :/
Don't worry, nothing in this game is even remotely erotic (well, one character turns out to be a serial killer and then chops you up, so I guess if someone was into that they might find it erotic). The game is entirely about going from one "Holy shit, is this really happening!?" moment of absurdity to another, that actually ends up coming together to provide a surprisingly coherent and well-written plot (well, except for the pudding ending. That just stands on its own).
Xan Krieger said:
Like a few others I also saw Jim's video on the game and he nailed the target audience in his opening words "Hello you pigeon fuckers!".

Seriously it just seems like there's a flood of joke games at the moment, good for a laugh but not much else. I mean is there really such a big fetish for birds or are people just having a laugh? I suspect it's the latter.
It's very much about having a laugh. The entire game is a parody of the dating-sim/visual novel genre, with the various stock character types being applied to birds to highlight how silly/unrealistic they are. Where it gets interesting, though, is that there's an actual plot hidden behind the ridiculous facade, that manages to be surprisingly dramatic while still having the "this is all happening to giant, talking pigeons" layer of absurdity, which definitely helps you to go "sure, why not?" for some of the more out-there plot-twists. Yes, the game has a gimmick, but it doesn't depend entirely on it for its humour or interest value. There's more to it than just "lol pigeons".

Oh, by the way, the game is actually originally from 2011, this is just an HD remaster that solves some of the technical problems and gives some polish to the original version.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Xan Krieger said:

I wanted to see Jim's character try to bang Shuu, but I guess there wasn't enough time. :(

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
My god, Hatoful has actually made it to the big leagues.

And yes, I love this game. A friend and I played it together years ago, and it is a crackalicious delight.