Hatred gets an AO rating, second game in history to get such rating for violent content alone

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/356532461/616199347852163354/

the devs are aiming at an M rating to avoid problems porting the game to consoles in the future

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Did they rate this with a clear mind? GTA V let's me do all of this, as well as brutally torturing someone. How does that get away with an M rating? The torture scene gets some context, but you are not justified in doing it. Just like the MC in Hatred isn't justified. Both games let me mow down innocent people for no reason other than "why not". Why does one get a free-pass when the other doesn't?

I'm seriously starting to believe people are just trying to limit this game's presence for no reason. First it was kicked off Steam greenlite. It came back, but we cannot forget that Steam removed it themselves. Now they're giving it an AO rating, which I've never seen legally obtainable.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Erm... okay?

You basically just posted a link to a link to a picture of someone saying that's what's happened. I can't get a result by searching on the ESRB site for Hatred yet.

To be honest most of the hype from this game is people going `Look how edgy and controversial it is!`.

Maybe they just haven't updated the site yet. Dunno.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add that if it was rated AO I would like to know why, because as controversial as it claims to be, it's not really anything any of us haven't seen before- so I would wonder why it would deserve that rating.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Elfgore said:
Did they rate this with a clear mind? GTA V let's me do all of this, as well as brutally torturing someone. How does that get away with an M rating? The torture scene gets some context, but you are not justified in doing it. Just like the MC in Hatred isn't justified. Both games let me mow down innocent people for no reason other than "why not". Why does one get a free-pass when the other doesn't?

I'm seriously starting to believe people are just trying to limit this game's presence for no reason. First it was kicked off Steam greenlite. It came back, but we cannot forget that Steam removed it themselves. Now they're giving it an AO rating, which I've never seen legally obtainable.
probably because in GTA the objective isnt to kill innocents

i really support what hatred is trying to do, pushing the limits and what not, but this rating could bring them some trouble

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Forget consoles isn't that an issue if they are going to be on Steam? I'm all for taking a stand against the AO mark of death (where no one wants to be associated with you)... but it'd have some more punch it if it was someone more credible taking that stand.

I'll be supporting whoever in future puts themselves in that handicap match to try and win us more variance of moves in the ring. Hopefully they'll be able to find tag partners to try and even the odds a bit... or they can just pull a Ziggler and pin everybody clean alone... that'd work too.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:
i really support what hatred is trying to do, pushing the limits and what not, but this rating could bring them some trouble
Pushing the limits? what limits and how?
shit son did you miss the entire controversy, its like doom all over again, with all the "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!", "OUR IS WHERE OUR SOCIETY IS GOING!" being thrown around

yes its pretty much edgy the video game, but still

the game is extremely violent and its tackling a theme that is often avoided in video games

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It's hard for us to comment on what is basically just the dev saying "oops we got an AO rating". I'd actually need to see what was presented to the ESRB to make any kind of judgement.

Honestly, it makes sense that AO is obtainable through violence alone. Sex is overrated.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:
shit son did you miss the entire controversy, its like doom all over again, with all the "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!", "OUR IS WHERE OUR SOCIETY IS GOING!" being thrown around

the game is extremely violent and its tackling a theme that is often avoided in video games
and what theme might that be?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:

being a mass murderer on a killing spree, killing innocents

usually something you can optionally do in an open world game, but heres the entire point, hell the objective is just to kill as many as possible before the police kills you, from what i understand

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:

usually something you can optionally do in an open world game, but heres the entire point, hell the objective is just to kill as many as possible before the police kills you, from what i understand
I don't get it. I mean it seems like a good idea but from everything I've seen of the game and the developers it just seems like they're doing all of this to drum up controversy around their game so it'll sell more.
I just honestly don't get it. seems like the Gone Home or Dear Esther of the other side.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
I don't get it. The first Postal was literally the same thing and it has an M rating. Why does Hatred get an AO?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Bombiz said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Elfgore said:

I don't get it. I mean it seems like a good idea but from everything I've seen of the game and the developers it just seems like they're doing all of this to drum up controversy around their game so it'll sell more.
I just honestly don't get it. seems like the Gone Home or Dear Esther of the other side.
well lets hope "killing spree simulator" doesnt end up being as boring as "walking simulators" and that they dotn generate as many clones

lets just wait and see if the game is actually decent

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah it sucks, but honestly I'm waiting for the craze around Hated to die down. It feels like it has the maturity of a 13 year old that just learned to cuss, and I'm patiently waiting for everyone to forget it ever existed so we can all move on with our lives.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I always find it weird when games are graded "AO" for violence.

I mean, we have films like Saw which make this look mundane, and yet they're rated "R" or "Anyone under 17 must have a guardian", and rarely ever "NC-17".

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
erttheking said:
Yeah it sucks, but honestly I'm waiting for the craze around Hated to die down. It feels like it has the maturity of a 13 year old that just learned to cuss, and I'm patiently waiting for everyone to forget it ever existed so we can all move on with our lives.
im just waiting until someone mods coldsteel the hedgeheg into the game for maximum edge

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
The Lunatic said:
I always find it weird when games are graded "AO" for violence.

I mean, we have films like Saw which make this look mundane, and yet they're rated "R" or "Anyone under 17 must have a guardian", and rarely ever "NC-17".
jesus i cant stand saw its just too grotesque

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Elfgore said:
Ugh, I'm already getting sick of saying this, but there's a world of difference between a game where you can do all those things and a game where the only objective is doing those things.

OT: Ehh, whatever. It'll be interesting when the reviews come out to see if the fuss was even worth it.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Bombiz said:
True, but there's also the argument to be made that it could be a look into a twisted mind and what led it to decide to do that. Sort of a Mein Kampf style game. Say what you will about Hitler and that book, it answered alot of questions I had about the guy when I was younger and let me understand better how that whole shitstorm happened.

bartholen said:
Elfgore said:
Ugh, I'm already getting sick of saying this, but there's a world of difference between a game where you can do all those things and a game where the only objective is doing those things.

OT: Ehh, whatever. It'll be interesting when the reviews come out to see if the fuss was even worth it.
To be fair, how is that not one of the objectives in GTA? You play mostly unapologetic and violent criminals throughout the series.