"Hatred" Reveal Trailer. Or as I like to call it, "The Next Big Controversy"

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
DerangedHobo said:
Oh I've written plenty of misanthropic rantings in the same vein of the protagonist in my time. Granted I tried to tone down the Linkin Park undertones but nether the less I have written things like that. I think it would be a safe bet to say that this game probably isn't aimed at you but I digress.
I don't believe you. You've been ranting about something you're passionate about this entire time, and I've generally been able to follow your train of thought. I know what you liked about the trailer now, and what you disliked about Hotline Miami, for example. I learned these details by reading your words. If you were ranting like NotImportant, you'd have removed all the nouns and replaced them with words like "things" or "games" so as to make your argument or even your position as vague as possible to pin down. People literally don't talk like that. It defeats the purpose of talking.

In my opinion, the people who think that the only reason people play video games is for violence are fucking stupid.
I agree completely! But then why are you saying you like Hatred? All it does is the violence. It offers nothing else. You could go into Prototype or GTA or any number of other games and shoot up a city. Why choose a game that does nothing but that? What can you do with a game that contains nothing but violence but "play it for the violence?"

It's probably more likely to be for empowerment/escapist fantasies and no matter how much you divest yourself from a certain view, there will always be stupid people.
I'll agree that there are plenty of stupid people in the world. Not really sure what that has to do with anything. And sure, escapism and empowerment of the player are a big part of the appeal of most games where you shoot stuff. The question in my mind is whether or not that's enough to carry a game all by itself. You keep insisting the answer is "yes," and I don't get why.

And when people do demonize a game because it will make their group "look bad" is just weak willed and stopping down to their level.
I'm not demonizing anything. I'm saying it looks like a bad game to me. They're not the same thing.

And once again, if people still believe the stereotype they're stupid. Not to pull the fallacy of relative privation but the thing that insults me is not the laughably bad or insulting intro cinematic it's the fact that the walls are falling down on our heads and two faced mongoloid news outlets who are hypocritical to the point of insanity will demonize the exact same thing that they pedal.
HA! Right there! Do you see what you just did? Did you catch it? You got mad about something. Your views about politics and the media bled through into the conversation for one sentence there. THAT is how ACTUAL people talk, even self-described deranged hobos on the internet. When you say things like that, people get a glimpse into the WHY behind your actions. That's what's missing from NotImportant's speech. It sounds very forced and artificial when you deliberately remove causal words from speech, *especially* someone's impassioned rant.

That's why it doesn't work. Even arguing away on an internet forum, you're a better writer than the guy who wrote NotImportant.

But "having a highly polished story" (which I disagree with when it comes to spec-ops) should never justify playing a game which has poor graphics and even poorer gameplay. Video games are an interactive medium and needs to keep me engaged. The story can suffer, the message may be laughable or non-existent but don't sell me a game that isn't *fun*. That may be a taboo statement but if I don't enjoy playing a game or am not compelled to at least a little bit by the mechanics then it might as well be Dear fucking Esther.
We're actually in agreement on most of that. The only reason I brought up Spec Op's story was because you brought up Spec-Op's story. Can a good story carry a bad game? Certainly not. Can a good story carry a mediocre game? Sometimes. Gameplay and fun are always the most important thing. That's why I've been saying all along that the game doesn't look fun. It looks like they started with a dime-a-dozen GTA clone and then sucked all the life and entertainment out of it. How is that fun? How is 'robotron but everybody runs away in the first five seconds' good gameplay? This just doesn't work as a game. When I've been comparing it to an art experience, I've actually been being charitable. That's probably the closest it comes to holding up.

I meant how many games are doing this now? "There's nothing new under the sun" and this ties in with my point about spec-ops. "War is hell" and "Delusional PTSD Soldiers" is so far from an original idea it's pretty unreal. Spec-Ops the line has pretty poor gameplay, tied in with faux choices that force you to feel bad with a "war is hell" message crammed into it. Jacobs Ladder anyone? William Sherman? Full Metal Jacket? Saving Private Ryan? Downfall?
How many games let you shoot people without trying to make you feel bad about shooting people? Tons. Hundreds. Take your pick man.

How many games are doing the exact opposite by making you the bad guy? Not many, I'll give you that. But I've seen it done better than this. For certain values of "better," anyway. If you don't like the story, mute the sound. If you can't skip the cutscenes, play an older game.

Video games didn't use to be about flag-waving and tugging at your heartstrings. They used to be about figuring out how to pick your way through a level from Point A to Point B without getting killed. I've played Duke Nukem 3D. I've played Fallout 2 and 3. I've played too many Flash games on Newgrounds to mention. I've seen it done before. I've seen it done better. And I've seen it served up with a side of rocket launchers and lasers.

I feel your indictment of modern gaming, but it doesn't follow that just removing all the story or using a nonsense story is necessarily an improvement. There was no need for an opening cutscene at all, for example. Think about that for a moment. Ask yourself, if gameplay is king (and I firmly believe it is,) why did they dedicate 50% of the runtime of the trailer to a cutscene? I'm not trying to convince you of anything at this point, I just want to see what you can come up with. I got nothing.

It should always serve an underlying theme? Why? Why should it? Why does a game need a theme?
Not should. DOES. The theme of Hatred is pretty obviously arbitrary violence. In fact, I'd go so far as to say everything about the trailer DOES reenforce that theme. That's a compliment, in case you missed it. But it's just not DOING anything WITH that theme. It's going out of its way to sit on its hands and do nothing. That bugs me. You're promoting it as a net positive for the game, but why? Because it gets out of the player's way? What is there for you to do other than chase down people you have no reason to chase down? What's the point? Where's the fun? I'm seriously asking. If you have an answer I'd like to hear it. It sounds boring to me.

Why can't it just be violence for enjoyment sake? I never said "violence was the reason we have games in general", I was stating that a game that is nothing but violence has a right to exist and those that state otherwise
Of course it has a right to exist! I'm not calling for any kind of censorship here. I'm just asking *why.* Who thought this was a good idea? Who's it for? What's the point? I don't get it. At first I was offended and a little confused because it looked like the developer was taking the "video games are nothing but pointless violence" talking points and running with them. Then people started saying it was a spiritual successor to Postal. (Which is something I really needed to hear. You should open with that.) Then I started to see how it actually does kinda come together to reenforce a theme. It's just such a dull and pointless theme that I wrap back around to saying "if this was what the original Postal was like, why did anybody buy it?"

Well... psychopaths are a thing, spree killers are a thing. Just because he didn't state a specific ideology and only exhibited a lack of conscience and misanthropy doesn't necessarily mean that people with this mindset don't exist. I get it if we're literally talking about someone who came out of the womb stabbing here but otherwise there are plenty of "sane" people who can do evil things shown in the trailer.
The gameplay part can happen in real life. The cutscene part can't. If it did happen, the rant would have made more sense. NotImportant's words bludgeon the viewer with the theme, which could work if they flowed or felt natural? But nobody talks like that. Seriously. If I was debating this with NotImportant he'd be saying things like "I only play good games? and I'm fed up with bad games being created." Statements that don't actually convey any information. It kills the mood by making you aware of the writer.

But that would be to assume that I am interested in this game because of the protagonist... I really couldn't give a flying fuck about the long haired emo ****. I understand and can relate to the mindset in which you just want to kill people and like you said I'm sure we all can. The only thing I'm "buying into" is the gameplay. I wasn't making any assumptions about serial killers, it was just the opinion I got from the people who didn't like this game because of the violence. I think the protagonist is just the literal embodiment of hatred and rage, when you're insanely mad or hate something it can be "just cause" and that fact is illustrated in his lack of a reason.
Man, we got God of War for that. Why shoot up a storefront when you could be decapitating an entire pantheon?

Also, he's wearing a hoodie. How do you know he has long hair? :p

I never claimed that, maybe the devs did, I was claiming that condeming the violence in this game while giving games like GTA a free pass because they are... "comical" or satirical or that they have extra features like radio stations is pretty fucked up.
Okay. That's good to know. It comes across a lot of the time like the game's only selling point is violence, so let's all have a big round of applause for the most violent game in the room. I need more. Don't you?

I got the impression that the writing was just thinly veiled reasoning so they wouldn't have to put effort into a story but hey, I'm not a writer.
YES.

I got that impression, too.

That's what I don't like about it.

It's. Lazy. And gamers. Deserve. Better.

If only because there are tons of games, old games, new games, that give you stuff to kill and do a whole lot of other stuff at the same time. On a good day, they can even do this without getting in the WAY of the brutal catharsis.

I'm just saying that it knows what it's giving you, it makes no bones about the fact that it is just a murder simulator with some destructo physics and that the simplicity is it's beauty. When everyone is clawing at the idea that "games are an art form" I start to get a feeling of snobbyness in a way. Even GTA V tried to shoe horn in some social commentary and the saints row series has a bunch of pop culture references. I like both of these series but there seems to be an idea that every game needs a theme, every game needs a message or some sort of relevance for it's existence to be justified. While I do like a lot of games that have messages and good narratives it is nice for a game to come along and dispense with all of that.
That's what you would get if there was no cutscene, only gameplay. (Though people might assume it was a military game if you did that. Hmmm.) Instead, they chose to give it a BAD story. NotImportant opens his mouth and my expectations just plummet. I've seen homicidal maniacs portrayed better than this. You can do better, Destructive Creations. Actually fucking try.

As for what I would want in the game, I would like use of vehicles, wide range of melee weapons and firearms, unlockables and possibly a point system thrown in. Environmental effects like spreadable fire etc. would also be a nice addition. As you mentioned earlier it would be boring if it was just bare bones gun + shooting NPCs, I would like a point system and more content but I would still like it to disregard a story.
I think vehicles would turn it into a completely different beast. Armor, speed, AND they don't know who I am until it's too late? Hell, I'll just do laps around the city until I reach 50% population slaughtered. And by that point it's the original GTA.

Somehow I don't think they're going to do that, though. I suspect the levels are always on-foot and closed-off, not open-world. If we're lucky they'll at least branch a little bit. But in theory level design would need to strike a balance between "victims can run laps around the perimeter to avoid you forever" and "victims inevitably end up trapped in rooms at the ends of hallways."

Oh, who am I kidding? They're going to do that last one, aren't they?

And the angry chimp banging on his cage inside my head likes that. He likes that it's just primal heart thumping carnage without some social commentary or pretentiousness or delusions of grandeur. Is it a "good" game? Probably not. Will I enjoy the fuck out of it? Most definitely.
Well, to each their own. I hope you feel like you get your money's worth when the game finally comes out.

Oh, whoops. Don't look now, but the video got marked Private. Cue the Streisand Effect in 3... 2...

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Weaver said:
THAT's what the original Postal looked like!? HA HA HA! I love it! XD Oh my god it's so colorful and scribbly! Look at that little skull in the corner! This literally looks like it was doodled in some kid's notebook. Ha ha ha oh man. This is classic. This is art. I love this. Spoiler tags removed because you guys have got to fucking see this shit. It's amazing. Look at the one little guy standing there with his arms out to the sides like "oshit." XD

Aw man. I needed that. Shit. Is it on Good Old Games? Because now I want to play it. Look at how VIBRANT those oranges are! Fuck the monochrome filter, they should have thrown a crosshatching filter over the whole thing and ramped up the color grading. Hehehe. So that's Postal 1. I had no idea.

Derranged Hobo, if I'd had any idea this was the oldschool game we were talking about, I would have brought up Borderlands! Especially Borerlands 2. It's a perfect example of how you can have the best of both worlds. Deep, compelling gameplay, a narrative that makes sense, and a bonkers crazy world full of stuff you'd never see in real life. And you're constantly gunning down idiots who deserve it. AND, you get a side dose of mortal ambiguity here and there. Yeah, there's a couple parts where it tries to be sad, and yeah, those are the weakest parts of the game, but as a whole it's a lot of fun to play, and somehow shotgunning a ranting, axe-wielding maniac in the face never gets old. In part because they keep dropping new death quotes on you hours into it.

Butcer

Jul 29, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
I don't know if this has been posted. Forgive me if it has, but apparently, these guys are neo-nazis: http://www.playerattack.co.uk/news/2014/10/17/hatred-is-the-neo-nazi-hate-crime-of-video-games/
neo nazi games are not a new thing, zogs nightmare 1&2 and ethnic cleansing were explicitly racist and openly pro nazi

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
I don't know if this has been posted. Forgive me if it has, but apparently, these guys are neo-nazis: http://www.playerattack.co.uk/news/2014/10/17/hatred-is-the-neo-nazi-hate-crime-of-video-games/
Oh. Well that's just peachy. The mainstream news are going to go fucking nuts if they catch onto this. Slim chance that they will but still...

At least I have a perfectly valid excuse to want nothing to do with the game now. I already did, but having a few others is always nice.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I bet the soundtrack of this game will be a compilation of Korn and Limp Bizkit songs

this looks like the type of game angsty teenagers would make because they're so dark and hardcore

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Like I said it looks like Postal to me.
At this point it looks like game lacks self-awareness
Who knows, maybe finished game will have subtle commentary about issues it raises.

That is definitely game that shows why piracy is needed.
If game will lack any common sense and will look like self-absorbed propaganda piece it won't receive my money.
If things are different however, I might consider buying it.

P.S. Also if you watch trailer and feel really bad, congratulations, you are decent human being. If not, it's up to you and your conscience.

P.P.S. One more thing, imagine generic SGWW, but with civilians present, some enemies masking themselves as civilians and permadeath. I'm pretty sure average player would end up massacring everything that moves to make sure he/she isn't killed.

R.K. Meades

Oct 1, 2014
Quite frankly, the game looks incredibly dull and generic. Not interested. The gaming press will lap this (potential disaster) up, mind. Easy clickbait to monetise outrage.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
Other than the absurd introspective and jacked-up atmosphere, ever-increasing realism is joined by society's ever-increasing sensitivities. It's just pathetic and idiotic how selective many people are in what offends them.

It's ripe for ridicule, but anyone taking the time to judge the art should look up a game called Desert Bus. Turn off the music and narration and it's just as meaningless. Cathartic, but meaningless. Maybe the sequel will turn it into more of a puzzle, like the opposite of Lemmings.