have a second language?

Andrecova

Sep 24, 2009
Second language, English.
Third language, well, officially it's French, but I've forgotten most of it by now. I do know the basics of and am in the process of learning Japanese though. My first language's Portuguese, so I can understand Spanish pretty well too.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
micky said:
almost all schools at least teach Spanish but ive seen latin, so what second language do you know? i dont have one but i can speak army phonetics. seirra echo echo tango hotel alpha tango. guess what i just said.
see that.

and i speak Dutch, English, A handfull of german and enough french to know one of em will be trying to kill me XD, and am usuably able to desipher latin ( cause to me it looks like english )
and arrantly the thing you just said. oh, and can write anchient fullthark, does that count?

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
thahat said:
micky said:
almost all schools at least teach Spanish but ive seen latin, so what second language do you know? i dont have one but i can speak army phonetics. seirra echo echo tango hotel alpha tango. guess what i just said.
see that.

and i speak Dutch, English, A handfull of german and enough french to know one of em will be trying to kill me XD, and am usuably able to desipher latin ( cause to me it looks like english )
and arrantly the thing you just said. oh, and can write anchient fullthark, does that count?
well smart ass what does this mean: Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

no using translators my dutch friend :p

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Snor said:
thahat said:
micky said:
see that.

well smart ass what does this mean: Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

no using translators my dutch friend :p
if you can read this..sign?/plate? you can.. something with work latin and a wolf XD?

Xtroni

Feb 20, 2010
In sweden we get to learn english cuz its needed today and we may learn another language in high school like german,frensch or spanish. And in college you can pick up more if you want?

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
micky said:
I think here you're going to reveal the CHASM between North Americans and Europeans. That is, in one area even speaking a second language at a decent level is uncommon, whereas in the other it's expected that one speak their native language, english, and then a couple others...

My English and Spanish are quite good. I can also stumble my way through Arabic and German, and I have a working knowledge of Latin.

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
My main language is Danish, I speak English arguably good, and I speak basic German and I speak a little Norwegian.

Tenky

Apr 19, 2010
If you come from anywhere other than the US, usualy you'll know 2 languages, or at least have functional basics for the second one...

In europe, due to the massive amount of cultures in such a condensed amount of space, it's generaly the norm to be fluent in more than 2 languages.

There's also countries that lists more than one official language, therefore making it's teaching mandatory in a their schools.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Sure I have, French. I also have a third one, English. And a fourth one, Latin. My first language? Why, that's German.

And no, that's not impressive at all, you have to understand that outside of the English speaking world, learning a third language (besides English) is pretty much mandatory. I for one know not a single German under the age of forty who doesn't at least speak three languages.
Jack_Uzi said:
Germans would probably understand me too cause Dutch is a Germanian language.
It is, but that only means that some of the words sound alike. Trust me, it's not enough to actually understand anything.
unless you speak the nothern dialects of dutch, strangely enough, most germans can actualy understnad that, though they dont know why XD

TobintheGnome

Jun 3, 2010
I'm a middle class, mid-South residing American and therefor only speak English. Took Spanish in High School and college, but remember very little.

Vannieljevla

Dec 1, 2009
thahat said:
unless you speak the nothern dialects of dutch, strangely enough, most germans can actualy understnad that, though they dont know why XD
If you mean Frisian, that actually obtained status 'language'. But nobody, and I mean NOBODY understands the southern NL accent (limburg). It sounds a bit like dutch-german-french orgy, but knowing these three languages still can't let you understand limburg-ish.

OT My main language is dutch (very cheaply, I also know flemish). English second. And since a year have been working in Germany, so kinda learned that too.
School should have learned me to speak French, but... yea. They failed. Though I think I still remember some very important common things, like 'Je ne parle pas francais' and 'Qu est-ce que ce'... think i misspelled that one.

Also, I know that baka in japanese means idiot, while in Russia you say it as a good bye (had fun with someone's mom with that xD)
And arigatou in japanese means buhbye, but in.. moroccan or berber.. it means 'gimme a cookieh'

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Vannieljevla said:
thahat said:
If you mean Frisian, that actually obtained status 'language'
.SNIP'
no, i dont count frysian, i said dialect, not alien godforsaken language that not even a cryptologist could decipher on a good day... after smoking to much weed.
i ment drents or gronings, 'plat'( flat, for you english folk) in general would be a better description though.

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
Sougo said:
Corum1134 said:
I'm American so knowing or even wanting to learn a new language is rare. I'm currently learning Japanese and am actually posting this on my last day visiting Japan.
How do you find Japan? Friendly? awesome? hostile? indifferent?
Always wondered how Japs treat foreigners, and have always wanted to visit japan
Most are the friendliest people I have ever met. I got a few cautious glances from some of the older people though.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
I can speak some German. It used to be near fluent but i haven't spoken it in a long time.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
I live in America and all m foreign language classes have been terrible. You learn nothing. Most people have been taking the same language in school for about 10 years, but its hard to find somebody who is actually bilingual. I hate it.