Have we learned nothing? (Or: SW:ToR - Retarded Monkeys?)

satansmurf

Dec 25, 2009
I would like to thank BioWare and whoever else is in charge of Star Wars: The Old Republic for leaving such gaping holes in planning and design, this post was possible to dream this up in my beer fueled "SW:TOR is down for maintenance" noggin. I say whoever else, because I am not sure if Lucas Arts, Turbine, Sony, a small group of self-loathing hampsters or retarded monkeys were in on the release of it... Probably the latter. But I also don't care. It is a game, I am playing it and it has some weird things that bug the hell out of me.

That said; let me wander into ban stick wonderland...

Four points. Then I will explain what I mean.

1. It is 2012. (Which also means it is not 1997, 1999 or 2004.)
2. All servers have a clock and not everybody lives in Chicago.
3. Time zones matter.
4. It should only take a single registration to buy/play/give feedback on a game.

The user interface (UI) in SW:TOR makes me wish it was 1997 when Everquest came out. Everquests was better. So was Asheron's Call (1999) and World of Warcraft (2004.) And even if you hated them, at least AC and WoW let you write tools to make them suck less. But SW:TOR is sort of like nobody even bothered to look at another MMORPG for UI design and features.

It so completely lacks features that every other game has migrated towards, I just can't even figure out how to phrase my bewilderment. I didn't play other Star Wars games, so maybe this is common .. Well, maybe I did, but it was on controllers... Which might explain the UI sucking so bad on PC. But christ on a stick, my dog could have put in a better user design experience than what they shipped.

I feel like I stepped through a time warp into games from a decade(s) ago. (And not even talking about the shadows, water or other sub-par graphics, UI and functional bug - just the UI.)

25% of the US lives in Central Standard Time. The rest of the country is only remotely aware of Central Standard Time because it is always called out as having a different time than the entire rest of the country for everything that happens. "This Tuesday at 8PM! (7 Central!)"

I used to travel a lot and have to reset myself across the international dateline. It was somewhat odd to realize I knew more about that than what the hell CST is and what time it is there. (Is there ever a CDT? Do they have daylight savings time? Do they ignore it and that is why it is always an hour off? I don't know. Then again, I also don't care.)

Why the would you post server maintenance time in a zone that pretty much nobody but the people that live there give or know a shit about? For one hundred thirty fucking years this country had figured out everything from Eastern Time and the rest of us can do our automatic math to fix the time in our heads. Hell, sorting out GMT is more automatic than CST.

Create server time. Or post in EST like everyone else on the planet.

There are West, East and a few EU flavors of servers based on time zones and/or languages. Put an asterix on them at least that states that the time zone of the server means nothing to downtime and maintenance. You are kicking the west coast gaming population in the nuts at midnight (PST! (Hah!)) for weekly maintenance because either (a) the design was poor and you have to take it all down at once or (b) you don't really care about your player base and assume it will suffer in silence and keep paying. It can't imagine downtime through 4PM in the EU is popular either.

Why are you taking them all down at once? Why do you prefer EST gamers over PST? Why do you seem to hate the EU?

Why is this even a problem in 2012? (See #1 above.)

When they went down tonight, I actually thought about firng up other subscriptions and cancelling this one. I only didn't because I thought I had more to see in this game. But getting the boot part way through my gaming night for no particular reason other than "we are lazy" won't keep some gamers around. Or happy if they do stick it out.

I gave up trying to post on SW:TOR forums. Admins kept yammering on in chat or in game messages about forty fuckign steps I had to go through to make my account work on the forums. Why?

Really. Why?

When I log in with the account that I use to pay money for the game, how absolutely shitty is your website that I have to do anything else to make a post?

Otherwise having fun. Flame on!

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
believer258 said:
So let me get this straight: you do enjoy the game, right? I mean, you did say "otherwise having fun", but you spent an entire post ranting on time zones and UI's. If those and the forums are the only real problems with the game, then it must be a damned good one.
or maybe hes doing something the rest of gammers are afraid to do, complain about the bad features in game he likes

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Ummm CST is odd?
I see it on TV all the time, X show is on at "Y" CST.
Also my server says server goes down at PST times...so yea.
The only point I can honestly give you is (1), the rest are just personal gripes, and there are bigger problems in game then you taking an extra step to register on the forums or dealing with time zones.
Also I don't know where this everything is based on EST time comes from, most companies end up being based in CA and things like contact times are all on PST.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Hmmm... I was under the impression everything that mattered in the world worked on Zulu (or UTC as its also known) time... Which is the starndard worldwide time, and is what all other international times work off... The US runs between Z-4 and Z-8 depending on where you are and what time og year it is. Zulu time comes from Grenwich Mean Time (GMT) which is the standard UK time, but because of daylight savings GMT and Zulu are only the same in winter!

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Metalhandkerchief said:
satansmurf said:
Hi,

I am from Norway. I know what CST is. Get an education.

Other than that, I can agree with some of your post - and add - SW:ToR is a pretty rubbish game.
He never said anything about not knowing what CST is, his complaint is based on the fact that CST is generally not considered "common", and as such is more annoying as most people (or at least him) are not used to comparing that particular time zone to their own.

In any case, your insult is misplaced, but it is indeed a whiny nitpicking complaint to be making. Honestly, for points 1 & 2, fine. If the UI and forums could be better then whatever, valid points. But 2 & 3? Complaining about time zones and the selections for downtime? Seriously, get the fuck over it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I won't comment on SW:TOR because it has become a flameboy favorite these days.

But it is quite funny homuch bad game design is kicking around after so many years of game building experience behind us, seems everyone wants to reinvent the wheel and noone thinks twice why the round shape worked well.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Who gives a shit about this anyways. You're as nit-picky over schedules and organizing as Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory.

Or is this a lame joke all along?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Yeah, the game is fairly shit. I'm surprised that after spending THREE HUNDRED FUCKING MILLION DOLLARS this is the best Bioware could come up with.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Wear a watch and get on with the game. Also, if every server has central time as their main time, then that becomes server time, right? It can't be that difficult for an 'merican to keep track of 2 numbers instead of one..

The game is less than 2 months old, modding support will probably aded on later in its lifespan.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
out of all the mmo's ive played i am enjoying swtor the best becasue it actually has a story and the quests have purpose.

sure its not perfect but neither is any other game out.
adjustments will be made in time i'm sure.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I looked at it. The graphics are too cartoony and the world seems empty. Plus the monthly fee. I hate monthly fees.