Have you ever avoided something because of its fanbase?

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
I avoid Tobuscus or whatever that guys name is videos (I suppose the fanbase for it is rather small but meh) because I have a few friends who like it and they speak absolute SHIT which turns out to be Tobuscus related. So I avoid it so I have an excuse to avoid those conversations they have that sound on-par of a retard saying 'nugget and biscuit' over and over again.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Matthew94 said:
The entire MOBA genre.

Also, games where the lead dev is an asshole like Braid.

Also MLP though e flip side is would never have heard of it if it wasn't for the bronies.
YEah basically this... though the anime fanbase is one reason I don't actively watch it anymore... though I still have my favorites...<.<

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shuguard said:
Yes!!! I have avoided the rest of the mass effect series(only finished #1), the entire halo series, MLP, MOBA's, Naruto, and Bleach. Though the last two probably weren't about the fanbase so much as the actual show, but they were still a part of it.
why Mass Effect? because of the crazy people obessed with cxharachters?

thats really only on the Bioware forums...

I sound hypocritical now, don't I?

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Vault101 said:
This is exactly why I don't watch any anime/read any manga. I know a couple of people who pretty much refuse to acknowledge any piece of media if it didn't originate in Japan, and it pisses me off that they're so narrow minded. That said, the only "anime" I watch would be Studio Ghibli stuff, and maybe a couple of the classics like Gundam or Astro Boy.

Fully aware of the hypocrisy in blasting someone for being narrow minded and then saying "I'd only watch X..."

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Well, I?ve never even watched My Little Pony, but I now loathe it because of all the fucking memes, the weird fanart, and how much its fans unnecessarily bang on about it in completely unrelated topics.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I tend to not allow somethings fan base sway my thoughts on, in very least, trying that something. Whether it's a game, show, movie, book series, band, or what-have-you.

However, there are a few exceptions. For example, I avoided the original DoTA like the plague.

At first the game concept sounded intriguing enough. And, though I wasn't a big fan of Warcraft 3 (always been more of a Starcraft/Diablo fan), I did want to try it out.

However, I made the mistake of making my first experience with the map mod be talking with, reading forum comments from, and watching videos made by the fan base.

Dear God, I don't think I ever changed my mind as fast as I did that day. I essentially swore off anything DoTA related from that day forward.

Thankfully, after giving the likes of Rise of Immortals, Dota 2, and others a go, I'm starting to become a fan.

Still hate the community though.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
MLP for sure. At this point, it could be the best show ever and I wouldn't care because I can not convince myself that counting me among its fans is worth it.

I think Twilight fell in the same category, because I used to be interested in what the story was outside of how the fanbase was portraying it. I was flabbergasted at how good the Harry Potter series was, and there were a lot of parallels to how I found out about each franchise. Thankfully I had a few people give me a synopsis of Twilight, so I know it's just shit and the fanbase is almost the best thing about it.

On the topic of games, I know Halo and CoD turn me off greatly because of their fans, but as time went on, there was more I found wrong with those series at their core that turned me off more than the fans. At this point, I'd love to have Halo back as the king of console FPS games, because there are still things about it I can totally stand behind.

GistoftheFist

Jan 6, 2012
I feel the need to have to add a new fanbase I dislike to my list, and that is the P90X fanbase. I have no problem with P90X at all, it's a great program which does produce real results and has changed lives for the better. But the thing I have a problem with is the "Team Beachbody" hordes who swarm every single Youtube video, news article about Tony or Beachbody products, and constantly flood every fitness thread or topic online.

The reason for this is because they need to add more people to their pyramid scheme. (They call it multi-level-marketing, but we all know it's a pyramid scheme and no fancy title will change that.) Salesmen and recruiters call themselves "coaches" and want you to sign up to be a coach too, so they can get higher up on the pyramid and have more people below them. Look up any other pyramid scheme and you'll see the same thing; someone who recruits other people to sign up and harass everyone they know to sign up and join the team, so they can sign up other people too.(CutCo knives anyone?) Currently they peddle Shakeology, stating it has all kinds of health benefits and can make you stop smoking and feel better and live longer. (Which people do the same thing with the Acai juice or Goji berry juice)

I really hate how these people hijack videos or threads with their desperate recruitment pitches, and feel sorry for people who actually fall for it.

pyrox52

May 3, 2012
Obligatory MLP answer.I like the show but the fanbase can get crazy. Unfortunately, I could only find normal bronies on MLP related stuff so that kept me away. On the other hand the crazies showed me the show so theres that

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
Probably My Little Pony. I've watched some of it, but I don't really discuss it because I know I'll get pounced on by the weirder segments of the internet.
Captcha: hobby-horse, how nice.b

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I read the first four Harry Potter books as a little kid, saw the first movie at midnight but then I grew up (middle school) and the LOTR became way cooler to me. Anyway when I considered getting back into it and at least watching the other movies, one look at the fanbase made me decide against it. Half are actually fans who cared about the books and are just stoked to be seeing the films, which I'm cool with. The other half are like college level kids who never read the books but bro, magic is so tight! And that one chick is like a total witch babe! Think I'll pass, it became too much of a Facebook series for me (as in something that is talked about on Facebook simply because it is popular and sure to garner attention from your followers).

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
FamoFunk said:
No. There would be a lot of things I love that I wouldn't get to watch or play any more if I did that.
Off topic.......... but where did you get that avatar.

Cameron Everett

Apr 2, 2010
Not so much in movies and TV I'll give anything a shot really, but some games have such a douche-y community or fanbase that I just won't play them....ever. (most any FPS multi-player and LoL) and even in games I play like WoW or SW:TOR I'll turn off the chat quite often or have a guild/friends only chat window.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I'd say I've avoided a movie like Boondock Saints due to its fans. I know I'll see it eventually, but every fan of that movie is so hardcore!!!! that I honestly don't feel like forming an opinion. The same with American History X. What if I don't like it? I saw Fight Club and didn't like it, so now there's a huge barrier between me and the fans of that movie.

I've also never played a Final Fantasy game. They look stupid to me (hey, I'm allowed to be dismissive) and (some) fans of that seem to act like it's the only video game series ever made. I'd apply that to most JRPGs, but in that case, I tried something like Chrono Trigger and just didn't care for it.

Also, My Little Pony fans. They are the most defensive people on the internet, which is saying a lot. I like children's animation, too, but I don't bring it up at the slightest provocation (isn't Tron Legacy great?) and I don't get all pissy if someone says it sucks. There appears to be a self fulfilling novelty to say "I'm a (insert age here) year old man and I love this show, even though it's for little girls!!!!" I have an older sister and I liked a ton of stuff she was into when I was growing up, so there's not a major significance to enjoying media outside of its intended demographic. I regularly wear Space Channel 5 and Harvest Moon T-shirts that she gave me. I generally prefer movies with predominantly female casts. It's not a big deal.

Hell, I used to play with her My Little Pony dolls when I was 10. She had like a horse bath set thingy where you could wash them. It smelled neat and it was fun. I didn't give a shit then that it was for girls and I don't give a shit now.