Have you ever bought a game on the advice of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Taern

Dec 22, 2008
Saints Row 2. A friend was talking about how good it was, but Yahtzee was what convinced me to get it.

I don't agree with his opinions particularly often, but I do enough that it's worth listening to him as a reveiwer, for me.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Haven't BOUGHT anything but I'll give something a shot (via a demo or whatever) if Yahtzee gives it a nod.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Nope. I'm not particularly likely to, either. Mr Croshaw and I seem to have very different taste in games. I have, however, bought games based on traditional-style reviews by Escapist staff, all of which have been very good.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Yeah - one: No More Heroes for the Wii. At that point I hadn't used the Wii for ages, so I was looking for a game to try.

I don't fault him for liking No More Heroes but that game was NOT for me. Hack'n'Slasher's rarely are the sort of game I like, so I should have given it more thought before buying it in the first place. NMH is a good game, if you happen to like that sort of gameplay. I don't.

Aside from that, no - he hasn't caused me to buy any games that I wasn't already going to buy. For that matter, he hasn't prevented me from buying a game I was going to buy. His commentary is interesting, mostly insightful, but he's his own person, as I am my own person. I like different things than him. Simple as that.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I've been trying to hunt down ICO and Shadow of the Colossus for a while now. Still no success. :(
And I was weighing back and forth whether to buy Second Sight or not, but then Yathzee said in an XP that he liked it , so I bought it. It was so worth it! (and it was really cheap too ^^)
EDIT:
I also bought Beyond Good&Evil becasue of Mr. Crowshaw.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
I Guess I bought Silent Hill 2 not only because of what he said but also what I heard from almost everyone on this board. What a waste of £10 that was.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus and Silent Hill 2 are both games that I picked up because Yahtzee repeatedly gave good opinions of them. And I loved both of them. In all honesty, I've never once found Yahtzee to be wrong about his criticisms of any game he's reviewed that I've played, even the ones I really liked. When you get right down to it, he writes negative reviews because we demand it of him and he does admit when a game is fun to play, even if he has so much bad stuff to say about it. He's a legitimate game critic as far as I'm concerned, you've just got to read between the lines with him because he has really high standards, as a critic should.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Nope, I haven't. I downloaded 'Trilby: The art of theft' though. I guess you could say I did it on the advice of Yahtzee.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
The only game I got after his review was the orange box. He did have a little say in it, after all I had intended to get it, he is just the force that got me off my ass? So he only sold me on need to get it now. Does that count?

gristledemon

Jul 4, 2010
ahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahah WTF? why would anyone care? He is a critic and a damn funny one.
most of the time the games he is bashing are ones I enjoy but its how he makes fun that i like.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
No i have not. Because i buy games on only one person's opinion and advice...my own.
I agree completely. I don't watch Zero Punctuation for the actual game review parts, I watch it for the humour.

My opinion of a game is never based off of a review and how anyone can base theirs off one is beyond my comprehension. When I hear of a game, I instantly make a judgement of whether I think I'll enjoy it or not. I base this off of it's genre, whether I've played it's predecessors, the company behind the game, etc. This narrows down my scope of interest a lot.

But anyway, no, I have not done anything based off his advise, or anyone else's.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I got Saints Row 2 because of him and it's pretty damn fun.

I say trust his good reviews, but his bad reviews are just entertainment.

omega247

Apr 12, 2010
As with most of the people here I picked up Saints Row 2 because of him (and in my mind it is better than GTA IV)

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
I must be in the minority here, but I bought Saint's Row 2 on his and other places' advice, and didn't like it. Sure, it was fun, but the fun factor couldn't outweigh the loose driving and rubbish weapons handling. Unfortunately I can't get rid of it until I'm 18, haha.

Apr 24, 2008
No way, he makes comedy, that's all I watch for.

I've been playing for so long, I can pretty much tell if a game is good or not just by seeing it in action.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I actually bought Dark Void because it was cheap and he said it had some pretty cool jetpack parts... I think he oversold it a bit...