Have you ever discovered a hidden gem of a game?

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
kyosai7 said:
I'll also throw in Arc Rise Fantasia. It's a JRPG on the Wii. The graphics and art style are similar to the Tales games, but this game has atrocious voice acting, sadly. It has a fun combat system, an interesting story, and a very in depth customization system. REally recommended if you can get used to the voices.
Really? I mean I have the game and I supposed I got into it at first but I never finished it. That is partly because I discovered TF2 around that time, but also there were quite a few things about it I didn't like. Yeah there was the voice acting and all but that didn't bother me unduly. What I had more of a problem with was the story (it was a little too convoluted and not terribly interesting) and although I did enjoy the battle system, magic just felt a little too wimpy and useless overall to be of much interest for me (and I really like using magic). So tell me, is it just not my thing or does it improve after the first few hours?

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I found a random game called Rise of Legends (Made by same people who made Rise of Nations) for $10. It is interesting with a city based-district building system with battles of Steam Punk, Egyptian myth, and Aztec sun gods on crack.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
erttheking said:
I find myself enthralled with an old game for the SNES called UN squadron, not sure if that one counts.
I love that game. So. Much. MICKEYYY!!!

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Yep. My cousins had a copy of "Gubble", the best Pacman variant ever, bar none.

http://www.mudduckgames.com/images/games/gubble_scrn02.jpg

It's old, but it hasn't lost an ounce of awesome.
I'm getting serious Deja-vu here, was it you that said that this was a Pac-Man clone in another thread?

If so, for the last time, IT'S A CRYSTAL CASTLES CLONE!

(It's also a name of a good band, but that's besides the point)

Okay, now go back to you're corner, and wear you're Dunce's hat like a good boy (I kid, I kid).

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
ConstantErasing said:
kyosai7 said:
I'll also throw in Arc Rise Fantasia. It's a JRPG on the Wii. The graphics and art style are similar to the Tales games, but this game has atrocious voice acting, sadly. It has a fun combat system, an interesting story, and a very in depth customization system. REally recommended if you can get used to the voices.
Really? I mean I have the game and I supposed I got into it at first but I never finished it. That is partly because I discovered TF2 around that time, but also there were quite a few things about it I didn't like. Yeah there was the voice acting and all but that didn't bother me unduly. What I had more of a problem with was the story (it was a little too convoluted and not terribly interesting) and although I did enjoy the battle system, magic just felt a little too wimpy and useless overall to be of much interest for me (and I really like using magic). So tell me, is it just not my thing or does it improve after the first few hours?
I got about 20 hours in and lost interest because of other releases, myself. I succumb to SO much FOMO with gaming, and I've recently realized this. Anywho, once you get your first summon, whose name I forget, along with the way to actually summon them in battle, the game really picked up for me. It was good, although areas did drag. But yeah, it really improved for me, especially when someone you meet betrays you. I'm not saying anything more, and I don't think that's spoiling too much... But yeah, it was something I didn't see coming, and I'm thinking of going back to it now...

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I loved it when I was barely a teen and I was just starting to become a gamer. I would find some really crazy awesome games like "Destroy All Humans!" and "Pikmin 2".

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Okay okay bare with me here an oldy but a goodie

http://farm.avocadolite.com/game.phtml

Avacodolite farm; free, excessively cute and HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. You have been warned.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
kyosai7 said:
There's also Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. It's, literally, LotR: The turn based RPG. There are no towns, though, so you find everything in dungeons. You're a party that follows the actual Fellowship, while helping out in battles with them, such as being Gandalf's back up against the Balrog. there's also an "Evil Mode" Where you play through random battles as monsters, fighting the main party. Beat them, and you'll unlock special equipment for you to use in the main game. I wish more games did something like that.

There's a bunch more I could recommend...
Someone else has heard of this game yes. It wasn't the worlds best but it was a hell of a lot of fun and I enjoyed the hell out of it, even killed the Great Eye, canon be damned. If I had to come up with a hidden gem, the best I can think of is Folklore, not sure if anyone one else bought it, don't really care, it has interesting combat and a clever little story and it's worth taking a look.

Sixth Sense

Dec 20, 2011
Here's my small yet AMAZING list (note the majority have some kind of problem but if you get pass that you will LOVE IT)

The World Ends With You (absolutley amazing game, for me it's the best DS game in existence)

Last Remnant (XBOX 360, for some reason didn't get good reviews and had no commerical awarness it's hidden but you can easily lose 50+ hours with just the sidequests, great story, etc)

Drakengard 1 & 2 PS2(also SE hidden game but a really addictive one, the second one is way better but i suggest playing the first one to see the badass pro.)

Star Ocean, Till the end of time and new hope PS2-XBOX 360(really immersive gameplay wise, that's if you don't mind semi-unintresting characters, and long intro)

Shinobido Way of the Ninja PS2(amazing ninja game, good graphics, nice ragdoll physics, and one of the best stealth games ever, oh you get to controll the ongoing war with your actions so make sure not to get seen!)

Way of the samurai 1 & 2 PS2(amazing and utterly the BEST samurai game i have ever played, same guys from shinobido, but just generally better in everything, once again you controll your the war thus your destiny, oh i personally like the first a little bit more than the second)

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Sixth Sense said:
Way of the samurai 1 & 2 PS2(amazing and utterly the BEST samurai game i have ever played, same guys from shinobido, but just generally better in everything, once again you controll your the war thus your destiny, oh i personally like the first a little bit more than the second)
Hey, how's Way of the Samurai 3? Would you know? I have 2 and love it, but thought about getting 3....

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Hands down, Touhou 12.3 - Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. I jumped into it not knowing what the hell it was or even what the fuss was about. I found out that it was a very unique game worth sinking a lot of hours into.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
They're mainly old.... But I prefer the old games to (most) new ones...

Tyrian is a top-down world-scroller where you play as a space-ship that you can upgrade all kinds of weapons and little add-ons...

One Must Fall is basically Tekken/Soul Calibre/Street Fighter/Whatever back on PC... I can't remember when those series started, but this one is fairly old... Except instead of fighting as people, you're in robots... some are pretty cool...

And finally: Abuse
It LOOKS like it was meant to be AVP, since you look like a predator and you're fighting what looks like alien... But, that's a bit of a mystery... Side-scrolling, point-and-shoot gameplay, tonnes of weapons, about 20~odd levels that are infuriatingly difficult... Seriously, check it out... This is Freeware too, so, nothing is illegal!

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I got it as a gift from a friend about a year and a half ago. It was a PC game, and one of the few I could run on my computer.

It was Neverwinter Nights 2. The expansion, Mask of the Betrayer is my favorite game of all time.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
erttheking said:
I find myself enthralled with an old game for the SNES called UN squadron, not sure if that one counts.
it counts i say, great shooter, if your on an SNES kick and want another shooter thats lesser known, Phalanx is a good one

Shark Wrangler said:
Lets get the train a rolling on games alot of people probably have never played.

1. Secret of Evermore(Super Nintendo)

2. Little Nemo: The Dream Master(Nes)

3. Einhander(Playstation)

4. Blastcorps(N64)

5. Magical Drop 3(Neo Geo)
Evemore was >.> odd, and not as good as Secret of Mana imo

I used to own Little Nemo, also odd, but fun, beat it several times

Einhander, best shooter ever made far as I'm concerned, hard to believe it was made by square

correct, i never played blast Corps

I had a friend who was collecting Neo Geo games, and Magical Drop was one of them don't remember if it was 3 or not, but i know he had a couple of them

how about:
Dragon's View? (SNES)
Demon's Crest? (SNES)
Robotrek?(SNES)
Treads of Fate? (PS1)
Brave Feancer Musashi (PS1)
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen? (PS1 or SNES)
GI Joe? (NES, ether games)
Iron Tank? (NES)
Shatter Hand? (NES)

anybody?

cantdoright

Apr 15, 2009
One of my favorite games of my youth. It's called Blazing Dragons and is a great point and click adventure for the PS1/Sega Saturn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP22bnMpjlk&feature=related