Have you ever discovered a hidden gem of a game?

Madhawk

Nov 26, 2011
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story is one of my favorite games of all time. I found it about 3 months ago when i was bored shitless and looking through a ROM list of GBA games to download. I found this game, which I decided to give a try and absolutely fucking loved it. Light humor is plentiful, it is very aestheticly pleasing for a GBA game, its combat system is rockin', and it is a very unique game, both setting and gameplay-wise. Then there's the characters which are moderately deep, but even more importantly, likeable.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
One that I remember was back on the SNES called Illusion of Time (Illusion of Gaia for the Americans) by Square Enix I think. I picked it up because looking at the screen shots on the back, it looked a bit Legend of Zelda-ish and I had just finished A Link to the Past. Despite the fact that it was a bit short and linear, I loved it, it had such a good story (for an RPG) and beat it over and over again.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
wow i wouldn't consider a lot of those games hidden gems i mean the homm series as a hidden gem?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
erttheking said:
I find myself enthralled with an old game for the SNES called UN squadron, not sure if that one counts.
Yes, right here. That game is awesome. It is a seriously underrated SNES classic. My brother just posted a run of the game on youtube actually just using the first ship.
In the same vein, check out Bio Hazard Battle for Sega Genesis. I think it is called Crying in Japan. That game is awesome.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Deadly Rooms of Death [http://drod.net/]. Easily one of the best puzzle games I've ever played, partly because it's all wrapped up as a dungeon crawler.

The Fool's Errand [http://www.thefoolandhismoney.com/01-the-fools-errand/index.htm] is another, and it's straight puzzles. It's several small puzzles, which are part of a few larger puzzles, which combine to be a single massive puzzle.

Pipewalker [http://pipewalker.sourceforge.net/]. It's based on an old shareware game called Netwalk, and the idea is that you need to rotate cables to connect all the monitors to the server. Makes for some really nice puzzling.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
I call the 'Used PS2 selection' in my EB Games the hidden gem section. Nearly everytime I look, there's something new and interesting. Last week I found The Suffering: Ties That Bind, I didn't even know they made another Suffering game!

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I just found another one last night at GameStop: IGPX: Immortal Gran Prix on PS2. I bought it for $6, and didn't expect much, being based on the anime, but it's actually really fun. It's combat racing, in mechs! Fun stuff, and TOTALLY worth my $6

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
crazyfoxdemon said:
Mischief Makers for the N64.. I don't think many people played it.. But I absolutely loved it.
That game was awesome!

"Help me Mariiiiaaaaaaa!!!!"

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Fappy said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
Mischief Makers for the N64.. I don't think many people played it.. But I absolutely loved it.
That game was awesome!

Yeah, it's one of the few 2d platformers I actually like. It had wonderful characters and environments.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
Lilani said:
I found the singing vortiguant in HL2 this week. He actually has a LOT of dialog, and it's a very interesting encounter.
If you bug the vortigaunt in New Little Odessa until he recharges your suit, afterwards he'll turn into the All-Knowing Vortigaunt and say all his lines.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Instead of single game i'd like to present games made by Cryptic Comet.

http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/AE/armageddon_empires.html
War between up to 4 factions (human, aliens, cyborgs, mutants) in postapocaliptic wasteland.
Essentialy it's turn based game that takes place on hex grided map.
Heavy use of cards, dices, micromanagement with plenty of options.
<spoiler=Screenshot>http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/XenopodAdvance.jpg

http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/SI/Solium_Infernum.html
Similar to AE, but in fantasy setting. It's dark, hellish themed game.

<spoiler=Screenshot>http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5967/decarabia.jpg

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (Lucifer's Call)

An underrated masterpiece. The battle system is somewhat superior to that of the brilliant persona games, as you can recruit demons to fight for you as opposed to humans briefly summoning personas. And that is so freaking awesome.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
1. Nier (PS3)--fantastic action-adventure for grown-ups who like complex characters and stories
2. Hunted: The Demon's Forge (PS3)--nice little action dungeon-crawler with excellent art design and good characters
3. Death to Spies 1 & 2 (PC)--very good and very challenging Russian spy games

DSK-

May 13, 2010
BlackWidower said:
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Found it one day at a BlockBusters (this was a long time ago) for ten bucks. Fell in love almost immediately. I say almost because I had to start playing it first. I don't understand why this game isn't more popular. I blame marketing.
I remember being addicted to the demo when it was a few months before it was to be released. Really a great game.

"Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you :("

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Undead Knights on the PSP-Yeah, it's a fairly mindless hack and slash, but it's a mindless hack and slash where you can turn enemies into your own personal zombie army. Also, the soundtrack is by a band called Lightning Swords of Death. Awesome.

Red Ninja: End of Honor on PS2-The graphics were mediocre and the camera sucked, but I loved this game. Kurenai, a female ninja clad in a skimpy red kimono, came equipped with handy wire weapon that allowed plenty of ways to impale, decapitate and even hang enemies which made non-stealth combat much more fun then in Tenchu.

Trapt on PS2-Tecmo's fourth Deception game had some slowdown and camera issues, but leading enemies into traps, especially the killer Dark Illusion traps was still rewarding and fun.

Fappy said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
That game was awesome!

Shake, shake.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Otaku World Order said:
Undead Knights on the PSP-Yeah, it's a fairly mindless hack and slash, but it's a mindless hack and slash where you can turn enemies into your own personal zombie army. Also, the soundtrack is by a band called Lightning Swords of Death. Awesome.

Red Ninja: End of Honor on PS2-The graphics were mediocre and the camera sucked, but I loved this game. Kurenai, a female ninja clad in a skimpy red kimono, came equipped with handy wire weapon that allowed plenty of ways to impale, decapitate and even hang enemies which made non-stealth combat much more fun then in Tenchu.

Trapt on PS2-Tecmo's fourth Deception game had some slowdown and camera issues, but leading enemies into traps, especially the killer Dark Illusion traps was still rewarding and fun.

Fappy said:
crazyfoxdemon said:
That game was awesome!

Shake, shake.
Hahaha, I totally forgot about that.

Truth be told, I never actually owned the game myself. I should pick it up next time I see it. Haven't bought an N64 game since last Christmas. I bought Diddy Kong Racing and Super Man 64 for my sister and told her she couldn't play Diddy Kong Racing until she beat Super Man 64... I didn't enforce that rule after having failed to get past the first level myself >.>

douggie9x

Dec 21, 2011
i played this game at a friend of mines once
then i saw it in a shop and bought it
gitaroo man
its like a dance dance game, where you fight enemies [like a robot shark and a black guy in a bee costume] with a gitaroo
its weird [japanese], great songs, colorful and so addictive
and some parts are incredibly challenging
great game all in all