Have you ever discovered a hidden gem of a game?

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I played this cute little RPG by Tim Scafer called "Costume Quest". It was a lot of fun and really really friggin' cute.

Edit: I never heard of that game. Of course, I never heard of a lot of games unless I see it here.

Bryan Jue

Mar 18, 2010
The SNES game EVO: The Search for Eden, found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.V.O.:_Search_for_Eden.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Battle-stations Pacific, a good rts mixed with a good plane/ship fighter made a really great online game.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
My parents bought me My Friend Koo for my tenth birthday. It was really hard but really good.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Recently picked up a game from GOG called "Realms of the Haunting". Old FPS/Adventure game. Long story short: It's awesome. Bit cheesy, but awesome.

Also, Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. Best post-apocalyptic, basketball themed JRPG ever. And it's free, so there is that.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Found it one day at a BlockBusters (this was a long time ago) for ten bucks. Fell in love almost immediately. I say almost because I had to start playing it first. I don't understand why this game isn't more popular. I blame marketing.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Spongebob the movie the game. Don't look at me like that.....Stop it!.... screw you... *sob*...

No I actually got this game from a aunt when I was about 12. Now I was thinking "the fuck?..okay..."

A few weeks it just took up space, yet one day I was bored so I poped it in the old game cube and I must say IT WAS FUN AS HELL. I mean I was a bit skeptical and just going to see how long I could tolerate it. It was fun though, really. It had a little level system and I mean it actually drew me in a little. I loved the movie, the game used the settings of the movies tastefully. It was very fun and the last battle is actually kinda hard if you don't upgrade the right abilities.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I got some

Boiling Point: Road to Hell

Reminded me a bit of Stalker, the big problem is that it isnt very polished.

Cortex Command

Very fun game that have a lot of unexpected twists in combat.

Risen

Dont know if a gem but it took me some time to find, a very cool alternative to "The Elder Scrolls" series.

Project Reality BF2 Mod

Not exactly a gem but it is one of a kind, and not a lot of people know about it so...
Usually more serious then in the video, but just as unique and full of teamwork

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
I found a copy of Hardwar for two dollars in a bargain bin at the electronics store, never heard of it before but it was quite well designed and even had live action cutscenes. It was a kind of an open ended flight simulator/trading game/RPG where you piloted a hovercar around a future dystopian city on Titan.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Anyone who wants a really fun singleplayer FPS would do well to check out Tribes: Vengeance. Great space opera storyline and gives players the best mobility I've ever encountered in an FPS, beating even UT.
Also, know what the guys who made it are currently working on? Bioshock Infinite. After having made a few years after T:V and System Shock 2 a few years before. In other words, they fucking have pedigree.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
I remember playing this Indiana Jones game as a kid, I think it was called Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb? Man, that game kicked ass.

Did anyone ever play a game for the Gamecube where you drove a spy car and had to blow shit up and stuff? I remember loving that game too but I've never heard anything about it since.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
The Blackwell trilogy, is such a gem. I never knew it existed, it was way out of my normal genres of games, and I am thoroughly enthralled with everything about it.

It is a point and click adventure game that is just great.

http://www.indieroyale.com/ go there now and you can pay what you want to get these awesome games along with some others.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Yes, its called God Hand.

Admittedly it wasnt much when i found it but its gained considerable visibility since then.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
phantom crash for the xbox. i picked it up think hey a 5 doller mech game should give me some laughs in the end i got by far my favorit mech game.
vaper trail for the sega genisis. that is all.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
BlackWidower said:
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Found it one day at a BlockBusters (this was a long time ago) for ten bucks. Fell in love almost immediately. I say almost because I had to start playing it first. I don't understand why this game isn't more popular. I blame marketing.
Alpha Centauri is an amazing game, and is considered by most critics to be a near perfect example of the genre. In fact, to this day it holds the record for the highest rating ever given a game in PC Gamer magazine's long history.

In other words, I'm a big fan too.

O.T: There's a little game I have called Moonbase Commander that I trot out every once in awhile when I'm bored. Imagine a base building game mixed with golf, set to a space esthetic. It's hard to describe so here's a video:

It's a wonderful feeling to make a perfect shot.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
piplink said:
on GOG.com i found a game called empire earth. it's free and it's a REALLY good RTS, it combines warcraft and civilization, you build up your empire from the stone age to the space age. FUN!
Correction - it WAS free, for a limited period of time. Now it's just a really good deal.

OT: There's this SNES game called "Terranigma". It hasn't got the best story ever, but it's one of the most unique JRPGs I've ever played. The battle system is real-time hack n' slash, and it's surprisingly fluid, really. It's worth a try.