Have you ever discovered a hidden gem of a game?

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
King Kong is the most immersive, cinimatic game I've ever played. Someone in one of this sites forums recommended it (I forget where) and it looked interesting so I bought it. I expected to enjoy it but I didn't expect to enjoy it that much. Anyone looking for an immersive action-adventure experience should play this game.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest

alwsome somewhat trippy food-chain type game
i got for only 5$

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
Disciples 1 and 2. Dark, gothic high fantasy turn based strategy game. Soooo addictive. Gog has them for cheap for any who are interested.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I didn't pay much attention to it, so it's prolly just me, but I just found Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga. It's a sequel to LEGEND OF THE SEVEN STARS. I loved that RPG!

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
Dominions 3 and Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space are both really neat games still available from Shrapnel Games.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
Let's see. Ghost trick and Radiant Historia, both for the DS. And the other day I downloaded Gyromancer on steam, and I'm finding that very fun! Oh, and Jade Cocoon, on my old Playstation. I played that to death as a kid!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Picked up NOX the other day when I saw it on sale from gog.com, remember it from when the game out as a friend owned it but I was never able to enjoy more that a few tastes as it wouldn't run on my old computer at the time.

Anyway picked it up and started playing it just recently and I'll be damned, it's actually really damned good. How'd a hack & slash of this calibur made by Westwood of all companies become so quickly forgotten? It's fantastic.

Jzcaesar

Mar 29, 2011
BlackWidower said:
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Found it one day at a BlockBusters (this was a long time ago) for ten bucks. Fell in love almost immediately. I say almost because I had to start playing it first. I don't understand why this game isn't more popular. I blame marketing.
One of my most favorite games ever. Not only did it give you the feeling no civ game ever had (omnipotence due to futuristic technologies - you could literally change the landscape through terraforming, among other things), but the quotations and cgi movies for the technologies and secret projects were so artistically chosen that they all helped build the atmosphere of the game. Not to mention that the leaders actually had real personalities.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Golden Sun.
Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Absolutely amazing games, I love them so much.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I do this a lot with music... Mores o than games... I colect gaming magazines, adn read them every month, so I am usually clued up before I get a game... However I have blind baught games before! MY favourite was Puzzle Quest! I love that game! I've had it on XBox Live Arcade, The DS and 2 Phones (My old Sony, and then my iPhone) and it is still awesome!

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Bad Jim said:
A shoot em up called Space Phallus, a free game. Yes, it's as disgusting as it sounds. The 8-bit graphic style is a good choice, because frankly I wouldn't want to look at anything more detailed.

But I played it anyway for a giggle, and then spent an entire day playing it because it is actually a really good schmup. I just wish it was a bit longer, because when I finished I felt rather unsatisfied. No I don't mean that, I mean it needs a few more levels.
That's what she said. (HUR HUR I SO CLEVER)

OT: For me, my most recent one was The Darkness for XBox 360. The game itself isn't great, but I found the plot-relevant cutscenes very immersive because for these, they stay in first-person. Also, this ugly, black-and-grey FPS managed to do something for me that no other game outside of Mass Effect has in a long time; it made me care about the love interest.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
King Kong: The game based on the Peter Jackson movie.

If you want a good movie tie-in game, King Kong it's the bill perfectly.

You have not experienced having to survive a strange, terrifying, and intensely dangerous land if you having been to Skull Island in that game.

I'm serious, it's perfectly paced, greatly well-designed, action-packed, you even get to play as King Kong himself, top that!

edit: Ack! ninja'd

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Actually I have.
I found a few years ago a Star Wars game called Republic Commando in the store. I didn't have anything to play and it was only 8? ao I bought it expecting nothing but a bit of FPS but it was a really great game.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
kya dark linage its is such a good 3d adventur platformers its just that the avertising sucked but yeah i found it somewhere so long ago i cant remeber

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
I can't believe how many AAA titles have been listed in here as "hidden gems"... Come on guys... I was looking forward to reading this thread and now I am thoroughly disappointed. I shall kill a kitten for this outrage.

Now let me try and think of a hidden gem... I am very mainstream you see...

I am gonna try think of a newish title because it is too easy to pick an old obscure game and pretend it is hidden (is by today's standards in most cases).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

How about Crayon Physics? Was a big deal I guess... Not OVERLY hidden. But that's the best a mainstream gamer like me can produce...

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Don't know if it really counts, but Men of War: Assault Squad; I'd never heard of it before a month ago. Haven't actually got it yet, but a few minutes at a friend convinced me; just need to wait another eight days...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
spinFX said:
I can't believe how many AAA titles have been listed in here as "hidden gems"... Come on guys... I was looking forward to reading this thread and now I am thoroughly disappointed. I shall kill a kitten for this outrage.
So, have you ever heard of "Glory of Heracles".